• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild in March?

Agree with IC, Idlewild has to be prioritized over the others. And all of those courses are just as good in the winter (assuming they aren't covered in the occasional snow.)

Idlewild pairs with Lincoln Ridge. Keep in mind both are 24 hole courses but you really don't miss much imo if you just play the Idlewild Open layout (18 holes). That's what I choose to play. The other holes are decent, but just filler imo. You can also skip some poorly maintained and confusing holes at Lincoln Ridge (creek holes) to make an easier day.

Osage is an hour plus away from Idlewild. It pairs well with Stonelick (10 min), Johnson Hills (20 min) or even Echo Valley (probably 30-35 min). Echo Valley is in Idlewild's league, it's that good. Not saying it's better or even as good, but it really is that level of course. Kinda halfway between Cincy and Dayton.

Last thought, I think Hidden Ridge is better than Lincoln Ridge in NKY. Not a universally shared opinion, but I prefer the layout and feel. If you prefer Torma Town over Renny, you'd probably prefer Hidden Ridge over Lincoln Ridge. Also, assuming IC has it open I'll bet the maintenance is great in the winter, it's so much harder to keep up in spring and summer.

this is the money information for the area thank you so much

im from mn so i dont mind a little snow but i know others will not play once the flakes stick to the ground

When I went down to Idlewild in Feb 2020, there was no snow, however, it was rainy. And I was the only person out on the course for more than half my round - a small group showed up later. When I got to the parking, the only other car in the lot had a Michigan plate! What the hell?
One of the other courses I hit up was a Steady Ed design (Embshoff Woods). Should have played it with a lid, but I didn't have one with me.

It was absolutely on my radar, but I probably will only have one day to play, and wasn't sure if have the fortitude to play both those in one day. Seemed like it'd make for a pretty long day. Maybe it's doable?

Played a round at Boone, 2 rounds of Idlewild longs and a round at Lincoln Ridge in one day. Granyed, it was August with summer daylight, but it's definitely doable.

Played a round at Boone, 2 rounds of Idlewild longs and a round at Lincoln Ridge in one day. Granyed, it was August with summer daylight, but it's definitely doable.

That's what I like to hear! That's gonna be my plan. Hit Idlewild and Lincoln. Time permitting, bag one of the other shorter courses in the proximity too. I'll be playing solo, and in guessing it wouldn't be too busy, so I should be able to whistle thru them at a decent pace.

Last thought, I think Hidden Ridge is better than Lincoln Ridge in NKY. Not a universally shared opinion, but I prefer the layout and feel. If you prefer Torma Town over Renny, you'd probably prefer Hidden Ridge over Lincoln Ridge. Also, assuming IC has it open I'll bet the maintenance is great in the winter, it's so much harder to keep up in spring and summer.

I appreciate the kind words Dan, hope you and Danny are doing well. I need to stop up and see you guys for a round sometime soon.

Course conditions are currently a 4 or 4.5 out of 5. A few spots could use a bit of extra trimming but it's very playable overall. It should only get better as I continue working on things through the winter.

Not for nothing, but I've been stretching a few holes out just a bit to push something that's a bit closer to gold level. Hole 11 now has a par 5 long pin position which puts the hole very close to 800'. Hole 6 now has a longer pin down the hill and across the creek. That one took a very gettable 200' shot and made it a gnarly downhill turnover (RHBH) of about 300' or so. I've staked out, but not built a long tee for hole 18 which puts you a bit higher on the hill, but also adds about 30' or 40' of distance and changes the angle of attack.

I have add'l plans to stretch out hole 16 with a long tee as well as hole 8 with a long pin.

Anyway, that's a long winded way of saying the course is in solid shape and should remain so until around June most likely.

That's what I like to hear! That's gonna be my plan. Hit Idlewild and Lincoln. Time permitting, bag one of the other shorter courses in the proximity too. I'll be playing solo, and in guessing it wouldn't be too busy, so I should be able to whistle thru them at a decent pace.

There's a sweet little 9'er kind of between Idlewild and LR that would be worth the stop. South Fork Park in Florence, KY. Hole 5 is the signature, but the next three holes after that are pretty damn fun too.

Second on South Fork for a super fun and quick nine. Also, I'd choose Hidden Ridge over Liconln Ridge, just prefer wooded courses.

Not for nothing, but I've been stretching a few holes out just a bit to push something that's a bit closer to gold level. Hole 11 now has a par 5 long pin position which puts the hole very close to 800'. Hole 6 now has a longer pin down the hill and across the creek. That one took a very gettable 200' shot and made it a gnarly downhill turnover (RHBH) of about 300' or so. I've staked out, but not built a long tee for hole 18 which puts you a bit higher on the hill, but also adds about 30' or 40' of distance and changes the angle of attack.

I have add'l plans to stretch out hole 16 with a long tee as well as hole 8 with a long pin.

Harder?!?! Makes me think of the Patriot when Mel Gibson says "No lesson is necessary." lol

Anytime you are free and want to make your way north of the river you are welcome to throw here with us. :thmbup:

Florence was where I was eyeballing staying too, so that's work out fabulous!

We stayed in Florence when we went down there. Worked out great for playing LR and Idlewild. Nice area. I can't wait to hear how you like them, they're unlike anything you've played around here. I'd recommend playing all 24 holes at both. It's probably the only time you'll be that way so you might as well. Though if you wanted to play the shorter versions TCD nailed it on the head. Those creek holes at LR were sketchy when it was dry out lol. I really enjoyed them though. The "extra" 6 holes on Idlewild aren't the most exciting by any means, but worth playing once at least imo.

Second on South Fork for a super fun and quick nine. Also, I'd choose Hidden Ridge over Liconln Ridge, just prefer wooded courses.

I'll have to check this one out when I'm down there in May. I think it opened not long after I was down there last time. Wishlisted :D

cuz i was thinkin of making a mini trek down to idlewild and some surrounding

im not scared of some winter play but some courses are much "better" in the summer

you can still get a quality feel just from relativity with playing other winter courses

PM me if you decide to head this way and I will show you around Echo Valley and/or Caesar Ford, the top 2 courses in Ohio.

Made it down to Idlewild a few weeks ago for my first time. Played quick nine at South Fork waiting for a buddy to arrive and play Idlewild. Was a lot of fun even in some bad weather, might be a couple spots that could get tricky depending on snow fall. Definitely want to get back there in the summer to see it in all its glory.

Opted to play Osage Grove on the way back to Michigan and enjoyed that course a lot (maybe not the letter holes as much). Some Kentucky area locals steered us away from Mt Airy when discussing our options the night before.