• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think Val got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, in essence, you are arguing a judgment call that the TD has the right to make.

You have the right to disagree, just as a player can argue that a pitch shouldn't have been a strike, but that doesn't change the right for the TD to make that call. And you have to respect that right just as you have to respect the right of the ump to call a strike.

You are correct, there are two arguments here. The first is whether the DQ was mandatory. I have zero doubt that the TD has discretion over the DQ.

The second is whether the TD should have exercised their ability to DQ or not. I'm not saying the TD should have any negative repercussions outside of internet ire, but I do think the decision was wrong. Wasn't she in second place? This taints the results in a major way.

Btw this is just another example of Boomer mentality. Boomers set up the rules for them to succeed, therefore they want the rules abided by. This is why ball golfers are such jerks with country club rules. "That polo is off-white not white, I'm sorry Chadderick but you are disqualified."

Any time a rule is used to take skill out of the equation I am offended by it unless there is an iron clad need for that to take place. In this case the rules violation could have easily been handled by asking the caddie to leave, allowing the skill of Val and her competitors to decide the outcome of the event.

Damn dude, stereotype much?????????

You are correct, there are two arguments here. The first is whether the DQ was mandatory. I have zero doubt that the TD has discretion over the DQ.

The second is whether the TD should have exercised their ability to DQ or not. I'm not saying the TD should have any negative repercussions outside of internet ire, but I do think the decision was wrong. Wasn't she in second place? This taints the results in a major way.

Where someone is currently in the standings should have zero impact on your decision to DQ someone. Literally zero.

Where someone is currently in the standings should have zero impact on your decision to DQ someone. Literally zero.

I agree. And I think the rule is written in a way that actually protects the top performers to get special treatment. This sucks all around but it's a black & white rule. You have booze? you get DQ.

-Sits back and waits impatiently to find out what actually happened-

It will definitely be discussed on the podcast this week, but it's not so cut-and-dried as you might think.

Here's the lead-up from my POV:

I was walking with the FPO lead card from basically 8A - 17, then I headed home for the day. During this time Val didn't have a caddy, so imagine my confusion when I saw the PDGA statement.

I have a pretty strong opinion on what happened, but I want to talk with a couple of people again "after the dust has settled" on the event and get their perspective before getting into it.

I asked Val if she wanted to come on the show and talk about it, and she said she just wants it to blow over and move on to the next event.

So...check out The Upshot this week. It should be a good one.

I didn't say it should. I am saying that in this case the incorrect handling ended up significantly harming the outcome of the event.

I didn't say it should. I am saying that in this case the incorrect handling ended up significantly harming the outcome of the event.

How was it incorrectly handled? You can argue the rule is dumb, but it sounds like it was handled correctly

Did she get the dq during the round or after? Same for Leslie Todd. Weren't they all on the lead/filmed card together? Did they end the round with only 2 players lol

Report back Jamie ;)

How was it incorrectly handled? You can argue the rule is dumb, but it sounds like it was handled correctly

Because the caddie violated the rule, not the player, and as such the DQ was discretionary. And by mishandled I mean not optimally handled, not that the TD did anything that was outside of his authority.

Because the caddie violated the rule, not the player, and as such the DQ was discretionary. And by mishandled I mean not optimally handled, not that the TD did anything that was outside of his authority.

Where do the rules say the DQ is discretionary if it is for the caddy?

Btw this is just another example of Boomer mentality. Boomers set up the rules for them to succeed, therefore they want the rules abided by. This is why ball golfers are such jerks with country club rules. "That polo is off-white not white, I'm sorry Chadderick but you are disqualified."

Any time a rule is used to take skill out of the equation I am offended by it unless there is an iron clad need for that to take place. In this case the rules violation could have easily been handled by asking the caddie to leave, allowing the skill of Val and her competitors to decide the outcome of the event.

meh...I somewhat agree with this. I would be perfectly happy if someone was ejected for smoking....as that affects my play.
I also would be happy if someone was ejected for poor behavior or inflammatory clothing...as those both can affect my play plus make the event look poor.

However I do agree that there are rules that are there for snobbery reasons only. I have played at ball golf courses like you describe and those where a do it once for the experence type thing....most courses, at least in my area, are not so hardline.

There's still pieces to the story that Im confused about. Was the caddy drinking or did she have only a beer bottle on her possession?

Seems odd as Val is so seasoned in the sport, he'll the whole Jenkins family are, kind of a weird oversight.

And couldn't someone of tapped her on the shoulder and gave her a courtesy heads up wtf

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts