• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I made a wooden disc today :)

That is super cool! The stamp at the bottom really personalizes it. I would love to see how that thing flies, maybe a video of some practice flights? I think we would all love to see that.

I throw Beasts and would totally buy one of these for water shots... PM me if you intend to sell any...

I really dont think that these would fly anything like the plastic counterparts that they are modeled after

That is absolutely fantastic! I would maybe throw that once, and it would be into a pool of foam bricks, so as not to destroy it. I'm in agreement with everyone who said it should be used as a trophy. Nice work!

:hfive:

Very nice, would make a sweet wall hanger. Maybe engrave the 01 ce roc logo on it

This is great. I would love to have these to give out as trophies for a tournament. I'm curious to hear how it flies. :thmbup:

I wish i had a lathe so I could do this

Looks awesome and would make a sweet trophy like others have said

You may want to consider selling some as trophies for tournaments. I'd love to see a nice burled walnut River or a super-classy cedar Roc.

On another note, I bet it's great for those over the lake shots.

Don't they already have R-Pro Wood Rocs?

Also, that's a newer mold beast, right? Those are nothing compared to the old molds.

TROLL!!!

Just joshing you. That thing looks so tight. I have a friend that's working on doing something similar with carbon fiber, but still trying to find a good internal "filler." Nice work.

. I have a friend that's working on doing something similar with carbon fiber, but still trying to find a good internal "filler." Nice work.

Graphite or micro-balloons. It would only be good for a trophy as CF has a hard time withstanding shock. Its great with compression, ect., but will shatter with the sudden impact of a tree. I would try Kevlar before carbon.

OP, great job and I cant wait to hear how it flys! As said before, that would make an awsome trophy, great job!

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but. If the disc was modeled after a basic PUTTER I bet it would actually be pretty decent. or at least usuable. I would love to roll with a wooden putter...I mean, I'm sure the plastic company made discs would work better, but if you could just for fun have a wooden putter, I'm sure you can make plenty of putts with it.

so wooden PUTTER and wooden MINI's

I want one of each. Somebody hop to it and start a business. :)

Hi folks, I'm back from camping and can answer some more questions. It's good to see the response this is getting :).

I'd rather buy one from this creator, but if he decides to keep any created molds for himself, here is a link to where we all can buy one.
Wright Life

I had no idea this had already been done. Googling it didn't turn up much on my earlier search. So yeah, if you want one go for the website djschnabel gave. I couldn't make one for anything close to the price they're asking. If you really want one by me, and aren't afraid of the sticker shock involved, maybe PM me, but my production capability is pretty limited (just myself in my garage with my second-hand craigslist/ebay tools). I've gotten a couple requests already... I'll forward along the website as a better option.

That is super cool! The stamp at the bottom really personalizes it. I would love to see how that thing flies, maybe a video of some practice flights? I think we would all love to see that.

I actually screwed up the first stamp... that's why there are two. The slight curve I put on the inner wood face made my name not show up right (the only part I care about lol). The logo is engraved in a piece of brass that I thread onto a wood branding iron. Making custom logos would be expensive this way... maybe I could look into some laser engravers (there's a trophy store nearby that might do it).

I'm going to take this disc to the nearby course after work today (if it's not raining) and have a go at it. I gently threw it around in the desert a bit while camping, and it held up pretty well and seemed to show the same flight pattern as the original beast (low-speed fade seemed identical to the beast on the very short flights). I'll bring my camera in someday and see if I can get a flight video.

I just weighed the wooden disc, and it's only 156 grams, which is pretty surprising. The original beast is 170 grams (I re-weighed just to make sure the scale was right). I guess the mahogany is rather light after all. Experimenting around with other hardwoods and thicknesses should produce varying weights.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned this yet, but. If the disc was modeled after a basic PUTTER I bet it would actually be pretty decent. or at least usuable. I would love to roll with a wooden putter...I mean, I'm sure the plastic company made discs would work better, but if you could just for fun have a wooden putter, I'm sure you can make plenty of putts with it.

so wooden PUTTER and wooden MINI's

I want one of each. Somebody hop to it and start a business. :)

I think a putter would be hard, since it would get beaten up on the catcher's chains/basket/pole/etc. Drivers tend to land on grass and dirt, less likely to ding or crack the wood.

Latest posts