• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I think Val got burned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would agree that clarity could/should be improved, but it's a stretch to insist that the interpretation that "may" is not being used as a permissive in this case is wrong, especially given the Rules Committee has said that is the intent.

I made no such insistence. The DQ, however, was the TD's call and not mandated by the rules. If I had been the TD, I would also have DQ'd Val.

All the empty can talk is silly. My response to "I was picking up litter" would be, "Where is all the other litter you picked up?" Its a disc golf tournament, not course clean up day. And while it is a good thing to pick up litter, you'd better be a little more worried about how others might perceive the appearance of you having an empty beer can in your drink holder and not a bag full of litter that you always carry for that purpose.

Can you imagine a shoplifter claiming to have paid for stolen sunglasses that he is wearing by saying that he paid, walked out of the store, put them on, tossed his receipt, remembered that he forgot to buy something else, and then walked back in the store and was just shopping?

"I was just picking up trash."

Sure your were.

I guess I might not be the best person to bring that up, considering I have been known to partake in public parks. But we always make an effort to not be around, or in sight of, other people while doing it and I wouldn't do it at all if I were participating, caddying or spectating during PDGA play.

If I were Paige and Val, I would collude with each other to create some sort of crazy drama and ensuing rivalry. Imagine if Paige turned in Val and Val flew off the handle. Suddenly women's disc golf isn't boring, it is filled with intrigue. You could have the sponsors take digs at each other as well as a viral advertising campaign. Engineer a crazy enough rivalry you could even sell a one on one grudge match with a charity purse that would get eyeballs.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

WINNER.......THREAD OVER

Now we can let this thread die.

I didn't read through this entire post, but did see the said beer in Val's mom's hand during Central Coast Disc Golf's coverage of round 2.. you can see it at 31:52 and 33:11.

The rules are very clear. Val, not to mention her mom, should know these rules. Doesn't matter WHO turned her in, rules were broken. This is an NT and you are being filmed. The people that end up getting filmed on these cards (Jomez, etc too) are responsible for making the rest of us look good.

It's unfortunate that it happened, but what did she expect?

Last edited:
I find it rather irritating that so many of you guys are so flippant about park rules/laws. Especially considering our sport is rather reliant on having good relations with park boards...

You do know this message board is for disc golfers, right?

I made no such insistence. The DQ, however, was the TD's call and not mandated by the rules. If I had been the TD, I would also have DQ'd Val.

All the empty can talk is silly. My response to "I was picking up litter" would be, "Where is all the other litter you picked up?" Its a disc golf tournament, not course clean up day. And while it is a good thing to pick up litter, you'd better be a little more worried about how others might perceive the appearance of you having an empty beer can in your drink holder and not a bag full of litter that you always carry for that purpose.

Can you imagine a shoplifter claiming to have paid for stolen sunglasses that he is wearing by saying that he paid, walked out of the store, put them on, tossed his receipt, remembered that he forgot to buy something else, and then walked back in the store and was just shopping?

Sure your were.
You must be a joy to play a round of golf with. Hard pass.

I find it rather irritating that so many of you guys are so flippant about park rules/laws. Especially considering our sport is rather reliant on having good relations with park boards...

I agree.

I'm more or less wondering if (because we want to keep relations peachy). If there was any mention of the no alcohol rule to spectators in the first place.

100 people with a beer in there hands following a group of disc golfers who are not drinking is still gonna look bad.

But hey they dqed one player and her mom. So that makes it ok.

Val's comeback win against Paige at 2016 worlds, on a ball golf course nonetheless, was truly something awesome to watch. It's on Prodigy's YouTube channel.

No:

PROHIBITED ACTIVITIES: Fires, camping, littering, wood gathering, collection of plants or animals, hunting, archery except within the designated archery range. No amplified music. Excessive noise prohibited. No alcohol, except in reservable picnic areas designated and approved by the Director of the Parks and Recreation Department.

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/gove...arks-beaches-open-spaces/parks/delaveaga-park

Interesting the way the rules are written. Under the BOLD heading "Prohibited Activities" then the list of activities that are prohibited. The list of prohibited activities includes "no amplified music, no alcohol except blah blah blah". So by prohibiting "no alcohol" they are saying that park users are not allowed to have no alcohol. Sweet. My kind of park.

Grammar matters and double negatives drive me nuts.

The rule at Dela applies to the majority of the parks I've been in. Rent a pavilion - drink beer @ the pavilion. But how it is enforced varies greatly. From Rangers hiding in bushes to hand out citations to completely ignoring drunk idiots dragging coolers of beer. Just pointing that out.

Your point stands though - park officials seeing disc golfers in a positive light is essential, but damn do we have our work to do on that one.

Sure your were.

You don't have to look far in the Par Talk thread to realize that Doof and I rarely agree, but he is correct. I understand he's being bombastic cause he's annoyed, but honestly, I understand why he is annoyed.

This thread demonstrates everything that is wrong with social media. Let's talk about some of the assumptions being made here.

1) Val or her mother picked up an empty beer can and the TD upon hearing about it or seeing it yelled, "GET OUT, GET OUT, RULES VIOLATION!" That a person capable of putting on the Masters Cup wasn't capable of rational thought. "Um, Val, I hear your Mom had a beer out there, wanna tell me what happened?" That the guy couldn't ask questions, do a little investigation or talk to others on the card.

2) That Val or her mother are so weak in character that when the TD yelled, "GET OUT, GET OUT YOU RULES VIOLATORS! that they meekly bowed their heads and said, "oh please don't punish us too harshly." That neither would have the accumen to say, "Um dude, we were just picking up the park," if indeed, that is what they were doing. Or even, "damn it, I told Nate to get his empties out of my bag."

3) That the PDGA, upon getting the TD report didn't go, "say what?" And call him immediately for a break down of the evidence and situation.

To get to the scenarios some think happened you'd have to be so incompetent that you couldn't plan such an event, or run a micro-brewery.

Someone screwed up, I'm betting they know it, I'm betting they're embarrassed as all get out, and I'm betting the only relief they have is reading this thread.

Just based on common sense, the TD made the right call.

BTW the fact that the perp walked in front of a camera with the evidence in hand doesn't mean dooky. If I were TD and I saw that I'd still need a voice from someone who saw her partake. MTL can attest to this much better but when you run the rules commitee, or an event, you take it seriously. You interview and you ask questions. Why, cause you don't want to make a mistake and you're gonna get crucified here afterward.

Last edited:
I don't get why this is such a big deal. I mean it really sucks for Val and I feel bad about how it is, but rules are rules. If this happened to most other players in the field nobody would care.

It's not like the fun police are going to DQ people from their 790 rated DX Boss and Aviar rounds for a beer. This is a pretty big tournament in our sport and rules are rules. Sponsored pro's know the rules, or should be held responsible for needing to know the rules. People playing for fun in the park can keep doing what they want discretely and nobody cares generally. This doesn't affect your casual rounds so personal feelings on if it's a big deal or not to you personally don't really matter. Rules say no alcohol, play was happening under somewhat of a spotlight, rules were enforced.

The rule at Dela applies to the majority of the parks I've been in. Rent a pavilion - drink beer @ the pavilion. But how it is enforced varies greatly. From Rangers hiding in bushes to hand out citations to completely ignoring drunk idiots dragging coolers of beer. Just pointing that out.

Your point stands though - park officials seeing disc golfers in a positive light is essential, but damn do we have our work to do on that one.

Wait, I wanna know how you know they ignore drunk idiots dragging coolers of beer?

At first I thought you said "You better believe that's a paladin" and I guffawed at the notion of a paladin ever using a bow and arrow

There's a whole thread on the ludicrous notion of a paladin using a bow.

First, I had to look up Paladin, and second, you have got to be kidding me. That's an arcane joke of great merit if ever I read one. You score best joke and follow up of the day for me.

BTW - since there is a modern Paladin, you might want to look up the original usage, that's what made the joke for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts