• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild for a novice

^^^Agreed, I believe flip is longer and has more obstacles but still fair, A disc golfers veritable field of dreams. Only played flip 3 times when i was up that way and my best round was a 75. At lincoln my best score the past few years is 68.
At Idlewild you have to dodge lots of trees right off of the tee pad on a few holes. You have to be skilled to break 80 on the longs. Russell scored under 80 last June and I think we played mostly longs. If you're a disc golfer that likes a challenge or want to see where your game level is at, Idlewild is a must.

I've heard others from the local Cincy area say recently that Flip City compares to Lincoln Ridge.

I need to get to Flip City.

Flip 4.85, Lincoln Ridge 4.46.

Take away the 0.5 ratings bump Flip gets for being private, having camping, a cool owner, no cops, smoke stops, etc.....and Lincoln Ridge comes out ahead for the actual golf.

Flip holds it's cache due to it's age (lots of fans) and number of valley (epic, brah) throws but that age is also a weakness. It isn't very long, doesn't have many challenging fairways or greens. It has a few very poor holes (3A and 14 most notably). Other than 2, 2A and 16; getting a 3 is pretty darn easy. I took a bogey on 2A and boldy ran at 16 which chained out and ran down the hill leaving me with a double bogey. Maybe I'm getting old and cranky (and accustomed to challenging courses) but Flip was a dissapointment. IMO, a borderline Intermediate (like me) shouldn't shoot +1 on a Top 10 course his first time on it.

play idlewild. there's no such thing as "too much course for me at my level". it would be a good idea to get a local just to have some local knowledge though. start an idlewild thread in the Vacation forum.

While I do think the OP would be fine playing Idlewild (as long as he expects it to be tough), I do disagree with this statement. I was in town visiting a friend (who didn't play). It was a course on my list, so my friend and I went to play. Him not being real athletic and his first time, he was throwing about 75 feet and not consistently straight.

After the first hole, we decided he would start every hole from where my tee shot landed. After about six holes, he decided he'd just tag along while I threw. So, I do think there are some people who shouldn't play the course, but only the horribly bad beginner.

I find it curious and enlightening that Flip & Idlewild sit together in the top 5 here. One is an easy private course and the other is a brutal public course. They are both immaculately maintained and have lots of prominent man-made rock structures....but that's all I can find that they have in common.

All these out of towners reminding me that Banklick is so awesome after you play a course over 2000 times you kinda forget what you have right in your backyard.

It will be interesting to see how Osage stacks up against the Big 3 is complete, I feel the term big 3 has already become outdated. Once the gold tees go in Osage may take a higher spot in the rankings, even if I personally hate rubber tee's.

Flip holds it's cache due to it's age (lots of fans) and number of valley (epic, brah) throws but that age is also a weakness. It isn't very long, doesn't have many challenging fairways or greens. It has a few very poor holes (3A and 14 most notably). Other than 2, 2A and 16; getting a 3 is pretty darn easy. I took a bogey on 2A and boldy ran at 16 which chained out and ran down the hill leaving me with a double bogey. Maybe I'm getting old and cranky (and accustomed to challenging courses) but Flip was a dissapointment. IMO, a borderline Intermediate (like me) shouldn't shoot +1 on a Top 10 course his first time on it.

Flip City: 1980

Lincoln Ridge aka Banklick: 1981

Take a look at the local website http://www.cincinnatidiscgolf.com/ because they do have a weekly round at Idlewild on Sundays. They only talk about the round in the Forum titled Doubles @ IDLEWILD - ANY GIVEN SUNDAY. I don't think a ton of people play in it and I think it starts at noon so it should not affect your round.

The Cincinnati page might give you another option to meet people
The doubles on Sundays are usually has just been me, drew the guy that runs it and another local. We have fun and play skins, but there are no big doubles rounds at Idlewild!

Flip was amazing but I think allot of it had to do that at no time while on that course did I have a minimum of 8 beers in me plus the groups were awesome! It was an experience and I would rate it above Lincoln Ridge but not above Idlewild. I think Idlewild is a course that gets better the more you play it and still after the many times that I have played it still enjoy it. I think it gets better the more you play it. Someone just coming out of town in all honesty though I wouldn't recommend it IMHO. I'd go to Mt Airey, or Lincoln Ridge. The Nati Pro shop is a great experience let alone the Golf Course!

Not that it matters but Lincoln Ridge is my favorite course.

New told me to write another review so I would have five of them and I've never reviewed LR.

Maybe I'll go give it a 5.

;)

It took me FOREVER to write my Lincoln Ridge review because I kept going back and forth on 4.5 or 5.

It is VERY good, golf-wise.

Also, Osage is getting Gold tees?!?! :eek: :cool: :beans:

It took me FOREVER to write my Lincoln Ridge review because I kept going back and forth on 4.5 or 5.

It is VERY good, golf-wise.

Also, Osage is getting Gold tees?!?! :eek: :cool: :beans:
From the local forum. Seems like three sets of tees are in the plan and gold is last on the list
Almost all the tees are "Blue" except for two(5,11) are "Gold" tees. Next stage of tee installs will be "White" or short tees.

I think Idlewild is a course that gets better the more you play it and still after the many times that I have played it still enjoy it. I think it gets better the more you play it.

This just gets better every time I reread it.

:D

Thanks all for the great opinions. Plan on being down there through the weekend (sat to Monday). My oldest daughter and I have played together for most of the 30 odd courses we've played. She pretty much tags along and we both love playing a lot of different places. Really amazing game when you can play the hilly mountains of W.V. to the deep woods of Ohio and the flat sandy areas of N.C.

As far as the challenge of it I'm all for it. I was a little leery of if the challenge would be to much to even have fun. Listening to everyone's take it seems like it will be amazing regardless. Played some of the top courses in N.E. Ohio (Deis,Ewing, Lincoln Park(my fav.) Arboretum-Spiker(home course). Along with some of the other posters its amazing when you have a good 24 hole challenging course (arboretum) in your back yard you can some times take it for granted.

Definitely going to write down all the great courses everyone has thrown out there and try to hit a number of them. Thanks again.

Latest posts