• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ice Bowl with no footing

seedlings

* Ace Member *
Local Ice Bowl is in a couple of weeks. I've been throwing in the snow and have decided that 150' is about all I have with any accuracy since I can't plant my lead leg sidearm or backhand. I can get off a decent throw with more distance, but tricking my body into thinking it won't fall, when it might, isn't working well. It would be my first tournament, and I don't care where I place, so 150' it is.

Lately I've been throwing understable mids and fairways gently, mostly sidearm, to get as much as possible distance with some accuracy. Maybe there is a better throw to practice?

(I've already had a thread about what shoes/crampons to wear with poor footing, so this is not that thread)

Standstills and one quick step throws require practice to get decent at them. There is no question that you will lose distance, but with practice you can minimize the loss. I try to go to forehands and hyzerflips. For hyzerflip backhand shots I use a considerably less stable disc, things like Lat 64 River, Discraft XL, Innova Mamba, Westside Underworld, Innova Roadrunner, Discraft Buzzz SS....This allows a more hyzer release, which I find easier. This release seem to keep more weight on my plant foot and make use of larger muscle groups. Ice golf needs time and thought, IMO. Take time to think through your plant foot and options. Take time to think about landing zones and strategic play and scoring. Just my take on the issue.

I've always looked at the Ice Bowl as a fun thing and not so much as a competition. I think some Ice Bowls are sanctioned (our's isn't) so that would take a more serious approach. But, the conditions would be the same for everybody. Sorry, this probably doesn't help you much.

Standstills and one quick step throws require practice to get decent at them. There is no question that you will lose distance, but with practice you can minimize the loss. I try to go to forehands and hyzerflips. For hyzerflip backhand shots I use a considerably less stable disc, things like Lat 64 River, Discraft XL, Innova Mamba, Westside Underworld, Innova Roadrunner, Discraft Buzzz SS....This allows a more hyzer release, which I find easier. This release seem to keep more weight on my plant foot and make use of larger muscle groups. Ice golf needs time and thought, IMO. Take time to think through your plant foot and options. Take time to think about landing zones and strategic play and scoring. Just my take on the issue.

I'm throwing hyzer-flips Bounty, Fuse, 150g flippy Teebird, Sidewinder, and tried a flippy Pharaoh, which goes far if I don't fall again. It is ultimately just for fun.

Sometimes you can get your distance with your disc sliding on the packed snow or ice. We were laughing the other day that maybe everyone should prep one or two discs with ski wax on the top and the bottom rim to get bonus slide when the conditions were right.

In snow I one step, basically becomes a lefty baseball swing. Sidearm I throw less OS discs and one step as well, just trying to keep it level.

This is coming from a southern player who has played in snow maybe 10 times so grain of salt I suppose.

Sometimes you can get your distance with your disc sliding on the packed snow or ice. We were laughing the other day that maybe everyone should prep one or two discs with ski wax on the top and the bottom rim to get bonus slide when the conditions were right.

That's really funny! I did a snow slide shot at Grignon park in the snow one time and it was very entertaining to me. I bet on the right hole you could set some records with a waxed up disc.

We had some hardpack with a layer of ice on top a few weeks ago. We had a blast it added at least 40 feet to every throw. Probably the most fun we had in years.

It also made approach shots interesting and the only part that was not enjoyable was walking down hill. We had a spill or two in the group.

We had some hardpack with a layer of ice on top a few weeks ago. We had a blast it added at least 40 feet to every throw. Probably the most fun we had in years.

It also made approach shots interesting and the only part that was not enjoyable was walking down hill. We had a spill or two in the group.
Have to turn two discs upside down, one under your butt and one under your two heels, and slide down the hill.

I have actually used the Dimond Ice things, like Yak tracks but have small mini chains on the bottom of them to help with grip and made by both original company and Yak Track used the patent when it ran out after 5 years. The newer Extra tough by or Dimond Tough by original company are not worth the extra $$ to get it and just get the Yak Track made like the original version anyhow.

Last edited:
I have actually used the Dimond Ice things, like yak tracks but have small mini chains on the bottom of them to help with grip and made by both Yak Track and another company who used the patent when it ran out.

Yep, I had another thread asking about footing. There's risk in slipping AND risk in foot not turning (gripping too much). Anyway:, what shot shapes do you tend to throw in poor footing?

In another couple weeks I will play in the Frozen Flyer. A tournament that puts a half dozen holes on the frozen lake. Playing off pure ice is always a challenge. There is not magic, just caution. I either throw a low, flat shot....hoping for a long, smooth slide or a wide hyzer.....looking for the 12 skipper. The coolest part is the hyzer finish, when the disc is just standing on edge, spinning.

Yep, I had another thread asking about footing. There's risk in slipping AND risk in foot not turning (gripping too much). Anyway:, what shot shapes do you tend to throw in poor footing?

In this case there are times I have had to play on full ice where not even the slip on spikes Think Katoola and similar brands would have helped had I had those or they been less then $120 on the low end at the time in mid 2000's in 2007. Aberdeen Lake Richmond had rained the day before, in February/Jan there is a day or two when the temps get high in the 40-lowwer 60's and it was supposed to snow on the day of but was rain the day before. The entire place was a big ice rink with this one hole that is playing from Valley to valley, the Signature hole was the worst. Standard Yack tracks did not do a thing My dad was slipping worse with his on and we had to play a speed or two down from normal and just play complete standstill with as little rotation to hips as possible. Putting we could still do just no leg lifts or the like for my dad. My brother had to go to his old sideways slam putt (think sideways body approach with putter/slow midrange) , something he did not do for putting again until 2016-2017 when he found in tests he was more accurate with using a longer approach putt stance for his putting like he did in first few years of putting though nowhere near as hard as his putts from 2005-2006 era where he could have slam out the way the disc went in if he hit the pole.

You might consider overhand throws for accuracy. Those can typically be done without much of a run up and are very predictable if the fairway allows enough room overhead.

You might consider overhand throws for accuracy. Those can typically be done without much of a run up and are very predictable if the fairway allows enough room overhead.

This is a great idea that did not cross my mind! I actually have a decent overhand shot that pancakes on the top of the disc... that might slide a little further.

Played a casual round with snow on the ground just today. After not getting a single good drive through four holes, I switched to only throwing standstill shots. I lost some distance, but I got my accuracy back. Granted, not a tournament setting, but I was able to par out the course with minimal snow-related mistakes.

Played a casual round with snow on the ground just today. After not getting a single good drive through four holes, I switched to only throwing standstill shots. I lost some distance, but I got my accuracy back. Granted, not a tournament setting, but I was able to par out the course with minimal snow-related mistakes.

Nice! I can barely throw par in perfect conditions. Maybe after a few years of playing.

The upside down putter slide-aways from missed putts are brutal!
This crap happened to me today, just had to laugh as it slowly slid 35 feet down a gentle slope.

I routinely play in snow/ice conditions, a set of very soft natural rubber sole boots with a knobby sole pattern can do wonders, the softer the better so it will remain pliable while in contact with the snow. For packed snow/ice I will use slip-on snow cleats but only for forehands or walking between holes, never backhand for anything that would require rotation of the plant foot.

Latest posts