• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i want to play the 10 oldest courses. what are they?

Neat!

For Michigan, they list Flip City as 1980 for basket installation. I'm pretty sure it was the late 1990's when Bill put his baskets in. His painted numbers on object targets (trees) were still there. I definitely played there in 1998 and remember discussing the new baskets.

They were Mach V or Chainstar baskets (I can't ever seem to tell the difference at a glance), which certainly weren't around in 1980.

Good eye. I think you be correct sir. The proper authorities will be notified!

I had an opportunity to play Brahan Spring Park in Huntsville, AL this April. It's a very old, beautiful short course set within a small forest or large grove of pines. The fairways and tee pads are not well marked, so it's a mystery to follow the map. Fortunately, I played with a local who could describe the line for each preferred shot through the maze of tall pine trunks. We had loads of fun. I read that this was the 2nd oldest chain basket course in the U.S., but here is the quote from the DCGR page on it:

HISTORY - According to the PDGA, this is one the first courses to have the chain baskets in the world, somewhere between 3rd and 5th. A Steady Ed and Tom Monroe creation back in 1976. This notice by itself, makes Brahan Springs a destination course.

Highly recommend. PG

I personally met Tom Monroe and he confirmed to me that this was the first basket install in Alabama. Tom made the first layout, but Ed changed it soon after. There were a couple short lived temp object courses in AL before Brahan.

Most of Brahan is still the same since 1976, but a few of the elders in town have told me that there have been some tweaks over time. The course is about to get new signage. posts were erected a week ago and the new signs are about to go to the printer. It should complete by the time Rocket City Blast occurs.

Below is the Blast layout. which I made a few weeks ago. I haven't uploaded it because is doesn't show all the basket locations
32332185_10214539610219222_2208223608075976704_n.jpg
attachment.php

I maintain a list of the oldest courses at DG Resources.

You can add 'designed by Ed Headrick' under the notes for Sedgley. I've been playing in PA for almost 30 years and have never heard of the campgrounds(s) listed in Pennsylvania older than Sedgley. Hence I disagree with PDGA article about the oldest courses.

Last edited by a moderator:
I maintain a list of the oldest courses at DG Resources.

You can add 'designed by Ed Headrick' under the notes for Sedgley. I've been playing in PA for almost 30 years and have never heard of the campgrounds(s) listed in Pennsylvania older than Sedgley. Hence I disagree with PDGA article about the oldest courses.

It's a work in progress (The PDGA list). I don't remember all of the original Illinois courses listed either, but I have played some of them. Some courses came and went quickly. At least they are trying to nail down our somewhat hard to understand history and they welcome new information about old courses.

Last edited by a moderator:

It's a work in progress (The PDGA list). I don't remember all of the original Illinois courses listed either, but I have played some of them. Some courses came and went quickly. At least they are trying to nail down our somewhat hard to understand history and they welcome new information about old courses.

The oldest course in NY isn't even on there and it's listed on the PDGA directory and here, so IDK what was going on when they put that article together.

While we're at it, for Michigan, Brewer Park should probably be listed for one of the earliest courses if they're going by object-golf criteria in that first column. I've heard that it goes back to the 1970s. Grand Rapids people could better pinpoint that.

I've heard that too, but on their DGCR pages Adler Park claims 1978 to West Park's 1979.

Collecting each state's #1 course (or as many as possible) could also be entertaining.

Per DGCR pages, Honey Bear Hollow claims to me IN's #1. Designed by Ed Headrick, no less!

Contact Avery . . . he is a history buff too and has played MANY of the first courses in each state.

Possibly uw. Stout. Around the dorms I was told. Unconfirmed but true. Not sure when.