• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ideas on how to get birdies

thebrownmule

Bogey Member
Greetings forum gurus!

Let me start off by giving a bit of backstory. I've been playing for the past 2 or 3 seasons and have progressed a lot in that time. My drives max about 400 on a good day. My club does a weekly league at peaks view park in Lynchburg va. And we've had a contest running all year we call the 19 under club. In order to get in, you must get a 2 on every hole and get an ace. (Carrying over from week to week.)

Well last week during the round I hit my ace for the year so that only leaves me 2 holes left to score two on and I'm in the club. I'm looking for suggestions on how to approach these two holes in order to give myself easy 2's seeing as league is only running for two more weeks.

Ill try to post pics but I may not be able to from mobile.

The first hole I need help on is hole 4. The hole is 250-300 ish feet and flat. It has a lower ceiling with trees lining left side of fairway and two trees about 50 ft off the pad. The problem is the tee pad is angled to the right side and I always turn the drive to the right and either hit the tree or flip the disc up too much (pic1)

Hole 17 is the other birdie I need. I've seen rollers reach the basket but there's really only 2 routes. A massive hyzer that plays like its much longer than it is or a low (5 or less ft off the ground) shot straight to the left side of trees with a disc that will skip.(pic2)

Any ideas on how to park these holes are greatly appreciated.
Tbm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 259
The first hole looks like a great RHBH roller........ the slope will help the disc hold the line longer, might even prevent the disc from curling out too.

Oh I thought you have to hit -19 on a single round. ^^

Anyway, i dont see any baskets in your pics, hard to tell from that.

But for hole 1, you kinda answered your own question. You wrote "i always turn it over and hit trees on the right". So throw it straight.

well its a shorter hole. disc up cuz its a low ceiling and throw a laser low and hard.

hyzer bomb on the second hole

Thanks for the replies guys!! Hole 4s basket (pic one) is right next to the tree in the middle of the pic toward the back. Ie the dirt path that runs between the first two trees is straight inline with it. I've tried the hyzer on 17 but even with everything going great it still leaves me a 40 to 50 ft putt. I can get a roller pretty consistently to the same spot I just don't know of a disc that will curve up in there at the end.

Thanks again for the ideas and keep them coming!!

Silly question - but are you planning on going on an off night and emptying your bag (perhaps a few times) trying out the suggestions given here?

Thanks for the replies guys!! Hole 4s basket (pic one) is right next to the tree in the middle of the pic toward the back. Ie the dirt path that runs between the first two trees is straight inline with it. I've tried the hyzer on 17 but even with everything going great it still leaves me a 40 to 50 ft putt. I can get a roller pretty consistently to the same spot I just don't know of a disc that will curve up in there at the end.

Thanks again for the ideas and keep them coming!!

Hit a 40 ft putt

Hole #4 - I hate pads angled wrong as well. Throw from a standstill to take that out of the equation. I would use your favorite beat to snot fairway driver, throw it flat and low.

Hole #17 - the course page says this is 250'. If that is accurate you really shouldn't have a problem doing the spike hyzer route. My only suggestion would be do use a neutral disc to do it. Most newer players make the mistake of using super overstable discs for that shot.

Sonic- thanks ill def try those. On 17 it may actually be 250 in a straight line but there's a few problems. 1-the pad sits kind of in a ditch where you actually have to throw up a bit just to be off the ground. If you look at the pics you'll see Some trees in the middle of the fairway that are very thick and bushy up top right now. I've tried throwing drivers of all stabilities to reach it but at best I'm still 40 or 50 out. I'm thinking a roller is my best option here but I am not the best at rolling anyways, I can get it just as far as the hyzer if not 10 or so feet further. I just need something that will give me a curl at the end so ill be closer to the basket but I'm always jus outside of my putting range. I normally roll bosses or xcals fh to get it up there.

Silly question - but are you planning on going on an off night and emptying your bag (perhaps a few times) trying out the suggestions given here?

This is your answer. This is what you do to figure out any hole. Throw multiple shots. When you finally figure it out, throw 10 more just like that for muscle memory.

Either of those look like potential roller holes. You might have some success going OVER everything in that first tee shot you have posted. In either case, go out before your round and try the routes you feel comfortable with. When the league starts, you'll know exactly what disc and line gives you the best chance to birdie those two. Good luck!

Does anyone have a reccomendation on what disc I should try rolling on 17?? Like I said I get it up there with a xcal but I want something to flip over/ curl at the end.

Does anyone have a reccomendation on what disc I should try rolling on 17?? Like I said I get it up there with a xcal but I want something to flip over/ curl at the end.

beaten RR, Sidewinder, really beaten valk. These would be my RHBH recommendations. I dont throw these, as I havent mastered it yet. I through RHFH rollers with either a champ teebird or Z Predator

Anything overstable would work out well. The X-Cal is my roller disc when I play glow rounds. Generally discs should fade towards the label although it depends on what angle it hits the ground. It looks like a good RHFH roller hole. I'd try to put the disc out 100' in front of you and set the angle around 1:30. This is personal preference, but perhaps practicing a few lines before league play would give you an idea of how to get a clear 2nd shot at the basket. Hope this helps and keep us updated. I want DGCR to help get you into that club!

Latest posts