• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I made a wooden disc today :)

bobasaurus

Hello DGCourseReview folks. For my first post here, I thought I'd show something I made on my wood lathe today. This glorious creation is a solid mahogany disc golf disc (sorry for the poor pics):

Im6db.jpg

uEtU3.jpg

i7J31.jpg

mTMm0.jpg

spfSd.jpg

I modeled it after the innova beast in the pics. It's slightly thicker, but seems to weigh about the same overall. Since I just finished it and the day is late, I'll have to wait to try it out for real. I have tossed it into a pillow across the room and it seems to fly straight.

I doubt this will work very well in use, but the novelty of it makes me smile. I'll give it a go on the local course next time I go. If it breaks, I'll have to crank out another I guess.

That is SWEEEEET!! I totally respect woodworking, its a real artform being slowly lost to the digital generation.

I've talked about making both wooden and metal discs for a while now, and am super happy to see that you made one. It looks great. Solid mahogany sounds heavy, but I don't know much about the aerodynamic properties of different woods. Did you coat it with anything, or is that just naked?

looks cool! i hope it doesnt break on you with the time you spent on it! but if it does at least its a fun way to break something

Mahogany is actually fairly light as hardwoods go, with a fairly open-pored grain. It was the only piece of wood I had sitting around that was wide and thick enough to make this. I may have to buy some more and try other species if this is successful. I coated it with a food-safe oil that I usually apply to wooden bowls, just because oil finishes are easier to touch up than most others and it's what I had on hand. I'm certainly going to scratch and ding this thing up to hell while using it, so I wanted a finish I could reapply.

Beautiful work, but I'm curious...what does it weigh? And is it overstable or understable? :)

Tim S.
I'll weigh it when I get to work next week (we have a nice lab scale). Since I haven't flown it yet, I have no idea how it'll behave. Optimally, it'll work like the beast I shaped it after.

You may want to consider selling some as trophies for tournaments. I'd love to see a nice burled walnut River or a super-classy cedar Roc.

On another note, I bet it's great for those over the lake shots.

You may want to consider selling some as trophies for tournaments. I'd love to see a nice burled walnut River or a super-classy cedar Roc.

Commence bidding in 3, 2, 1... lol. I do have a great slab of box elder burl in the garage that would be sweet looking, though it still needs some drying time. I also have some nice local hardwood boards (including some walnut, though no burl) from a nearby sawmill that recycles unwanted wood (storms or construction waste trees) into nice lumber.

Good thought about the water hazards... floating over them brings a new element to the game :).

Wooden disc trophies with a logo on the front burned in the same way you put your logo on the back would be awesome! Better than the plastic ones nowadays.

Looks great! Definitely wouldn't be out throwing that, looks too nice! I may be interested in having you make a few said trophies. If you'd be interested in this shoot me a PM.

Zero glide, that's for sure... you should make a Comet! Then we could see what a glide less Comet flies like! :)

But really, great job! That's a really neat idea!

I'll buy 3. How much are you charging?

I would think that a disc mold with less weight in the rim would fly/glide better. Roc/aviar?

Last edited: