• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I had an epiphany on the disc golf course today...

CWSfan16

Bogey Member
So, the other day I was playing Silver-Gold at Oregon Park in Marietta, GA, and I came upon the 11th hole. I was just messing around and I threw a Valkyrie on a hyzer. The disc just flattened out and went completely straight. I was baffled. I never thrown a Valkyrie that straight. The next hole is a downhill, open shot and it is a hole that my friends and I usually throw 2 or 3 discs on. So, I took out three "useless" discs, Dragon, Valkyrie, and Archangel, and I tried releasing all them the same way, hyzer out of the hand, and they all flattened out, turned a little right, then came back nicely. I used to stay away from all these discs since the only thing I could get these discs to do is pretty much turnover into rollers out of my hand.

Is this the way these discs are supposed to be thrown (with about a 30 degree hyzer angle)? Or am I just experiencing dumb luck with discs that I never use?

This is my go-to shot with my Leopard.

There are so many discs that I thought were absolutely unusable that I am beginning to look into again.

I have always heard of the term "hyzer-flip" but never knew what it was until now.

It's kind of tragic that you've played 2.5 years without ever seeing the beauty of the hyzer flip.

This is why discs like beat Leopards, and Archangels are not "bad" discs. They can be thrown different ways to achieve new lines.

What other discs can one hyzer-flip? Can I assume that is I can do it with a Valkyrie, then I can also accomplish it with a Katana, Vulcan, Beast, or Archon (pretty much anything understable)? Also, does it have to be a beat in disc, or does it work with brand new discs as well?
So many question on a new throwing style :doh:

What other discs can one hyzer-flip? Can I assume that is I can do it with a Valkyrie, then I can also accomplish it with a Katana, Vulcan, Beast, or Archon (pretty much anything understable)? Also, does it have to be a beat in disc, or does it work with brand new discs as well?
So many question on a new throwing style :doh:

And Sidewinder. That's my go-to driver and I play a lot of heavily wooded courses. I have a few in various stages of beat that I choose depending on how much more or less turnover I need.

You're pretty much right on with the 'anything understable' idea. In my experience, it's harder to hyzer flip higher speed discs like some of those you mentioned. It takes a good rip to get a katana or vulcan to stand up, and might just hold the hyzer all the way to the ground. A beast or archon might be better options, depending on your power level. I like to use an X Xpress or a star sidewinder. With about ~300' of power the xpress generally flips up, glides straight then finishes right, the sidewinder will usually do the same but finish left . Mess around with different levels of understability / amount of hyzer / power you put into the throw to see what kind of lines you can achieve!

Still a touchy shot. Get the "hyzer" part a little off or anything with mechanics and bu bye disc. Its not like discovering what a hyzer flip is means you should be throwing them all the time unless you get that good. For the average player there are usually safer options.

i use the underworld for hyzerflips. Great disc for this actually,,keeps turning even more than an amp or sidewinder. Always a big risk/reward shot for me though. I know if it get it wrong i might be in big trouble.

I remember how excited I was when I figured it out. It's a fun line to throw and a beauty to watch.

Still a touchy shot. Get the "hyzer" part a little off or anything with mechanics and bu bye disc. Its not like discovering what a hyzer flip is means you should be throwing them all the time unless you get that good. For the average player there are usually safer options.

i use the underworld for hyzerflips. Great disc for this actually,,keeps turning even more than an amp or sidewinder. Always a big risk/reward shot for me though. I know if it get it wrong i might be in big trouble.

Actually, missing the hyzer angle by a couple of degrees with an understable disc will have a better outcome than missing a perfectly flat release if you are wanting a straight shot. Probably 75% of the throws I make are at least with a little bit of hyzer.

I have to disagree too. Some shots just come together more naturally for players. We've all seen the guys who toss nothing but one style of shot over and over again in every situation they can do it. A player's "go to" shot is usually the one they are most comfortable and confident with. The better the player though, the more variety of confident shots they have to compensate for the course and conditions. But I think everyone has a favorite to some degree.
(Since mine happen to be the hyzer flip and spike hyzers I thought I'd pop in :) )

Last edited: