• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I learned a new throw today. The Chicken Wing. Any other throws rarely seen today?

Disc Dog

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I was playing at my home course today and met a guy by the name of Dave Tyree from Richmond VA. We got to talking and played a few holes together. Had a great time listening to him talk. He has been playing steady for over 30 years. We talked mostly discs and throws and he asked me if I had ever heard of a throw called a "chicken wing". I looked at him silly and said no.

After he explained and showed me how I gave it a try. First throw was over 200'. It flies very similar to a flick but it goes straighter longer before the fade.

To do this you hold the disc in your hand with the thumb on the bottom and fingers on top. Kind of an upside down fan grip. You bring the disc from behind, at about waist level, with a sidearm style release, not with the elbow tucked like the flick but with the arm fully extended, and the disc level to the ground. The release point is at about shoulder height. It works like a whip and it comes off the thumb with a lot of spin. I think more than the flick.

I had more power and distance than my flick.

This got me to thinking. All of you guys that have played for a while are there any other throws you rarely see anymore?

I think this chicken wing, in the right circumstance, will help my game. Maybe any others might also.

If I understand what you're saying, and I think that I do, try taking the same grip and throw with a generally normal RHBH motion. Yes, you're throwing the disc totally upside down. I use this for close in shots under really windy conditions or to get under low branches, etc. The disc just slides on it's top and skids along the ground.

I think that this might be related to a "Scoobie" shot but I'm not 100% sure what a Scoobie looks like.

I do that to get under trees and stuff all of time.

But I recently got corrected about calling it a Scoobie. According to the guy who corrected me a true scoobie is a type of roller that is tucked into your chest and flicked out. It is used much the same way as what you and I have been calling a scoobie

Pretty sure the "scooby" is a roller shot, where you hold the disc in your hand and roll your wrist backward as if rolling the disc up your arm and onto/over your shoulder. (i think).

Kind of. But the grip is different and it won't fly like a thumber. It flies like a backhand.

I always thought that the chicken wing was a backhand throw where you tucked your wrist into your armpit and let 'er rip. I might have just been confused though, because I know the throw you are talking about but i've never known the name for it.

I once saw a guy throw the chicken wing down here in Virginia Beach. Weird.

A shot I don't see much of is the tamahawk/thumber. I see no real use for these except to get out of trouble occasionaly.

A shot I don't see much of is the tamahawk/thumber. I see no real use for these except to get out of trouble occasionaly.

We have a guy named Tony here that uses thumbers/tomahawks almost exclusively. He was a professional baseball player, until he tore up a leg, and has a deadly accurate canon for an arm.

It may have been the same guy. He said he plays the tournaments at Bayville.

chicken wing

I have see some older guys throw the chicken wing. But mostly guys who play with lids (ultimate discs) But it does work for disc golf also.
And where I am from a scooby has nothing to do with a roller. It is a shot upside down to slide under trees.

I was playing at my home course today and met a guy by the name of Dave Tyree from Richmond VA. We got to talking and played a few holes together. Had a great time listening to him talk. He has been playing steady for over 30 years. We talked mostly discs and throws and he asked me if I had ever heard of a throw called a "chicken wing". I looked at him silly and said no.

After he explained and showed me how I gave it a try. First throw was over 200'. It flies very similar to a flick but it goes straighter longer before the fade.

To do this you hold the disc in your hand with the thumb on the bottom and fingers on top. Kind of an upside down fan grip. You bring the disc from behind, at about waist level, with a sidearm style release, not with the elbow tucked like the flick but with the arm fully extended, and the disc level to the ground. The release point is at about shoulder height. It works like a whip and it comes off the thumb with a lot of spin. I think more than the flick.

I had more power and distance than my flick.

This got me to thinking. All of you guys that have played for a while are there any other throws you rarely see anymore?

I think this chicken wing, in the right circumstance, will help my game. Maybe any others might also.

do you have a video? what about the grenade?

Last edited:
Chicken Wing throw at 1:36

Is that what you're talking about?

I was just going to look for that video. That indeed is the Chicken Wing. One problem with the throw is that it is VERY easy to dislocate your shoulder or blow out your elbow if thrown incorrectly.

With that warning, I've heard that the chicken wing will give you more power than any other throw out there.

ive thrown that with a catch frisbee, seemed hard to get any real distance on it...maybe it was just me

LOVED that video! The first couple of shots were taken at Kingsley Civic Center, and that same Chicken Wing guy played through on us at Flip last weekend!

Latest posts