• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need a straight flying driver

If I could reliably get it out to 300 I wouldn't mind a little fade. Unfortunately most of my drives are 250-275 with an occasional bomb into the 325 range. It takes a big hill for me to throw further than that. I've really been working on midranges the last month or so and I'm getting a lot more accurate at 175-225 though. Hopefully some of that will translate to my drivers.

I've got a STAR TL and a STAR Valkyrie. Both are pretty straight with a typical drive, but both have a tendency to have some pretty big skips left after impact.

I've read on here that the Teebird can be thrown pretty hard without much high-speed turn. You might try that.

I don't throw Discraft either, I'm with Roc1time on that. I am a big Innova fan and just replaced my last Discraft disc in my bag (Elite-X Breeze) with the Champ Cobra. Now I have all Innova in my bag, been working on getting to that point for a while now. Anyway, that's off topic.

I used to throw some Discraft when I first started, and the Avenger SS was a really straight driver. If you have one Midnight, work with it and see if you can get the results you are looking for. I just recently bought a Star TL, and it is very straight, but does fade a little hard at the end since it is new. That may be another good option for you if you work with it too. I don't have a lot of D, so there is no way I can get 300ft out of the TL, but the disc has the potential to reach that, depending on how far you throw.

As others have posted though, a lot of being able to get the flight path of a disc that you are looking for is technique.

I have two banshees in DX plastic and just a few days ago I went out to the field and was throwing them around. I found they went pretty dang straight with only a tiny bit of fade at the end.

I don't throw Discraft either, I'm with Roc1time on that. I am a big Innova fan and just replaced my last Discraft disc in my bag (Elite-X Breeze) with the Champ Cobra. Now I have all Innova in my bag, been working on getting to that point for a while now. Anyway, that's off topic.

I used to throw some Discraft when I first started, and the Avenger SS was a really straight driver. If you have one Midnight, work with it and see if you can get the results you are looking for. I just recently bought a Star TL, and it is very straight, but does fade a little hard at the end since it is new. That may be another good option for you if you work with it too. I don't have a lot of D, so there is no way I can get 300ft out of the TL, but the disc has the potential to reach that, depending on how far you throw.

As others have posted though, a lot of being able to get the flight path of a disc that you are looking for is technique.

I was doing some thinking, and if you I am on a tight fairway, I think I will have to sacrifice a little distance for something that will be dead straight. I think I have been trying to find both in one disc, and I think I might be trying to ask too much from one disc.

I have both the SS Avenger and a TL and a Teebird -L, so I am going to go out this week and see what I can do. The TL has not been thrown much , and maybe after I break it in a little bit, it won't fade as much.

If the valk is beginning to turn right its probably just a little too beat in. Try a new one and see what happens since you got good results with it in the past.

If the valk is beginning to turn right its probably just a little too beat in. Try a new one and see what happens since you got good results with it in the past.

Yea, I got a Champ Valk that I am going to dust off and see what I can do with it.

For what it's worth, I've been pleasantly surprised by the consistency of my Sirius Orion LS. I find it to be extremely well behaved at any release angle, and it will hold a line much like the TL or even a Buzzz. I also use a Champion Orc for straight shots, but it has more fade at end, in addition to the fact that I have a nasty tendency to turn it over.

I've enjoyed reading posts in this forum for the past few months -- lots of great advice here. Thanks to all.

I have a 163 SOLS, that is a little beat, and I find it sometimes unpredictable. . Sometimes it goes right and fades back and sometimes it fades right away. If you don't throw it just right, it is very unforgiving.

I was doing some thinking, and if you I am on a tight fairway, I think I will have to sacrifice a little distance for something that will be dead straight. I think I have been trying to find both in one disc, and I think I might be trying to ask too much from one disc.

I have both the SS Avenger and a TL and a Teebird -L, so I am going to go out this week and see what I can do. The TL has not been thrown much , and maybe after I break it in a little bit, it won't fade as much.

midnightbiker- is it an espflx avenger ss? i've been told it makes a difference. espflx is much straighter. this disc has no dome, flat as can be. it's AWESOME.

midnightbiker- is it an espflx avenger ss? i've been told it makes a difference. espflx is much straighter. this disc has no dome, flat as can be. it's AWESOME.

I am not sure but I pretty sure the one I have is esp. I will look into the FLx.

Does anyone throw a Viking? That's listed as a really straight disc but I don't know anyone that uses it.

Both a beat DX Teebird or S Sabre will be super straight discs. The Teebird will start off with more fade but be longer on a lower line and the Sabre will start off straighter but require more height to get the same distance.

Valks or Teebirds thrown correctly fly true and straight. Can't beat em'

Does anyone throw a Viking? That's listed as a really straight disc but I don't know anyone that uses it.

One of my main drivers is a DX 150 Viking, it's straight with a slight fade at the end. I flip it occassionally at that weight. It's like a Valk but more stable with a little more fade.

I have been throwing a viking for 2 years, replaced my valkaries when they were worn. I rally like the disc, can throw it with a little "S", or dead straight with very little fade.

Interesting to read the different discs that have been mentioned here. I have thrown a Banshee and found it to be very overstable, perhaps the poster was referring to a dx model that was beat in. The ExCal is too overstable for me. I do not have a big or extremely fast arm. I get about 300-320 on average drives. I would recomend a SideWinder for straight shots if the fareway is not too tight, They will make an s as they fly and will need a fareway to be about 50 feet waide. A dx eagle is also another disc that goes straight for me, but has a smaller s. If you can get a JLS in Sirius plastic (the heavier the better) they will go very straight until they get beat in. I am now thowing a DGA Riptide that goes pretty far straight then has minimal fade, I just need to keep it low and level in minimize the fade on the RipTide. For drives less than 300 feet I use a Champ. Leopard.

I have a DX and a Champ. The DX seems to fly some what straight, the but the champ fades quite hard to the left at the end of the flight. It dosen't make sense, because the numbers say it shouldn't do that.

Latest posts