• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] I lost by beloved Leopard DX, HELP?

rjm35126

It came with my beginner set. My phone number was on it but nobody has called.

It was 143g and it was beat all to heck from hitting lots of trees repeatedly. But I liked it. And I was comfortable with it.

During winter I was frustrated with my distance so I bought a Blizzard Champion Beast - 135g.

It did not give me more distance at the time and I did not really like the extra curve so I rarely used it, sticking with my tried & true Leopard.

When it warmed up, I got my distance back and then some and I am finally playing maybe 2-3 over par on my 12 hole beginner course, the only one I have played on.

2-3 over par is a huge improvement from just a few months ago so I am hopeful of continued gains. Then, last week, i lost my Leopard and was forced to use the Blizzard Beast. The curve is different and takes some getting used to but I have had some pretty good drives with it. But, I long for the Leopard. Even though on certain holes, the Beast is probably better to use.

Interestingly, I found someone elses Leopard a few months ago, I called him and left it in the park office for a couple months and he never came & got it so I reclaimed it. Its 164g and its just too heavy for me. It can be useful in heavy winds I guess but for everyday throwing, It just does not go as far as the lighter one I used for I guess about 9 months. I carry it in my bag but really, I just use the 3 that came with my set 95% of the time.
Until last week.

I am 56, 6-5 and 175 and have lost about 55 pounds of useless flab over the last year. Now I am concerned about losing too much weight. I can't really stand to lose much more.

So I guess I am looking for recommendations for a replacement disc. Walmart sells the Leopard but only in a range of 150-164 and I cannot pick what I want so its potluck. I already know 164 is too heavy for me.

I looked and found a Leopard3 which sounds good except my old leopard was not bad, but the lightest I could find it is 150g also.

What should I do? Stick with my Blizzard Beast or buy something else? The more expensive discs which I guess are better grade do not seem to come in lightweight versions.
And when I first got the 143g driver, I immediately got more distance.

One more thing, I usually play by myself and I play sort of fast, I try to get 30-40 minutes in and go home. I am thinking because I might be getting too skinny that I only play for 20-25 minutes and play less often. Also, for some reason, I seem to have lost my endurance versus last year. Last year, I could play for an hour without getting tired. Now, I'm ready to call it quits after 20 minutes but i have been sticking with it for cardio reasons. Could it be because I lost so much weight?

Id appreciate any help and/or suggestions.

I would just buy the 150gr Leopard at walmart. A few grams is not going to make that much of a difference.
A 150 DX Leopard is going to beat in pretty dang quick and be right where you old one was.

I cannot comment on your health or energy levels, sounds like good questions for a doctor. I will recommend going to discgolfcenter.com for replacing your Leopard disc. Dx Leopards are $7 a piece and if you buy 2 they ship them for free, you can pick your color and weight. I wouldn't get too concerned about 10 or 15 grams tho, any new disc you buy will need to be beat up to match the feel and flight of your old one. You could even try ebay and buy an older already beat in one. Good Luck!

Second the suggestion of going to DGC and getting a couple of Leopards.

And, bring a bag of trail mix or something, and nibble on that during the round to keep your energy up.

A 5g difference really shouldn't be noticeable. The PLH (Parting Line Height between the top and bottom pieces of the injection mold) and wear on the disc will have a lot more effect on the stability of the disc than minor weight differences. You may just want to look for something more straight/understable. You might enjoy a Latitude 64 River. It's similar to a Leopard but a little more understable and with more glide. I would worry a lot more about the mold than the difference between 150g and 143g.

We're Not Doctors...

...but you've asked some health related questions. For a man in his mid-50s, walking and throwing for an hour shouldn't deplete your energy stores. So that points to something with your metabolism and your diet.

Take this advice for what it's worth. You didn't say whether or not your weight loss was supervised by your doctor, or whether there were other health factors involved. So, I'd recommend that you meet with your doctor and go over your recent history. An analysis of your blood can give the doctor further insights. The causes may be hormonal, related to missing essential nutrients/vitamins, or something more serious. So have yourself checked.

Also, you didn't talk about your dietary habits. It may be that the times and way that you eat that are affecting your energy levels. Perhaps the doctor can recommend or refer you to a nutritionist to go over an eating plan that will give you better control over your energy.

Good luck. Phil

PS: The Leopard is a great disc. Keep throwing the one that you have and don't be discouraged.

Last edited:
For your health, talk to your doctor.

For discs, my recommendation is what others are recommending: get one or two 150g DX Leopards and keep on chuckin'...

Can't go wring with just getting another DX Leopard if that's what you like - otherwise if ordering online you can get exactly what you want - try infinitediscs.com -- and if youre open to other discs - try an MVP Signal (similar to the leopard) and you can get lower weights - or MVP Impulse ---im sure there are TONS of recommendations so good luck and have fun

When I want a disc in a specific weight, I usually order from Marshall Street. They list the weight and color of every disc they have uploaded for online sale. Other vendors, like Gotta Go Gotta Throw, allow you to request weight and color in your order. You can call them to see what they have available before you order.

I use a lot of DX Discs because they break in quickly and if I want to eliminate the fade right away and make it go straight, it's easy. Just fold and unfold it in half along the eight points of the compass. If that's not enough, then keep folding it in half in other locations. That gets it going straight immediately.

go Marshall Street and get a couple Leopards in the weight you want. they always have a nice selection.

When I want a disc in a specific weight, I usually order from Marshall Street. They list the weight and color of every disc they have uploaded for online sale. Other vendors, like Gotta Go Gotta Throw, allow you to request weight and color in your order. You can call them to see what they have available before you order.

I use a lot of DX Discs because they break in quickly and if I want to eliminate the fade right away and make it go straight, it's easy. Just fold and unfold it in half along the eight points of the compass. If that's not enough, then keep folding it in half in other locations. That gets it going straight immediately.

The second paragraph made my palms sweaty. :eek:

Does anyone have any experience with Leopard3?

Main street is not cheap enough.

Walmart, I might not have been clear, their site says 150-164 so you have no way of saying you want 150 or anything in between, you get what they send. (I thought about ordering 4 colors and keeping the lightest, returns are easy)

The site that has them for $6.99 with free shipping for 2 is where I am leaning. But then I wonder if I should not get something else, or a more durable disc? One man I sometimes play with raves about the more expensive discs, says they are just better all around. But, I can't see spending over $15 for a disc.

And part of me wants to hold off & hope someone returns the disc. I am going to put a sign up tomorrow. I fear someone may have tried to call and gotten a phone problem. Several businesses have told me my phone does not work when they call but I get some calls. My phone is an internet freebie with the device & google voice. Forgot the name of the device but you know what I am talking about. On my sign I will put my cell #.

My old one was so beat up I was looking for sandpaper to even the edge out. Could not find it in the dollar store and Lowes did not have a cheap sandpaper option. I think the cheapest option was $4+. I may have some around here too. If I get it back.

I have returned a half dozen discs in a year. So I thought I might get some good Karma the only time I lost one. SMH.

Also, the more I though the 135g blizzard beast or whatever it is, the more I think I can make it work. It seems like it would be more durable because it has a different shape and different plastic than the dx. My dx migrange & putter are holding up well.

I appreciate all the responses.

It seems to me that you can't afford to play disc golf. Maybe you could find someone to borrow some discs from, that way if you lose any you will not be out.

In the amount of time you're spent squeezing your hands and worrying about your lost, beat up paper plate of a disc, you could have collected enough empties on the course to exchange for enough nickels to pick up a used disc from the local brick n mortar. I'm not normally a bootstrap guy, but yeesh.

Latest posts