• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I really hate to bring this up yet again...

Streets...

To add me to your "ignore" list, simply follow these steps...

1) Go to the "User CP" link near the top of this page
2) Click the "Edit Ignore List" link
3) Search for "burdphil" in the "Add a member to your list" dialog box and click "Okay".

Very simple. Hope that helps!

I think the contention is that his foot is in contact with the grass which could be argued as being "the ground". In one instance, it's a fault. In the other, it's not. This is about as fruitful as the "conversations" about "more stable" and "more overstable" that were all the rage a year or two ago.

It doesn't matter if the grass is "the ground" or not: (emphasis added)

802.04 Throwing from a Stance
B. When the disc is released, a player must:

2. Have no supporting point in contact with the marker disc or any object (including the playing surface) closer to the target than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,

I have absolutely seen pro level players do this putt and it was illegal as all hell. They aren't practicing an illegal move, but after awhile they stop really concentrating on NOT stepping first. And honestly, I think it's fairly cheap. I think that most of those type of putts are probably Legal, but in a handful of instances somebody F's up and surely foot faults. But they step all the time so people just dont pay attention to it.

This is a Foot Fault. I would call it.

This is/was a close call, but why would anyone call a FF on a missed putt?

Because you desire to play by the rules and have everyone else do the same. On the very very few occasions where I have recognized one and called it on someone (and I say I "recognized" it was a foot fault, b/c I don't go looking for foot faults), I called it right away, before I knew whether the shot was any good or not. That way you only call it because it was a violation, not in response to what happened.

5e8.jpg

This will never stop. No matter what, even if Ulibarri quits dg and never picks up another disc, this will still be debated.

I think it's just too close to call in live play. You can't call a foot fault tomorrow from what you see today, and if you can't absolutely 100% be sure it was a fault on THAT throw/putt, then it's not foot fault. We can all sit here and play ESPN replay analyst, but in real time I just don't see that getting called on the course because it's simply too close to call.

This will never stop. No matter what, even if Ulibarri quits dg and never picks up another disc, this will still be debated.

I think it's just too close to call in live play. You can't call a foot fault tomorrow from what you see today, and if you can't absolutely 100% be sure it was a fault on THAT throw/putt, then it's not foot fault. We can all sit here and play ESPN replay analyst, but in real time I just don't see that getting called on the course because it's simply too close to call.
If this is the case then they should just make the step putt illegal altogether....How you say? Nothing other than the disc hand or arm can be in front of the marker when the putt is released.

Last edited:
As long as my foot is still "sinking down", it can't be called, right? To your point, no one is going to be able to definitively determine that in the matter of half a second. At 6'8" and with very long legs, I figure I can get at least a good 5' closer on every putt outside the circle. I am absolutely going to start practicing this...

Please post video immediately so we can freeze frame to our liking and start tireless threads of couch potato rules nazi'ing.

Streets...

To add me to your "ignore" list, simply follow these steps...

1) Go to the "User CP" link near the top of this page
2) Click the "Edit Ignore List" link
3) Search for "burdphil" in the "Add a member to your list" dialog box and click "Okay".

Very simple. Hope that helps!

First smart advice of this thread. Annnnndddd DONE :clap:

I bet you do this in other sports too....As I see a baseball pic for your avatar, I can only imagine the MLB threads you've clogged over screen capping a strike that was/wasn't called, a tag that was/wasn't in time, a homerun around the foul pole that did/didn't cross the plane.....

If this is the case then they should just make the step putt illegal altogether....How you say? Nothing other than the disc hand or arm can be in front of the marker when the putt is released.

This wasn't a putt by the rules though. So that would have to apply to every throw. Imagine how many screenshots we'll then get of players who are leaning forward a little too much on a fairway drive!

does look like foot touches the grass before release, but isn't weighted. They probably don't call it because it's a terrible putting style at that range and he'd probably make more putts if he changed it up.

I bet you do this in other sports too....As I see a baseball pic for your avatar, I can only imagine the MLB threads you've clogged over screen capping a strike that was/wasn't called, a tag that was/wasn't in time, a homerun around the foul pole that did/didn't cross the plane.....

Well, if you read all of my posts in this thread (which I'm assuming you can't now that I'm on your ignore list, which is fine), you would know that I came to agree with Hammer and others who stated that you can't really call this as a foot fault regardless of whether it technically is or not, and now I am planning to attempt to abuse the hell out of that fact.

Maybe you and Sw22 can start a petition for instant replay and reviewed calls in disc golf. Get your own review booth hood for the NTs and everything.

Maybe you and Sw22 can start a petition for instant replay and reviewed calls in disc golf. Get your own review booth hood for the NTs and everything.

Or maybe we could just stop having any rules at all in sanctioned events and everybody can just do whatever the hell they want.

Latest posts