• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Disc, no markings from late 80s

Hello all

new member so still learning about available resources. This is a "please help ID my disc" but after going through the closed threads on this topic, I was seeing discs that had markings. Mine only says "Meriweather Disc Golf & Ant Farm" (lol) from Hogansville GA.

This disc is older (late 80s approx.) so I am guessing it's likely dismania, innova, discraft or dynamic I think they are the older US companies?

Any help referring me to references would be awesome, I really need to replace this disc as closely as I can to the original, (finding close modern equivalent).

thanks in advance

pl

You're going to have to post a picture of the rim from the side profile along with measuring the rim width and overall disc diameter. There is no way anyone could guess, well highly unlikely. Discmania and Dynamic are new companies so it's not them. It could be Lightning, Innova, Discraft maybe even Whamo or generic/non PDGA approved along with a couple others I believe.

Destiny Discs (creator of the Super Puppy, probably the most recognizable mold) changed their name to Dynamic Discs in the late 80's. From what I understand there's no relation to the modern-day Dynamic Discs, which was founded in the mid 2000's.

So in the 80's it could have been Wham-o, Destiny/Dynamic, Discraft, DGA, Innova, or Lightning. Assuming it's a PDGA-approved disc. Pretty much impossible to tell without pictures.

I don't think Meriweather existed in the 80's. Pretty sure that was a 90's thing- I played it in maybe 98(?) and it did not seem like an old course then. (And the Ant Farm part was no joke...) I would also bet it is an Innova disc of some sort- if not that then Discraft. I don't remember seeing any custom stamped Lightning Discs in the Southeast.

I don't think Meriweather existed in the 80's. Pretty sure that was a 90's thing- I played it in maybe 98(?) and it did not seem like an old course then. (And the Ant Farm part was no joke...) I would also bet it is an Innova disc of some sort- if not that then Discraft. I don't remember seeing any custom stamped Lightning Discs in the Southeast.
If it has no tooling, It's probably Lightning though. Lightning was dirt cheap to get custom stamped, so a lot of places used them for that.

If it has no tooling, It's probably Lightning though. Lightning was dirt cheap to get custom stamped, so a lot of places used them for that.

Merriweather was run by John David who owned who may have been the biggest disc retailer in the Southeast at that point (IFO). I will wager a gazillion internetz that it's an Innova disc and the OP missed the tooling. I used to have a scorpion around here somewhere with a Merriweather Ant Farm stamp. Almost no one east of the Mississippi was dealing with Lightning at that point.

Merriweather was run by John David who owned who may have been the biggest disc retailer in the Southeast at that point (IFO). I will wager a gazillion internetz that it's an Innova disc and the OP missed the tooling. I used to have a scorpion around here somewhere with a Merriweather Ant Farm stamp. Almost no one east of the Mississippi was dealing with Lightning at that point.
Did Patti Kunkle have something to do with IFO? I remember contacting them a bazillion years ago about something, but I thought I talked to Patti. I don't think I ever talked to John David.

thanks for the replies. Hope these shots post ok. I studied underneath this disc and found what appears to be a worn down and partially visible patent # and company address raised in the plastic which I think corresponds to innova.

I can't make out all the #s of the patent stamp but have to wonder if the various disc models got their own stamp. (dont mind the strips of tape, this thing is about to explode, like that stuffed animal you loved as a kid until its eyeballs were hanging out etc)

Attachments

• IMG-2966.jpg
    IMG-2966.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG-2969.jpg
    IMG-2969.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG-2970.jpg
    IMG-2970.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 29
also in case this helps, I've thrown what feels like a couple lifetimes worth of freestyle and was put out in my initial attempts at disc golf by how hard it was to throw them straight but I held onto this one because I could make it go straight, right, left etc with relative ease. So it felt like a good beginner's disc to me, seems like a midrange model by today's standards.

diameter is just about 8.5 inches (perhaps very slightly under)

rim thickness just about 1/2 inch (perhaps very slightly under)

sorry for multiple posts, the edit button keeps disappearing on me

There is a 5min edit window on this site.

Does it say stingray where its drawn on the underside? Cause it looks like a stingray based on the dome and wing shape.

Last edited:
ok that makes sense about the editing.

There is just that blurred stamp. I've been trying to imagine what that could represent but without any reference it's just too blurry. Now that you mention stingray, the shape of the stamp looks like it might fit.

I was looking at an Innova catalog from the 90s and can see that their flight path description shows what looks like a surprisingly even split between discs that tend toward right, straight or left depending on speed.

I'm much newer to the whole idea of disc design parameters than to the game I never paid attention to that part the first time around... but I've been under the impression that with a standard right hand backhand throw, that golf discs pretty much tend to curve to the left.

Guessing this is a separate issue for another thread, but the fact that this disc made for an easier transition from freestyle to disc golf is a big part of its value to me.

Looks to be a Stingray. You are lucky cause they still make it.

that's really great, thanks so much!

I was initially concerned that it would be irreplaceable. It's starting to come apart and over the last few days going without it has forced me to come to terms with how to throw my other 2 discs (Truth and Buzz) with more control. I feel like the stingray has helped me transition to where golf discs aren't as strange and frustrating.

that's really great, thanks so much!

I was initially concerned that it would be irreplaceable. It's starting to come apart and over the last few days going without it has forced me to come to terms with how to throw my other 2 discs (Truth and Buzz) with more control. I feel like the stingray has helped me transition to where golf discs aren't as strange and frustrating.

The only problem is, they don't make that plastic anymore. They make them in a newer DX, which you should be able to buy in any decent disc shop but its breaks in a lot faster than that old school DX plastic that disc you have is. You can get them in premium Star plastic on the innova factory store, but its not going to be the same disc until you break it in a little. The good thing is that it will stay in that sweet spot for a lot longer than the DX will....

DX...https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/full-production/full-production-mid-range.html?disc_model=82
Star...https://proshop.innovadiscs.com/star-stingray.html

Latest posts