• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think Val got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatLarry

Val got burned. Beer and disc golf travel hand in hand. Think of the money for the open purse if the pdga would come to it's senses and get sponsored buy Coors Light to run worlds. That is all.

Breweries sponsor disc golf tournaments all the time. Good craft beer too :thmbup:

Next time tell her to put the beer in a hydroflask like the rest of us ;)

I wonder if this was a Harding/Carrigan kind of thing...

The ban on possession and/or consumption of beer by players/caddies during sanctioned play has been in place for over 15 years now and it hasn't resulted in beer companies ignoring or avoiding the sport...quite the opposite. The entire National Tour was sponsored by a hard cider brand for a year or two, so this notion that the PDGA is turning away sponsorship with its alcohol policies is patently false. They'll welcome just about anyone's money if it is for the benefit of the players and the sport.

This weekend's incident is a blip on the radar that will be largely forgotten sooner rather than later.

Silly rule, but I suppose it's necessary for the sake of "professionalism."
Comedic when she is part owner of a brewery that is also sponsoring and promoting the sport directly.

What is the rule? You can't have alcohol at the site, or you can't have it during the round?

Silly rule, but I suppose it's necessary for the sake of "professionalism."

Why is it silly?

If you are playing on the highest level for thousands of dollars, the last thing you want to deal with is someone's caddy being drunk and not being able to do anything about it.

Now I wasn't there and have no idea if the caddy was even buzzed much less drunk, but you can't start giving breathalyzers to caddys to see who is able to caddy and who isn't.

And to anyone who discusses this as a PDGA issue, the park they were using a no Alcohol policy except in private shelters (link below). So if this had occurred before play or a private course or a public course where alcohol is legal, it's still an issue per PDGA rule. The posted regulation makes it clear as day.

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/gove...arks-beaches-open-spaces/parks/delaveaga-park

What is the rule? You can't have alcohol at the site, or you can't have it during the round?

Two rules:

- Excessive use of alcohol or public intoxication at the tournament site.

- Possession of alcohol from the start of play until the player's scorecard is submitted is not allowed. Such possession shall result in immediate disqualification at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier or higher. The Tournament Director may, at his sole discretion, elect to issue a warning to the offending player in lieu of disqualification solely at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in immediate disqualification.

https://www.pdga.com/rules/competition-manual/303

Val's caddie had a beer. TD decided to DQ her.

And yes it was a decision because the rules state that the TD may (or may not) DQ a player for the conduct of their caddie. Many people are claiming that it was mandatory but they are wrong.

Val got screwed. Caddie should have been asked to leave, Val should have played on.

I wish someone would post the full details of what happened, rather than just referencing the rule violation.

Oh, but don't you know? This gives up a chance speculate and assassinate as many characters as possible now before the relevant facts have an opportunity to be disclosed.:\

Val's caddie had a beer. TD decided to DQ her.

And yes it was a decision because the rules state that the TD may (or may not) DQ a player for the conduct of their caddie. Many people are claiming that it was mandatory but they are wrong.

Val got screwed. Caddie should have been asked to leave, Val should have played on.

Pretty sure that rule says TDs only have a choice at C-tier and below. It's an auto DQ at B-tier and above.

Pretty sure that rule says TDs only have a choice at C-tier and below. It's an auto DQ at B-tier and above.

Yes, for the offending person. The caddie rules leave it up to the TD to DQ players for the actions of their caddies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts