• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i want to play the 10 oldest courses. what are they?

Do all the other Steady Ed designed courses feature asphalt around the baskets? The courses he designed for the Hamilton County Oh park district all have the asphalt around the basket, it's a bit goofy.

Guarantee the asphalt was a park add-on to combat erosion around the baskets. I've seen courses half as old as the Steady Ed designs where the sleeves are exposed up to a foot below the collar, when they started with the collar more or less flush with the ground. Asphalt at least delays that effect, and is probably more cost effective than trucking in dirt and/or wood chips every couple years to fill the area instead.

Oldest Steady Ed course I've played is Beaver Brook Campground. The current owners, who weren't the owners when the course was installed, claim they were told by Ed himself that the course was somewhere between the 3rd and 10th course he designed and installed. His record keeping was notoriously bad, but apparently the first ten after Oak Grove were a part of one big trip around the country for Ed and he remembered Beaver Brook being one of his stops.

Yes, but the existing HB course configuration is totally different from the one in the 1970s. I played in the Wham-O 50K event at HB in 1979 and most of the course at that time was in the low area outside of where it now runs.

Yes, but the existing HB course configuration is totally different from the one in the 1970s. I played in the Wham-O 50K event at HB in 1979 and most of the course at that time was in the low area outside of where it now runs.

I used to play with Tom Kennedy every once in a while when I lived in Santa Barbara.

Kentwood in Raleigh wasn't built until 83 but it does have the longest running doubles in america

I used to play with Tom Kennedy every once in a while when I lived in Santa Barbara.

TK was a great player and an even greater guy. I'll never forget the excitement when he won the playoff with John Connelly for $10,000 in cash and $2,500 in Wham-O discs. (That was eye-opening for me; I had a very strong thumber, but I switched from putting with an 80 mold to a 40 mold Midnight Flyer in the middle of the tournament; it worked out for me though as I finished in the money and won $500!) I never crossed TK's path after that and I don't think he played much competitive disc golf after that. Of course, TK is much better known for spearheading the start of the UPA, with the encouragement and advice of Stork. Both TK and Stork are in inductees in the UPA Hall of Fame.

La Mirada was the second course to be installed with baskets after oak grove in 1976. We just don't need to brag about it. There is proof in an article from that era and if need be I can find it.

great thread. i've played at least a dozen of those 70's installations. while not anywhere near the oldest, madeline bertrand county park in niles michigan will be having their 30th annual summer tournament next year. steady ed design from the early 80's.

i remember west park in joliet well, i shared the doubles course record there with -17 during a round with a very solid local player named shawn harmon. not sure if he's still playing or not, we shot that -17 nearly 15 years ago.

West park is one of my favorites. Believe it was established in 1978(probably wrong on that). Don't think you're course record holds up any more. Last doubles i played there we shot a down 16.

Rockwood was the first basket course in the NW it went in on september 17th 1980 and was design by steady Ed. Champoeg was a tree and target course first and did not get baskets until the mid 90's but has been played as a course since 1978 you would have to check with Roy Vanhouten. Camp Tadmor has been a course since 1982 and was made by steady Ed.

Taken from nwdiscgofnews.com

This seems to line up with what I've heard. Also, I just learned that I've played a Steady Ed course. Very cool!

NE Lions Park in Norman, OK was built in 1976, and I understand that Will Rogers in OKC was built shortly after.

Nope, NE Lions Park was designed in the fall of 1977 (shortly after the OK state championship held on the OU campus and TD'd by Jack Fouts) and installed in the spring of 1978. I know because I was the co-designer with Steady Ed and the course pro for the first several years of that course before I moved to Louisiana for work.

La Mirada was the second course to be installed with baskets after oak grove in 1976. We just don't need to brag about it. There is proof in an article from that era and if need be I can find it.

Not according to what I've heard for decades. Huntington Beach is widely reported as the second disc pole hole course, though as I noted in a previous post, the course design at HB was dramatically changed since it's original one (but that's true for Oak Grove as well).

Nope, NE Lions Park was designed in the fall of 1977 (shortly after the OK state championship held on the OU campus and TD'd by Jack Fouts) and installed in the spring of 1978. I know because I was the co-designer with Steady Ed and the course pro for the first several years of that course before I moved to Louisiana for work.

Nice! You're the treasured primary source I'll be referencing to inform the locals of Lions' history. Too many differing stories float around on the course, so I love having direct and correct information.

Thank you, sir!

TK was a great player and an even greater guy. I'll never forget the excitement when he won the playoff with John Connelly for $10,000 in cash and $2,500 in Wham-O discs. (That was eye-opening for me; I had a very strong thumber, but I switched from putting with an 80 mold to a 40 mold Midnight Flyer in the middle of the tournament; it worked out for me though as I finished in the money and won $500!) I never crossed TK's path after that and I don't think he played much competitive disc golf after that. Of course, TK is much better known for spearheading the start of the UPA, with the encouragement and advice of Stork. Both TK and Stork are in inductees in the UPA Hall of Fame.

He didn't play golf very often, though he would sometimes set up a DDC court on the field at Evergreen in Goleta. We did manage to coax him out to play on our team at the Southwestern Invitational in San Diego one year. Everyone was stoked to see him. By the time I moved away from SB in 2003, he was mostly just riding his bike a lot.

I know that the longest running tournament series is in Rochester, NY.

This year will be our 39th year running our tournament- next year will be a big event and A tier for the 40th annual.

I believe the oldest course here was Genesee Valley Park, which no longer exists, but was brought back for 2011 Am Worlds... our next oldest would be Ellison Park which is still here

I maintain a list of the oldest courses at DG Resources.

Dave Dunipace of Innova has claimed that La Mirada was #2. After that it is impossible to know definitively which one was #3 and following.