• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] If You Got The Chance To Build A New Bag from Discs Released in The Last 4 Years...

jtbingster

* Ace Member *
Basically, what the title says! I haven't played much at ALL in the past four years due to college/getting married. I finally have had some time to play (plus have some college buddies who play and just moved to the area) and am looking forward to getting back into it.

Unfortunately, my old bag and discs are in storage far enough away that I won't have access to them for a little while. I'm using this (plus my long absence) as an excuse to pick up a few new molds to try out. You can see what my old bag included in my sig.

Obviously, going through several years of new info and new discs is a daunting task, so I'd love some general suggestions of the highlights that have come out recently. Most of my work is done with putters/mids/fairways, bc my home courses are mostly pretty short. Probably won't switch from Destroyers, but would especially welcome some fairway/mid suggestions. Picked up an Opto Explorer at PIAS the other day and have enjoyed the first two rounds played with it.

Thanks! :popcorn::popcorn:

Hmmm, so that puts us at 2014 or newer. I'd have to check dates on a few of these;

Putter; MVP Atom, it's comfortable, great for spin outs and you can drive with the new premium ones too.

Approach; Lat64 Caltrop, it's like a Harp with a thumbtack. I'd rather have a Harp but think they are now 5 years old.

Also the Stego and Scale from RDG are very cool in their own ways.

Mid; Westside Bard or RDG Gila are great workable but overstable Discs.

Fairway; the Explorer is very good, the Crave and Tyrant are also worth a long look.

OS fairway/control driver; motion/Fireball and Ahti to me are the class here they can easily fill that Firebird slot that is important for many of us. A lot of people will say Felon here I think.

Distance Driver; Mayhem to me is best, but there are literally a dozen good newer options.

OS DD; there are a few here I like the Phase, Enforcer and Limit the most.

So many good discs now.

Hmmm, so that puts us at 2014 or newer. I'd have to check dates on a few of these;

Putter; MVP Atom, it's comfortable, great for spin outs and you can drive with the new premium ones too.

Approach; Lat64 Caltrop, it's like a Harp with a thumbtack. I'd rather have a Harp but think they are now 5 years old.

Also the Stego and Scale from RDG are very cool in their own ways.

Mid; Westside Bard or RDG Gila are great workable but overstable Discs.

Fairway; the Explorer is very good, the Crave and Tyrant are also worth a long look.

OS fairway/control driver; motion/Fireball and Ahti to me are the class here they can easily fill that Firebird slot that is important for many of us. A lot of people will say Felon here I think.

Distance Driver; Mayhem to me is best, but there are literally a dozen good newer options.

OS DD; there are a few here I like the Phase, Enforcer and Limit the most.

So many good discs now.

Haha! No need to be too specific with the dating. I did start throwing quite a bit of MVP the last couple years I played, mostly Ions and Vectors though so I'll have to try out some of their newer stuff. Thanks for the ideas.

370 discs approved on or after 7/10/14.

from that list, discs i've threw are westside bard&destiny, vibram launch, streamline trace, reptilian scale, prodigy h2, mvp atom, photon, octane, nitro, teleport, limit, lat64 ballista, gladiator, kastaplast grym x, innova whale, thunderbird, teebird3, stud, shryke, roc3, colossus, aviar3, fly high train wreck, dynamic justice, felon, discmania fd3, ddx, dga hellfire, axiom vanish, thrill, tantrum, panic, mayhem, fireball, excite, defy.

top 3 from that list are shryke, teleport, and tantrum cuz i like high speed drivers.

if i was going to build a bag from just these, i'd havta go with atom, launch, justice, trace, hellfire, defy, ballista, teleport.

Somehow, no one has mentioned the Thunderbird. Its a Firebird that has had its LSF cut in half.

Also the Shryke. Its the flippy Destroyer that everyone wants, but most never get to it, at least not in Star.

Innova has released a slew of OS putters/mids recently, the Aviar3, AviarX3, RocX3, Rat, Caiman, Gator3, and DM released the P3x, MD3 and MD4

Innova's patent on the ThumbTrac recently expired, and Lat 64 (Caltrop), DD (Slammer), and Discraft (Ringer GT), have all created ThumbTrac putters.

Discraft has totally become more than just a company best known for its mids, with the Vulture, Undertaker, Thrasher, Punisher, Machete, Heat, Challenger OS and SS, and possibly more I've forgotten about.

Vulture: OS longer FW, similar to Innova's Thunderbird, or DMs PD

Undertaker: solid slightly OS FW

Thrasher: US driver that goes far, without a big rim

Punisher: closest thing to a DC Destroyer

Machete: Longer Predator

Heat: DCs Roadrunner

Challenger OS & SS: OS and US versions of the popular Challenger

Millennium released some interesting stuff including the Scorpius (Destroyer like), Taurus (RocX), Aries (similar to a SW. and Hyzerbomb released the Mortar (beadless/microbeaded Gator)

Several small companies have sorung up, such as: Reptilian Disc Golf (their Stego is the most OS disc ever)
Infinite Discs started making their own discs, with Innova doing the molding (their Exodus is a consistent Eagle-L)
Kastaplast is a Finnish company that makes super awesome plastic
There is probably a couple of those I've forgotten too.

I'm gonna let the Trilogy and MVP fanbois fill in for those companies.

If I was building a bag, it would be:
Discraft Ringer GT
RDG Stego
Millennium Taurus
Discraft Undertaker
Innova Thunderbird
Discraft Heat/Millennium Aries
Discraft Machete
Millennium Scorpius/Infinite Pharoah
Innova Shryke

Last edited:
Putters
Whatever Fly High's version of the Wizard is
Prodigy A1 or A2 (whatever's closer to a Zone)
Yikun Claws

Mids
Discraft Archer
Innova Roc3
Innova Gargoyle

Drivers
Discraft Thrasher
Discraft Heat
RDG Ptero
Innova Thunderbird
Prodigy H1

Forgot about the claws, it's IMO the best lid. Down @ me Polecat lovers.

If You Got The Chance To Build A New Bag from Discs Released in The Last 4 Years...
...I'd still bag a Tee Bird, Leopard, and Challenger.*

To say they're tried and true doesn't do them justice. They're still currently being made because they perform as advertised, hence they continue to sell well.

* You could go with a Wizard instead.

Last edited:
Forgot about the claws, it's IMO the best lid. Down @ me Polecat lovers.

I used to think of it as a better Birdie because of the glide, but I have developed a better appreciation of the Birdie. It is a great mold though, even in liquid metal.

Haha! No need to be too specific with the dating. I did start throwing quite a bit of MVP the last couple years I played, mostly Ions and Vectors though so I'll have to try out some of their newer stuff. Thanks for the ideas.

Tern and Roc3 were 2013. The Tern is the best DD ever made.

Call me dumb but why not just rebuild your old bag? It was obviously full of stuff you like and besides you are gonna be a bit rusty after 4 years so you really wont get a good evaluation of the new models for a while anyway. I dont see why people returning after a few years think they need the newest model just grab what you used before and play. Then if you have a hole or two in your bag find something to fill it.

I said "A FEW YEARS" if you havent played since 1990 you probably dont have any discs that are in pretty much everybodys bag.

:eek:

I mean, I see all the PDGA updates on new discs... but DAMN! 370... That's nuts.
that count has a few that are revised/retooled... didn't know they revised the wizard on 12/30/16. wonder what gateway did to it.

Latest posts