• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'd hate to be a Disc Golfer in Billings Montana.

RussMB

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Check out this story out of Billings, Montana!
http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...cle_20231c3c-7c20-11df-a802-001cc4c03286.html

I really couldn't believe this story when I read it. Especially when a weak City Council sides with a handful of ignorant people that are that misinformed about Disc Golf. It looks like the response has actually caused the council to reconsider, but I feel bad for the local Disc Golf group. I hope that the town council reconsiders, and wakes up. Hey, we've had our threads get recognized by City Council members and other important figures in the past. Hopefully, this will pop up on their Google Searches as well. Best of luck to the "Air Fairways Disc Golf Club".

It's always a shame when a few angry neighbors are able to shout their way into getting disc golf taken out. It looks like this one is far from decided, hopefully the disc golfers are able to convince the city council to reconsider.

Wow. Local politics at their worst.

Hang strong, DGers of Billings! Fight the man! :)

Edit: actually, this reminds me of when my hometown banned public skateboarding in the late 80's, but then by the late 90's, were paying to put in a skate park. :rolleyes:

I just read through the Comments section. There are a couple of Snippy People on there that are against DG. I'm really surprised, I guess I just haven't seen that kind of opposition to the sport. I don't count Straq. He was just a pious DB. I've heard sound arguments, but not that baseless.

Pioneer Park in Billings, Montana. Here's a link to the course page. It looks like a smaller course, but it doesn't look like there is much around for for 80 miles!

As long as they keep Diamond X open in Billings...
But really, these anti-disc-golf people need to get a life.

Some folks will go to no end to make everyone else's lives as miserable as they make their own.

I agree, if there was a logical reasoning, I would accept that as a contrary point. (whether I agreed or not) But, "Gang-Bangers". That made me LMAO.

I agree, if there was a logical reasoning, I would accept that as a contrary point. (whether I agreed or not) But, "Gang-Bangers". That made me LMAO.

Jukeshoe: <---Banging the Gang while out on the disc golf course :Rolleye:

As a habitual marijuana smoker, I am offended by this article. Some of the most rational people I know are potheads. These guys are just ignorant. I do have to agree that ther are plenty less than respectful DGers ou there who could care less about their courses or city property. The best thing us respectable disc golfers can do is try to bring to light the positive aspects of the sport. We need to show everyone that there are a good majority of us who care about our courses, and respect city property. Like anything else in life, there are going to be a small handful of douchebags that try to ruin a good thing for the rest of us.

Jukeshoe: <---Banging the Gang while out on the disc golf course :Rolleye:

Don't mess with the West Side Chain Bangers, or the OAT gangstars. (They run the East side)

HAHAHAHA!!! Oat gangsters.

Sounds like a geriatric gang at an old-person's home. :D

They get in spork fights with the Prune Prowlers in the dining hall, and have a side racket selling menthol cigarettes, cheap gin, and bengay.

An OAT Gangsta Chick with her man. They have the Billings council on their payroll!
gangstaoldpeople.gif

She's a marked woman. Prune Prowlers gonna bust a cap up in dat ho.

Watch out for Drive by's in a powder blue crown vic! Here she comes!
80GrandmaGangsta.jpg

I hate to see these guys lose their course, but the way it sounds from this article, they never really had official authorization to install it in the first place. Non-players and NIMBYs tend to get a bit irksome when you do stuff like that.

You know why I'd hate to be a disc golfer in Billings, Montana? This.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/brows...1&city=&state=&zipcode=59101&zip_distance=100

3 courses (including the one in question) within 100 miles. If this course is removed, the only other options for people there will be the challenging Diamond X, or a long road trip. One reason in my DG travels that I haven't gone west, sans one trip to Colorado.

I hate to see these guys lose their course, but the way it sounds from this article, they never really had official authorization to install it in the first place. Non-players and NIMBYs tend to get a bit irksome when you do stuff like that.

You know why I'd hate to be a disc golfer in Billings, Montana? This.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/brows...1&city=&state=&zipcode=59101&zip_distance=100

3 courses (including the one in question) within 100 miles. If this course is removed, the only other options for people there will be the challenging Diamond X, or a long road trip. One reason in my DG travels that I haven't gone west, sans one trip to Colorado.

I can truly empathize with that, for years we only had Tupelo Bay and nothing else for 70 miles in any direction! I do see the point about unauthorized installation. But I noticed that the course was installed in 2000. That's a really long time to go without mentioning it. I found another page, where they said that there drug related Gang Activity in said park, but that it was unrelated to the disc golfers. Billings, MT and Gang activity are just two things you wouldn't normally see in the same sentence.