• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I HATE poison ivy

I get it really bad. Working in a hot kitchen does not help at all.

In addition to the usual wash, clean, alcohol wipes etc. I have learned to eat oatmeal when I have a bad case. Not sure why but it seems to make it itch less and go away quicker. Biological warfare:D

My hotel had a white sale a few years ago and I bought a lot of extra sheets for pennies on the dollar. When I have Poison Ivy I wrap my legs (or arms) in a sheet while watching TV on the couch and I also change the sheets in my bed daily. The sheet keeps me from digging into the skin while scratching and any urishiol oil or oozings rub off on the sheet instead of the couch. A new sheet every day keeps me from re-coating myself with the oil. The sheets are also light enough to keep heat from building up making the situation much worse.

I never got it until my last disc golf trip. And it wasn't even my disc that was thrown in the woods. Some bastard who was playing before our group threw it into the woods and i got it helping him look for it! Wheres the karma in that!?!?

But anyway poison ivy heals well and stops spreading when you use the juices from a jewelweed plant. Jewelweed usually grows around wet places and you can look it up online to find out what it looks like. It helps with poison ivy, bug bites, apparently bruises and quite a bit more.

Most poison ivy products actually if you read the back contain jewelweed. So why spend money for it when you can get it for free?

Yeah, but you can get rid of chiggers a lot quicker with some clear finger-nail polish. Do that and they're gone in less than a week, but poison ivy lasts at least 3 times as long.

Been in both and I think chiggers are the worst thing I have ever experienced on a course. Except the occasional douche bag.

Biscoe only lives about 90 minutes from me so I know some of the same chiggers.

The real thing is we have meaner chiggers than any scrawny thing in Texas (and better looking women too).

that sucks dude...BC's a b!tch when it comes to poison ivy...for all of those that dont know, the sanctioned tourney they hold here every year is named very appropriately the "poison ivy open" :)

im pretty lucky though...i can roll in it, crawl in it, hell i can even wipe my a$$ with it and not be affected lol

that sucks dude...BC's a b!tch when it comes to poison ivy...for all of those that dont know, the sanctioned tourney they hold here every year is named very appropriately the "poison ivy open" :)

im pretty lucky though...i can roll in it, crawl in it, hell i can even wipe my a$$ with it and not be affected lol

me either, when i was 4, my daycare class had picture day, the idiot photographer put us all in poison ivy for the shot, the whole class broke out with it a few days later, i was the only one not affected. Still have been lucky to this day, knock on wood.

Yes agreed, chiggers are wayyyyy worse.

me either, when i was 4, my daycare class had picture day, the idiot photographer put us all in poison ivy for the shot, the whole class broke out with it a few days later, i was the only one not affected. Still have been lucky to this day, knock on wood.

hahahaha what a dumbass...lol...you do know that some peoples "immunity" to poison ivy drops as they get older...hopefully thats not that case for me

I agree with whoever said Tecnu, it is great stuff. Poison oak really sucks.

Reminds me of this time me and the wife were headed back from a round, on the back county roads.
Came around this corner and down in the ditch, wrapped around a phone poll, was a car with someone in it. I grabbed the cell, called 911, then popped the trunk and grabbed the first aid kit, and ran out to the rescue.
Needless to say ran right through a patch of poison ivy, while in sandals and no socks.
Every other day was in for shots, and off of work for 2 weeks.
But the good thing is the guy survived, all because I stopped.
So it was worth it.

Never had it, knock on wood. I do remember my grandfather pulling it up with his bare hands and not being affected, so hopefully I got the same immunity.

On the other hand, mosquitoes and blackflies will go out of their way to bite me, even if I'm in a crowd.

We have it in our back yard. It SUCKS! i dont throw there anymore just incase my disc ends up in it, i dont wana fish it out.

Poison ivy can ruin your day and the next several days thereafter. Super Ivy Dry works well for me. Most importantly is not to scratch it all, especially right when you get in contract with it. I feel that goes a long way to minimizing the severity of it. If there is a lot on the course that I know of ahead of time, I always were long pants.

Our sports lotion is a great treatment for poison ivy. It dries up the blisters overnight and prevents itching and neutralizes the irritant oils.

Lotion can be ordered from www.handssweatnomore.com

Regards,

Carvel58

And thanks ever so much for the unsolicited marketing sent as a private message. That's why I love this website---I can't get enough spam in my regular e-mail, so I can supplement it here.

Can't imagine trusting the product of a company that demonstrates such conduct, though.

It's odd that I have never gotten PI at Bear Creek, but I have had PI 3 times this year. 2 times at Arcadia Park, and 1 time at Cedar Hill.

It does suck. I'm finally PI free now, we'll see after this weekend though.

and, this year is the first time I have ever gotten it. never before in my live. I'm 35 now so you may loose your immunity over time.

and, this year is the first time I have ever gotten it. never before in my live. I'm 35 now so you may loose your immunity over time.

The more you flaunt your immunity by rolling around in it the more likely you are to develop the allergy. I'm not saying you did that as a child, but it's poetic justice for those who do. :p

I did a little research about poison ivy this summer when I had my case. Apparently the current wisdom is that the more you're exposed to it the more likely you are to develop the allergy, even if you weren't born with it. I also read that a person's allergy to it can wax and wane over time, so even if you had a strong allergy to it as a child, you may go through cycles during your life when you're less allergic. That would explain how I had a run of full-body poisoon ivy rashes as a child, then went a couple of decades without having any reaction at all, and then have had what I now recognize as two serious reactions in two years.

That's my experience, too. Bad reactions as a child, immunity for much of my adult life, regained my allergy when I weedeated (and aerosoled) a patch during course maintenance.