• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you had to move, which state?

Which state do you move to for DG?

• North Carolina

Votes: 41 44.6%
  • Oregon

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Texas

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 10 10.9%
  • Michigan

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • California

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Illinois

• Minnesota

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Wisconsin

• Iowa

Votes: 3 3.3%

• Total voters

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Since the best DG state poll was a bit flawed due to homestate bias, how about this. If you had to move from your home state where all your favorite local courses are and had to move to another state, solely for disc golf purposes, which state would you move to? Apologies if your state was omitted.

I live in Texas, so I guess I'm pretty well set - however if I had to moved based purely on disc golf - I'd go to Chicago. Granted Chicago has a fair number of courses, but I also have to consider that is centrally located in one of the most dense course areas in the country. I'm close to Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Indiana, Michigan, and Northern Kentucky. You have enough courses (500+) within 5 hours of your home to last you a lifetime.

Nice idea srm, though I think you'd be disappointed if you wanted to play more often than just your out of town trips if you lived in Chicago. There are a ton of courses, but the vast majority of them are mediocre 9 hole courses set in flat city parks.

I would move to a state with drastically different courses. Here in CO most of the courses near Denver are sparsley wooded except the Beaver Ranch one... I would like to be in a state near courses with dense wooded courses.

I would move to a state with drastically different courses. Here in CO most of the courses near Denver are sparsley wooded except the Beaver Ranch one... I would like to be in a state near courses with dense wooded courses.

If you want varied from the mountains - I have a bunch of flat courses in Houston for you! :)

God's country??? BC???? Canada????? I'm confused eh, are you talking about the Canada north of America you hoser? Do you mean Moose and Mosquito country??? :)

My sister-in-law is from Canada but we still accept her. ;)

I know some fan favorites probably had their bubbles burst but I looked at all those in the poll vs MA, NY, CO ,FL, GA, IN, OH, PA in terms of course rated 2-5, and 4-5 discs respectively to try and determine quantity and quality. CO missed out by the skin of their teeth, by the data they deserve to be in the poll more than KY and OR but I subjectively placed them out. Sorry.

Oh, and I voted OR.

If I have to choose between better disc golf opportunities and no more Southwest Lousiana cooking, I'm not moving. I will make sporadic ventures into Texas to play DG, but I always return.

If I'm going to live somewhere solely for the regional disc golf courses I wouldn't move out of Ohio. I have an A-tier tournament course literally across the street from me and a handful more quality courses within 30 minutes. But that being said my wife and I are in love with Northern California so that is the ultimate goal.

Pennsylvania should have made the list for sure. If you look at the top 50 courses on this site (10+ reviews, which was the standard for last year's site list), here's the breakdown

PA - 6
TX - 6
KY - 5
CA - 5
NC - 3
OR - 3
CO, TN, MI, MN, MO, NY, WI - 2 each
GA, IL, MA, MD, MS, IN, VA, WV - 1 each

TX, KY, CA, NC and OR all made the poll. Of the states with two top courses, MI, MN and WI made the poll. Of the states with one top course, only IL made the poll... For some reason, Iowa is on the poll, despite lacking any top courses.

PA, which is tied with TX for highest number of top-ranked courses misses the poll entirely. And having played all of the top TX courses, and most of the top PA courses, IMHO, the top courses in PA are far better in almost every way than the top courses in TX, or many of the other states listed. Leaving off PA is just a sad injustice.

Personally, I'm voting for NC, because of a combination of good weather, great local clubs, tons of high-level tournaments, and proximity to other great states/courses within roadtrip distance. Charlotte is disc golf mecca as far as I am concerned. And the home grown tour there is another huge bonus, and a rare find. NC wins my vote, hands down, but leaving PA off the list is an insult to all the top-ranked courses and great disc golf folks in that state.

If it was to play in PDGA sanctioned tournaments, I would suggest upstate SC (Anderson or Greenville). I did a study a few years back and was amazed at how few weekends of the year there were not tournaments within a 3 hour radius (Atlanta, Asheville, Augusta/IDGC, Charleston SC, Charlotte/Rock Hill, Columbia, Greenville SC, Greensboro/Winston-Salem/Burlington, Johnson City/Bristol TN, Knoxville, Yadkinville/Wilkesboro). Raleigh is just outside that radius.

If you are willing to travel that far for casual play weekend trips, those areas offer a very high number of excellent courses with a ton of variety. This area of the SE has got to take the cake as far as quantity and quality. Weather is hot and humid in the summer, but you can play all year. I have not been to the Pacific Northwest yet (I am dying to), but I do not think another 3 hour radius area can beat upstate SC.

Last edited:
Based on proximity I feel even stronger that Ohio is a great place to be for disc golf. Aside from the quality courses in state, I'm a relatively short drive to the courses in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Based on proximity I feel even stronger that Ohio is a great place to be for disc golf. Aside from the quality courses in state, I'm a relatively short drive to the courses in Michigan, Kentucky, Pennsylvania, Indiana, and West Virginia.

Sorry - gotta DQ you. The thread is about if you had to move somewhere and you already live in Capital Oh H Ten. :D

if i had to move from colorado it would be to florida. just for the fact that i could play almost every day and weather would almost never be an issue.

Spain or Portugal. Food, wine and an old cultural scene. I'd find the courses or make a few. Its a big round planet and limiting it to the lower 48 states seems a bit.....limiting. But if you gotta have me vote.....I am for the U.P. in Michigan. Bugs and long winters keep the ams out and the trout streams are an alternative to dg. Every trout stream is like a disc golf course.....some better than others and some fantastic for beauty and challenges. Hanging a fly cast right where it needs to be is just as good as an ace. Then the trout takes it. Then I take it home and eat it. Yum. Can't eat plastic.

Pennsylvania should have made the list for sure. If you look at the top 50 courses on this site (10+ reviews, which was the standard for last year's site list), here's the breakdown

PA - 6
TX - 6
KY - 5
CA - 5
NC - 3
OR - 3
CO, TN, MI, MN, MO, NY, WI - 2 each
GA, IL, MA, MD, MS, IN, VA, WV - 1 each

TX, KY, CA, NC and OR all made the poll. Of the states with two top courses, MI, MN and WI made the poll. Of the states with one top course, only IL made the poll... For some reason, Iowa is on the poll, despite lacking any top courses.

PA, which is tied with TX for highest number of top-ranked courses misses the poll entirely. And having played all of the top TX courses, and most of the top PA courses, IMHO, the top courses in PA are far better in almost every way than the top courses in TX, or many of the other states listed. Leaving off PA is just a sad injustice.

Personally, I'm voting for NC, because of a combination of good weather, great local clubs, tons of high-level tournaments, and proximity to other great states/courses within roadtrip distance. Charlotte is disc golf mecca as far as I am concerned. And the home grown tour there is another huge bonus, and a rare find. NC wins my vote, hands down, but leaving PA off the list is an insult to all the top-ranked courses and great disc golf folks in that state.

Sorry t i m, but I didn't conduct my poll that way, I gave way more weight to quantity over quality since quality is wee bit harder to measure. Between PA and IA, PA has 46 courses rated 2-5, to IA's 63, 8 rated 4-5 to IA's impressive 17. Are those numbers inflated? I don't know. I just report what I see. You keep taking it personal I'm gonna start calling you Gangstarr.

I live in Oregon and just played Pier Park this weekend and loved it. I wouldn't want to move for any reason, but if I had to, I think I would move to either PA or TX. I've heard a lot of good things about the courses in these states as well as the fact that there are a ton of them.