• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Throw it. That should definitely tell you if it's a whippet or not.

I've determined that it isn't a Whippet. Leading edge isn't as blunt, and this is flatter. What I think I have is a SE Prototype Banshee. I lost my other Banshee to compare, but it's definitely not a Teebird, Gazelle, Viper, Whippet, Leopard, Raven, etc. Based on the plastic, design, and stamp (visible here https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/s-e-proto-banshee.html ) I think that's what it must be.

Any idea on value?

Found an Innova Factory 2nd driver of some sort. Marking on the back reads G*DL-P.

Any idea what this is? G* Daedalus would be my guess, but what's the extra 'P' for?

Proto? The first runs they brought to Bg Ams had a normal stamp but said Prototype. Maybe this is a X-out one of those?

JLS

The wife found this the other day at a thrift store. I know it's a JLS, but there's no indication of the run or plastic type that i can see. The plastic feels nice, more Star then Champion.

Any ideas?

Based on the stamp, I would say that's a standard plastic JLS though an old one. Millennium's base plastic from the late 90's was excellent. It was a predecessor to Innova's "special edition" and later CE plastics.

Looks like CE plastic...
Nah, the CE ones were QJLS. That one is a base-plastic MJLS. The early runs of JLS were really nice plastic; I've had guys freak out and swear that the stuff is CE when I had some old MJLS in my bag. It might be some sort of transitional Pro to CE-type SE variant based on the time frame of when I got them.

172 really close to roadrunner bulbous wing but not as wide. I would really like to i.d this disc. Thx
4501b2258cb102b828be55cfb5267858.jpg
b907017152f2ef1fef652b78226885cf.jpg

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

You could always go on the Dayton Disc Golf Association facebook page and ask a couple of the older guys if they remember what discs were available that year...

I do have one, well 2.

The one pictured is from the 2nd Southwest Florida back in December 2002 of that year. I found it in a Play it Again store. The other one is an unthrown I got in a trade serval years ago.

Anyhow, as to the mold I would contact Innova, they have given me information concerning old disc I come across. It is the Teebird-L mold and I assumed it was the original mold. Not sure if the L ever came in a CAL mold. Someone may know that answer.

As to the plastic which is the real magic. This is the old pearly stuff that showed up in the early to mid 2000's, and I believe this is the best stuff ever used for disc. The stuff holds up. I actively throw this disc and for a disc of 16 years it is in great condition. Plus the thing is mildly stable and flies stupid long.

I added a picture of my thrower. I also have a few Orcs, a Viking, an 11x Teebird and 5 or 6 Beast in the same plastic. I do pull it out of the bag once the temp drops to freezing. Never broke one of these but I do not want to temp fate.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Attachments

• IMG_0753.jpg
    IMG_0753.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0754.jpg
    IMG_0754.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 30
The one pictured is from the 2nd Southwest Florida back in December 2002 of that year. I found it in a Play it Again store. The other one is an unthrown I got in a trade serval years ago.

Anyhow, as to the mold I would contact Innova, they have given me information concerning old disc I come across. It is the Teebird-L mold and I assumed it was the original mold. Not sure if the L ever came in a CAL mold. Someone may know that answer.

As to the plastic which is the real magic. This is the old pearly stuff that showed up in the early to mid 2000's, and I believe this is the best stuff ever used for disc. The stuff holds up. I actively throw this disc and for a disc of 16 years it is in great condition. Plus the thing is mildly stable and flies stupid long.

I added a picture of my thrower. I also have a few Orcs, a Viking, an 11x Teebird and 5 or 6 Beast in the same plastic. I do pull it out of the bag once the temp drops to freezing. Never broke one of these but I do not want to temp fate.

[/QUOTE]I feel exactly the same about the plastic you described. I also have a Viking, beast, orc, monster, sidewinder. The best most durable no doubt.

[/QUOTE]Took your advice. I contacted Innova. Turns out it is a TL which I guess I didn't realize it was out that early. I thought TL was a little newer for whatever reason. Thanks for the suggestion!

Latest posts