• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I HATE poison ivy

pacrat77j

Thats really it. I hate it :mad:. I got into some at Bear Creek in DFW and am now covered in the stuff. The government should make it illegal.

Thats really it. I hate it :mad:. I got into some at Bear Creek in DFW and am now covered in the stuff. The government should make it illegal.
I'm really really sorry. We have Poison Oak out here. It sucks. If you can get a doctor to give you a 2-week steroid pack at the first sign of outbreak it won't be so bad.

Prevention is best. Buy Tecnu. Keep it in your bag. Use it. Trust me.

I think we all do. Luckily I don't get it as bad as the other members of my family (for them it spreads EVERYWHERE within a day or two) but I have had it pretty much the whole summer. Just a patch here or there but it's ussually on my legs where my dress socks rub them all day and it drives me nuts!

I got a pretty bad case in July while clearing brush for a new hole at a local course, but Zanfel fixed me right up. It actually cures you after the rash has already appeared, if it comes to that.

and at one point I had it on my butt cheek. I have no idea how it got there, but it sucked. In the past I have gotten it on more personal areas, shall we say, and that was interesting. One minute I'm inching and the next I'm having a good ol time.

My wife and I looked deep in the woods for her disc and the next day she was the only one to break out. Not sure why but I have never gotten it and have been head high into it.

My wife on the other hand looks at from a mile away and is infected for 8 months.

It's an allergic reaction---some people have varying degrees of immunity. (Don't you hate them?)

The danger is that you can't count on that immunity. I suffered from bad reactions as a child but none as an adult, despite plenty of encounters, until....prepping a course for a tournament, when I weedeated a huge patch, effectively aerosoling it. Bad reaction, and allergic ever since.

Go see the Dr - get the steroid shot plus something called diprolene and take some benedryl. It worked great for my wife and she cleared up quickly.

Thankfully I am one of the 15% that are not allergic to urushiol so I can play in the poison ivy all day and it has no affect on me.

Still getting over my worst ever breakout that started about 3 weeks ago. Sucks so bad. I probably won't go back to that course until winter.

doesn't anyone know that once the avg person touches poison ivy it doesnt appear as a rash for 48 hours - if you play your round and wash off where you think you got hit within a reasonable amount of time u shouldn't get a rash. Anything from soapnwater to gasoline works to clean it off.

but yes its annoying when you are knowingly are walking thru it - and the worst is when it gets in your bloodstream and can wind up anywhere on ur body

It's an allergic reaction---some people have varying degrees of immunity. (Don't you hate them?)

The danger is that you can't count on that immunity. I suffered from bad reactions as a child but none as an adult, despite plenty of encounters, until....prepping a course for a tournament, when I weedeated a huge patch, effectively aerosoling it. Bad reaction, and allergic ever since.

yep, i grew up on a farm in the sticks and was around it a lot and never had it until i suddenly became allergic at age 28- have gotten it ever since.:mad:

could be worse... could be chiggers.

I had to have gone through some going through OU's new course. That is some deep deep stuff.

could be worse... could be chiggers.

Yeah, but you can get rid of chiggers a lot quicker with some clear finger-nail polish. Do that and they're gone in less than a week, but poison ivy lasts at least 3 times as long.

I consider it a minor miracle I haven't gotten into any since I started. I've been in the thick underbrush on many courses, in the spring and summer, and I am VERY allergic to poison ivy, but never had so much as a spot from it... and saying this probably jinxed it, but until I get in it I'll just keep counting my blessings.

and the worst part is that is feels soooooooo good when you itch it.

hahahaha agreed - i've got a random case of it behind my knee - i may be sick but i seriously enjoy scratching it then splashing rubbing alcohol on it

The best advice for dealing with Poison Ivy:

Don't throw into the woods, then you won't have a problem.

/sarcasm

Last edited:

Latest posts