• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Looks very Viperish. Could be Raven.

Double bead means it has a bead on the leading edge of the underside of the rim and a bead along the inside edge.

Looks very Viperish. Could be Raven.
Very easy to tell a Viper or Raven from the tooling. Does the tooling say "Innova-Champion Discs, INC. Ontario, Cal. 91761 U.S.A" in a single arched line with the patent number on the other side?

Double bead means it has a bead on the leading edge of the underside of the rim and a bead along the inside edge.
Isn't that just a notch on the leading edge? I get what you are saying and I know it looks like a bead, but I don't think that is actually what that is. I think it's a notch that creates the illusion that there is a bead there.

Yea I figured it was just a trick of light, but I couldn't tell for sure. Does innova even have any double beads?..

Yea I figured it was just a trick of light, but I couldn't tell for sure. Does innova even have any double beads?..
I don't know. I've heard the term "nosebead" forever. Gazelles and Cyclones look like they have a bead there, but back then I'd never heard the term "notch." Notch started flying around to explain the difference between an X and L mold. So maybe they are two different things and maybe some notches are cut to end up looking like a bead? I really don't know.

Anyway, back on topic...I just want to mention that for pre '95 molds, Innova tooling was all over the place. There was no consistent look to it. Some had stacked type, some were one line, some said San Marino, some said Ontario...the Gazelle had the patent number under "Innova-Champion" and "Ontario Cal. on the other side of the disc where the patent number usually is. Since the tooling is so different disc to disc, it can narrow down what you are looking at quite a bit on older discs. It's might be easier to go that route than trying to spy pen mark on the underside of a 14-year old used disc. The Raven and Viper had the same tooling, but you could narrow it down to those two molds if the tooling matches. If it is one of those two, common sense says it's a Viper (even though it looks in the picture more like a Raven.) If the tooling doesn't match, we can discount those two.

FWIW, I think the modern Innova tooling everyone is used to seeing started with the Cheetah. I think the Cheetah was the first Rancho Cucamonga-tooled disc and that is when the constant look for the tooling started. Anything older than a Cheetah, you can look at tooling.

Of course in the 00's they switched up some cores and then later they started phasing out the patent numbers for the www cores, so it doesn't always work. This disc is a 2002 so the tooling should be a good clue.

Here's a 175 Star Teebird factory second. Is this an Avery Teebird? Seems reasonably overstable, but it's actually the first Teebird I've ever thrown. How many other swirly star teebirds are there out there?

Attachments

• 20160521_204024.jpg
    20160521_204024.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 40
  • 20160521_204102.jpg
    20160521_204102.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 30
Received this as a CTP prize. Its a putter I just wanna know which putter lol. Says innova on the underside

Attachments

• 20160522_100020.jpg
    20160522_100020.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 20160522_100034.jpg
    20160522_100034.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 43
Disc identification

What disc is this? Has the letters P-TH written underneath but innova doesn't have a P-TH on their abbreviation list.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 42
What disc is this? Has the letters P-TH written underneath but innova doesn't have a P-TH on their abbreviation list.

P-TH suggests Pro Thunderbird. And if you could post pics of the side (rim) and underside, that would help a lot.

Pri thunderbirds just came out pretty recently, so they probably just haven't updated their abbreviations chart. I'd say pro thunderbird

Latest posts