• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Here you go:

picture.php

Got this at a gas station in Crystal Lake, IL. in the late 90's.

That's awesome! Thanks for the info. Funny thing is I did find these in a liquor store in Illinois. But it was 2 weeks ago not the 90's.

This is an Innova factory second fairway driver, rim width looks similar to my Valkyrie.

Attachments

• 345A5180-7D2B-46E1-9332-8480D60F4A1F.jpg
    345A5180-7D2B-46E1-9332-8480D60F4A1F.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 14
  • 8E3FFA8C-8169-40A4-A641-5E20F0C026A4.jpg
    8E3FFA8C-8169-40A4-A641-5E20F0C026A4.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 14
I'm quoting this post here to put it where it belongs:
I've had this disc for a number of years. But finally decided to catalog my bag. I probably found the disc, and it had no markings to speak-of. This was before the days where they had lost & found drop-offs.

This disc is marked "2010 PHILLY OPEN" The symbol looks a little like the Lattitude logo, but not quite. (Not sure Lattitude existed back then?!) I guess it could be John-Doe off brand that they awarded to the winner(s), or maybe they just gave them out to every participant. But either option seems odd since, it wouldn't be PDGA approved that way. I suppose the markings on what disc its really supposed to be could have just been rubbed off. The under-side says it was resold and/or sold for $7.99 at a shop. No helpful info on that side to speak-of, except I think the weight.

It feels like a high-speed distance driver, with a thick lip. But I actually have not thrown it much. So it remains mysterious. I probably should have given it more attention.
attachment.php

Post the under side and a profile picture if you can:popcorn:

Here's the underside. So I was wrong, if I want the weight, I'm going to have to figure out myself. It was sold as a used-disc somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_20220627_165822220.jpg
    IMG_20220627_165822220.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 64
Here's the underside. So I was wrong, if I want the weight, I'm going to have to figure out myself. It was sold as a used-disc somewhere.

It looks like Discraft to me.
I am going to guess that it is either a Nuke or Hurricane. Both came out in 2010.

Last edited:
I am going to guess that it is either a Nuke or Hurricane. Both came out in 2010.
Nuke (no). Tempest (closer), but the rim is too curved. I can't find too many pictures of the under-side rim of the Hurricane: But where I can, it appears to be the same issue: https://infinitediscs.com/DGA-Hurricane/Pro-Line Not smooth like the disc I have. The hurricane has a ridge. The Tempest is curved. I mentioned the 'Tempest' because I saw your edit.

On the other-hand, the swirls could be interpreted as little hurricanes. (that is what is visible on the front-side of the disc.) I just question whether the underside has the same hold-pattern. But of course in my google-searches there a few different types of 'hurricane' models.

That logo is Terry Miller's logo, Lifetime Disc Sports...?

He used to go out east to TD and vend merchandise, this is probably one the events.

I don't know his timeline for sponsorship, but Discraft is a good possiblity.

That logo is Terry Miller's logo, Lifetime Disc Sports...?

He used to go out east to TD and vend merchandise, this is probably one the events.

I don't know his timeline for sponsorship, but Discraft is a good possiblity.
Yes, that's it that's the right logo. Why did he choose LDS? Sound's like Mormon events to me. LOL.

http://www.lifetimediscsports.com/links-2/ says his professional Disc-golf sponsor is Innova. But of course this was a long time ago. But maybe we should be looking at Innova.

Yes, that's it that's the right logo. Why did he choose LDS? Sound's like Mormon events to me. LOL.

http://www.lifetimediscsports.com/links-2/ says his professional Disc-golf sponsor is Innova. But of course this was a long time ago. But maybe we should be looking at Innova.

Not really sure how much he does under the LDS umbrella anymore, seems like "disc golf guy" gets more attention...

Not really sure how much he does under the LDS umbrella anymore, seems like "disc golf guy" gets more attention...
Regardless, the copyright for the page goes to 2011, my disc is from 2010. So it's more likely an Innova-Driver disc according to the sponorship.

I would expect an Innova disc to have Innova tooling on the underside.

Regardless, the copyright for the page goes to 2011, my disc is from 2010. So it's more likely an Innova-Driver disc according to the sponorship.

I was actually talking to the 'Lifetime Sports' guy on his facebook. He said, he doesn't remember if that year was a 'Discraft' or 'Innova' year.
It's not an Innova disc. Innova discs have tooling on the backside of the flight plate. No tooling there, it's not Innova.

Discraft generally has tooling on the inner rim of the disc, but that time frame was when the expired patent lawsuits were happening and Discraft eliminated a lot of tooling during that time frame. So if there is no tooling on the disc at all, it's a Discraft or DGA disc.

It looks like a tsunami beaded wing but but maybe a bit too wide.
But that would be a DGA brand. I think now we need to concentrate on 'Discraft'. Even the 'Hurricane' mentioned earlier was DGA. It looked a little close-ish. According to the other poster, Three-Putt, it was Discraft who made discs without 'tooling'. And according to 'Terry-D' on his Facebook, it had to be either Innova or Discraft making these molds.

But that would be a DGA brand. I think now we need to concentrate on 'Discraft'. Even the 'Hurricane' mentioned earlier was DGA. It looked a little close-ish. According to the other poster, Three-Putt, it was Discraft who made discs without 'tooling'. And according to 'Terry-D' on his Facebook, it had to be either Innova or Discraft making these molds.
The reason DGA was mentioned is that Discraft makes DGA's discs. A disc made by Discraft with no tooling could have been a Discraft mold or a DGA mold; they all get made in the same place on the same machines by the same people.