• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
2011-06-10%25252020.16.10.jpg

2011-06-10%25252020.16.00.jpg

Grip rings on the inside rim were a Lightning thing, so it's probably some Lightning disc.

Does anyone know if banshees were ever ontario molded or were they always rancho molded. I picked up a dx disc at a yard sale that I swear is a banshee, but it's ontario molded... Hmmmm...

Does anyone know if banshees were ever ontario molded or were they always rancho molded. I picked up a dx disc at a yard sale that I swear is a banshee, but it's ontario molded... Hmmmm...

all mine are rancho CA or CAL.......take a profile pic....

I will in a bit or tonight after work.. it has that huge wingtip bead like a banshee does..

Panther?

It's much domier than a shark and the rim is less sharp? I'm attaching another photo.

I don't want to throw it, but just holding it, it feels like it would be MUCH flippier than a shark. The rim also feels less wide (narrower?)... Is it a Griffin perhaps?

5ff6d81d.jpg
It could be a Panther

edit: finished the thread only to see that Three Putt already made the call.

Last edited:

I'll check my Banshees when I get home and see what I can find - I have 50+ so if they made it I may have one.

It could be a Panther

edit: finished the thread only to see that Three Putt already made the call.

I haven't thrown many Panthers but I seem to remember them being flatter (less dome). Looks like that is the most likely though.

Even though it has an "Innova" patent on the bottom, Could this be a Millennium mold? Something like a Sentinel?

thanks jerry!! any help is appreciated and I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

2003 tourney stamp gummy plastic
DSCN5795.jpg

DSCN5797.jpg

DSCN5799.jpg

This is a Cheetah. I was at the pro shop at Lemon Lake today and ran across a tourney stamped disc that looked JUST like that, and I immediately had a flash back to this thread. Same color and everything, just a different tourney stamp. This explains why it was so flippy for you :)

I haven't thrown many Panthers but I seem to remember them being flatter (less dome). Looks like that is the most likely though.

Even though it has an "Innova" patent on the bottom, Could this be a Millennium mold? Something like a Sentinel?
Nope. Millennium has only had three mids (Aurora MS, Aurora MF, Sentinel MF.) All of them have the Roc diameter. The disc in question is a smaller diameter than a Roc.

If you have thrown mostly Champ Panthers, a lot of those were flat. The old DX ones I used to throw were domey. The disc in question looks to be DX.

The P-38 was an understable circa mid-80's golf disc that would be kinda sorta comparable to an Aero. As I recall it had a smaller diameter than an Aero. I don't remember when they came out, but the PDGA list says '84. It was one of the very first beveled-edge golf discs, and it was Lightning's fist disc. The P-38 hot stamp was the Lightning logo for a long time.

As new discs came out, the originals like the Aero, P-38 and Phantom became less and less popular. I think Lightning stopped making the P-38 in the early 90's sometime.

Not too long before Lightning switched away from the Airplane stamps a new disc came out that had the same stamp as the old P-38's. The PDGA list says '93, and that matches my memory. It had a larger diameter and was flat as a pancake, so it was pretty obvious that it was a different disc. Those were the P-38-J's. It was converted into the #2 Hookshot when the airplane stamps went bye-bye in '95. So the P-38-J was only around for a couple years before the name was changed.

i have a white cyclone that has a stamp that says amherst massachusetts national ultimate traing camp ultimate for the next generation that i got from a friend

4 Stamp Buzzz..I had never seen one before and I got one recently (stamp is too faded for a pic to do any justice). It has the old Discraft logo (with the childish looking "Discraft" letters) and a Clearwater Florida stamp in the middle. It has Buzzz tooling. I guess what would really help answer my question is when did Discraft switch from that old funny looking lettered logo to its current logo?

It was sometime late in 2005 when the logo switched.

Comic Sans is the font, BTW. It was very '90's-fabulous.

Okay I've got two, one should be relatively easy the other maybe not as much.

First up this sparkle otter open disc
picture.php

picture.php

The other is a random x-out with absolutely no other markings, I can take more pics of it if it will help but it really is pretty nondescript

picture.php

thanks for the help fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts