• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I guess this is what getting better looks like....

I started playing at 54, almost 55. I'm 58 now.

At first I thought the game was all about distance. Now i know better. Being able to throw the shot the hole requires and not go off into the weeds is so much more important.

That said, i do have a decent arm. I throw 380 on a easy hyzer and 400-440 RHBH when I get a D2 or D3 to turn. With with a power forehand I expect 345 or so, 370 if I get the weight transfer correct but that's rare. No, these aren't wild shots. They're controlled

Distance does help, A LOT. I can throw a mid 350 and get it to land soft and avoid the big skips a driver would take into danger. Being able to power an overstable fairway uphill under a low canopy is a very useful consistent shot.

I *have* realized that if i can't reach the green, can't reach the green safely, or I'm just not having a great day... Place a shot in position so my next shot can get me an easy putt. I've learned to play golf.

I'm now getting the consistency shaping shots that I need to compete with really good players that have been playing 10, 15 or more years.

One of my favorite local players is in his early 50's. He doesn't throw anything more than about 330 feet. You never watch his shots and say, "wow, i wish i could do that", because he never does anything you can't do. He just plays smart and consistent, and he consistently beats players that have much more power than him and have a wider shot arsenal to work with. I'm trying to learn to play like him, but I'm much more likely to play 15 holes of great golf and then throw double OB on the other 3 holes :(

I started playing at 54, almost 55. I'm 58 now.

At first I thought the game was all about distance. Now i know better. Being able to throw the shot the hole requires and not go off into the weeds is so much more important.

That said, i do have a decent arm. I throw 380 on a easy hyzer and 400-440 RHBH when I get a D2 or D3 to turn. With with a power forehand I expect 345 or so, 370 if I get the weight transfer correct but that's rare. No, these aren't wild shots. They're controlled

Distance does help, A LOT. I can throw a mid 350 and get it to land soft and avoid the big skips a driver would take into danger. Being able to power an overstable fairway uphill under a low canopy is a very useful consistent shot.

I *have* realized that if i can't reach the green, can't reach the green safely, or I'm just not having a great day... Place a shot in position so my next shot can get me an easy putt. I've learned to play golf.

I'm now getting the consistency shaping shots that I need to compete with really good players that have been playing 10, 15 or more years.

Man, I would love to be able to throw like that...........

There is a certain satisfaction in adding up the scores at the end of a round and seeing surprise in the eyes of the younger, big arms. As they picked up 6 birdies and end up +2 for the round and I quietly shoot a -1 with only a couple birdies. They usually cannot figure out how, a seemingly quiet, unspectacular round beat them.

Yup holding it together is invaluable.. I won one tournament.. Came in really wet, really cranky, and really late compared to the other groups. Someone asked what I shot and I'd lost 3 bad strokes because of weather and slow group.. My response was something like "******* -14" and they're "you're sure?" I'm like "yeah I crapped it on the last 3 holes". " Well you just won by a stroke!"

330-340' is about the most I can get.(

I've played with 50+ ams and pros. If you can routinely throw 330 accurately off the tee, you are right there with them. However.. the game is lost and won in our division from 200ft in. Your approach and putting game has to be on point. There will always be a few guys that can air bomb 400, but again...it's all about the short game. Congrats, sounds like you're doing awesome. Took me much longer to get that kind of distance.

I started at the age of 50, 58 now. I worked out a few things along the way. Weight matters at our age. I needed to throw further and dropping down in weight on my drivers added distance. Some of my drivers are down at 150g. Not the Blizzard or Air stuff since rims break down to quickly.

Keep in mind the discs get flippy as you drop down in weight. So really stable 150g disc turns over and then will flex adding that elusive distance you are after. there are some other factors as well but you can get where you want to be by selecting proper weights.

Don't take my word, take a moment and go to YouTube and look at the "Best Disc Golf Disc" series and see if they can help you find the information you need to go after a bit more distance.

This video "How to Choose the Right Disc Golf Driver Weight" covers the science and the rest of the series will cover a list of items useful for your game.

I picked up the game at 50, and started playing rounds regularly at 52. I'm 54 now, and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think I'm moving forward.

Two years ago, I was maxing out at 300', and I figured I would be throwing 400' by now, but not even close. 330-340' is about the most I can get. But I've become much more efficient at getting to the basket, throwing the drive that gives me the best second shot. I know my disks, and I keep it simple, rarely regretting my choice. Max distance? Starlite Wraith. Headwind drive? MF Thunderbird. 300' on a rail? Champ Sidewinder. 275' approach? Fusion EMac Truth. Hyzer approach? Gator or Justice. Turnover approaches? GStar Aviar or Mako3.

Two weeks ago, I threw even par, 18 straight pars, on my home course, which is wide open, and fairly long. That means I left three birdies on this course, but there are three par threes that are unreachable, so having no bogies is pretty amazing. Yesterday, I played 18 technical wooded holes on another course and ended up five strokes clear of two players who are better than I am.

The player I was two years ago would not be impressed with the player I am now. If we were to play, he would have a hard time understanding why he was getting his butt kicked.

I guess what has surprised me most is how little physically has changed in my game, but how much has changed between the ears.

For those of you who have picked up the game for the first time at 40 or older, have you progressed in a similar way?

FYI, I would still like to throw 400'; I just haven't figured that part out yet.......:(

I am 58 and have been playing for eight years. My first four were similar to the OP. Injuries than greatly slowed my progress.

Now, I have come to realize I need to spend less time playing and practicing, and more time on my fitness and endurance if I am to have any chance of improving my scores.

Also, I am reducing everything. I have a cart and tournament bag, but I am now carrying the lightest shoulder bag I could find that would hold a dozen discs. And those discs are collectively lighter, slower and more versatile. For instance, I have a Pro Thunderbird that barely turns or fades bh, fh or thumber. I can grip it in all conditions and it absorbs tree hits. I have other discs that will outperform it for all those shots, but the marginal improvements aren't worth the loss of consistency or added weight. Boring is scoring when you're playing for par, and the less you drag around the course with you the more energy you have to give to your game.

Yep I'm a huge believer in my double nutsac.. A lot of times I only play with one pocket full so I can still play with it on my back, sometimes I use a carabiner to clip it on to my belt loop as well so it stays put

There is a certain satisfaction in adding up the scores at the end of a round and seeing surprise in the eyes of the younger, big arms. As they picked up 6 birdies and end up +2 for the round and I quietly shoot a -1 with only a couple birdies. They usually cannot figure out how, a seemingly quiet, unspectacular round beat them.

What you said. Although I aspire to throw farther, in the end, I want to maximize what I do best.

I'm 34 and if I want a consistent fairway drive, I'd say I am getting 225 to 250 feet. I feel like a noodle arm. I was always a pitcher, 3rd base, and catcher in baseball.

I pitched well not due to speed, but I was one of the most consistent throwers which I guess is why I played those positions. Hitting the ball I was pretty damn good at.

I said that because I think maybe I worry more about going all out and have a wild throw regardless of if it was a disc, ball, etc. I've been told I round out when I throw a disc and that's what I work on now. Slowing down is helping my form, but I still get jealous at people who can crush it.

IMO if you can be consistent throwing 300+, that's more impressive than throwing 400 and being a wild man.

I'm 63 and have been playing 5 1/2 years. I've gotten to where I can usually get par or minus one or two on my local course (Picnic Island) from the short tees. Most of my improvement has been in the last two years when I have been starting to get better at forehand.

My distance keeps improving as well. The other day at the practice field I sailed one over the baseball diamond fence just long of where I throw. It was a 330 foot toss but unfortunately landed inside a locked field. I'm only 5'6" so scaling a six foot chain link fence wasn't fun but watching the disc go over the fence certainly was. :)

I picked up the game at 50, and started playing rounds regularly at 52. I'm 54 now, and I'm not where I thought I'd be at this point, but I think I'm moving forward.

Two years ago, I was maxing out at 300', and I figured I would be throwing 400' by now, but not even close. 330-340' is about the most I can get. But I've become much more efficient at getting to the basket, throwing the drive that gives me the best second shot. I know my disks, and I keep it simple, rarely regretting my choice. Max distance? Starlite Wraith. Headwind drive? MF Thunderbird. 300' on a rail? Champ Sidewinder. 275' approach? Fusion EMac Truth. Hyzer approach? Gator or Justice. Turnover approaches? GStar Aviar or Mako3.

Two weeks ago, I threw even par, 18 straight pars, on my home course, which is wide open, and fairly long. That means I left three birdies on this course, but there are three par threes that are unreachable, so having no bogies is pretty amazing. Yesterday, I played 18 technical wooded holes on another course and ended up five strokes clear of two players who are better than I am.

The player I was two years ago would not be impressed with the player I am now. If we were to play, he would have a hard time understanding why he was getting his butt kicked.

I guess what has surprised me most is how little physically has changed in my game, but how much has changed between the ears.

For those of you who have picked up the game for the first time at 40 or older, have you progressed in a similar way?

FYI, I would still like to throw 400'; I just haven't figured that part out yet.......:(

Mike, I can honestly say that my experience is VERY similar to yours. I started playing at 45, seriously at 47. Progressed to your exact point within four years ... Stayed there for a long time. Focused on doing the things I do well, until I get to a point of minor improvements. Then went back to focus on distance. I'm 58 now and I probably have the most consistent distance I've every had. Don't get me wrong, all along I might blast one throw here and there between 400-440. But rarely with consistency and accuracy worth doing it until the last two years Now I can at about 400. Does it matter? Well like this ... two things. If you can accurately throw all the shots in the tightest of fairways, then probably not. However, what more distance adds is 1) on certain deigned holes an opportunity to take the trouble out of play, and 2) an opportunity to throw a slower disc in certain situations, thus adding accuracy.

You CAN improve your distance when older, if you are in decent shape and you focus on the keys to that. I recommend making the short game as great as you can, and THEN doing the key things to improving distance.

Last edited:
Greetings fellow Geezers!

I started playing at 50, soon to be 58...in that time my distance has maxed out about 300 feet, occasionally I can get one out there a bit further....

For me, it is more about the accuracy of the throw, not how far I can throw it...what good is a 400 foot throw if you are out of position for your next throw...granted, on open holes, max distance certainly helps a lot, but on a technical course, a big arm is not that much of an advantage.

Case in point: On our semi annual DG trip, the Old Geezer's, travelled to Monroe, LA. While playing Chennault Park, we ran into a couple of locals, and played the Green course with them. One older guy (a few years older than us), and one younger guy (maybe 30 something). Both had very long throws, 350 to 400 easily, and they knew the course. Even though they were out distancing us on every throw off the tee box, we were still able to keep up and card pars pretty consistently. We even won the tee box a couple of times. Here is why: a little over halfway through the round, the younger guy says: "your upshots are awesome, you guys are ALWAYS around the basket". My response was: "Thanks, we have to be accurate on our second shots because our drives leave much to be desired".

With that being said, would I still like to be able to throw 400....absolutely! Do I think I will ever get to that point? Not likely, at my age. I have played 108 courses, of those 108 courses, most of the holes are under 500 feet. If I had to make up a number for percentage of holes OVER 500 feet, I would guess less than 10% of the holes, I've played, are over 500 feet. So, I tend to like more technical courses, not the open bomber courses.

The Geezer's recently went to Marrero, LA to play the course at Parc des Familles, a fairly new course designed by John Houck. An absolutely beautiful course that has some very long, technical holes, and a few big bomber holes. We played from the Red Tees (middle tees) and I ended up +8, mostly due to not knowing the course and the best landing zones. One of the other Geezers shot +2.

The moral of this entire story (especially at Parc des Familles) is ACCURACY trumps DISTANCE, nearly all the time.

A footnote on Chennault Park, everyone should go and play the Culvert Course! That was a really fun course, not very long, not very technical, but a lot of fun to throw.

Latest posts