• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] If you had to pick one...

If you had to pick one...

• Dynamic Discs

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Latitude 64

Votes: 26 36.6%
  • Westside

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
Part of it is people just not throwing them because of some bizarre bias that has nothing to do with the product.

I have a problem with the product.
I used to throw DD stuff, so I can only give my experience.
At the time I was throwing them (could all be different now).
I don't like their base line plastic, it warps, flight plates wrinkle and that sets off my OCD.
Their mids are too fast for what I consider a disc for control, I could never dial distance and fade in.
They had a pretty pathetic grouping of fairways. (I know there are more now)
Most if not all of their drivers are too shallow for my meat hook fingers.

My Bias came later. And my bias is enough to keep me from trying any more of their discs.

I still own 2 Escapes though.

Part of it is people just not throwing them because of some bizarre bias that has nothing to do with the product.

That may be a part of it, but how big a part is it really? I've built entire bags of discs from each Trilogy company, and here's why I would put DD in third place:

1) They have nothing even close to a Teebird. Lat64 has the Spark (recycled), and now the Explorer, and they tried with the River Pro. Westside has the Stag, which for me brand new in VIP plastic flew like a 2-year old seasoned Teebird, so at least they have that. DD has...nothing. Big hole in the DD lineup IMO.

2) Very OS fairway (Firebird is my benchmark): Ahti/XXX>Felon.

3) Stable-OS control driver (Thunderbird is my benchmark): Longbowman/Culverin>Convict.

4) General feel in hand: a lot of the time it feels like I'm holding Pringles lids (obvious hyperbole here) when I compare DD discs to their counterparts from other brands. Maybe they are just shallower or have a profile that makes them feel more shallow. I honestly wonder if people with smaller hands or shorter fingers or whatever find DD to have more comfortable discs.

5) Joy of throwing: When I pull out a disc from my bag, I want to look forward to throwing it. DD has 3 discs that do that for me: Warden, Escape, Defender. Lat64 has the Pure, Anchor, Culverin, and Flow, and it seems like I'd enjoy the Explorer based on reviews. Westside has the Shield, Pine, Bard, Warship, Stag, Ahti, Fortress, Sword, King, Giant.

Yes, these are my opinions, so I'm speaking for myself and YMMV...but there are people who have actually thrown the discs who simply prefer the other options over DD.

FWIW, I do like the DD media presence overall. That and the Trilogy Challenge are what got me to try out Trilogy discs in the first place.

Last edited:
1. I throw Teebirds.
2. I don't carry that slot
3. I throw Thunderbirds
4. That makes no sense, and is basically made up.
5. OK

Remember the 2013 Memorial when Will tapped in the winning putt, and the whole Prodigy crew ran over and surrounded him, hoisted him up, and chanted "Prodigy"? That's what I envision the DD guys doing everywhere. On the tour bus, in the warehouse, at restaurants...

...anyways, I'd choose Lat.

Havoc has a really comfortable rim, same with the XXX, River/River-Pro combo, Compass is a slightly flatter Buzzz, and I'm already familiar with the Mercy.

1. I throw Teebirds.
2. I don't carry that slot
3. I throw Thunderbirds
4. That makes no sense, and is basically made up.
5. OK

1) Yes, you throw Teebirds and Thunderbirds, but this thread is talking about picking *one* of the Trilogy. So (again, IMO) DD falls in third place *among the Trilogy* companies in filling those slots in their lineup, especially since they have a gaping hole in their fairway lineup.

2) But many people do, and if people find that *among the Trilogy* that DD fills that slot worse than the other two companies, then it matters when rating the three companies relative to each other.

3) See above.

4) You don't think how a disc feels in hand is a real thing? You're saying all the people who talk about how a disc feels good/comfortable in their hand are just spouting nonsense and making it up? Okay, here's a random shoe that is in your size. Oh, it doesn't feel good on your foot? You have high/regular/fallen arches and it doesn't feel supportive for your foot, but may be better for someone with a different arch characteristic? Nonsense, you're making that up!

5) OK.

Look, you talked about bias in place of product trial as a basis for rating DD lower than the other two Trilogy companies. My point is that there are people who have tried the actual product and still rate DD in third place below Westside and Lat 64. So while there may be bias, how big of a part does bias actually play in people rating DD third out of the Trilogy?

Remember the 2013 Memorial when Will tapped in the winning putt, and the whole Prodigy crew ran over and surrounded him, hoisted him up, and chanted "Prodigy"? That's what I envision the DD guys doing everywhere. On the tour bus, in the warehouse, at restaurants...

The fact he did it with a Prodigy stamped Glow Firebird just makes it so much better. He probably used a Wizard to tap the putt in

^^^ right? I understand where they were coming from. They had stars in their eyes. First big win for a company they all had a part ownership in...still, super cringey...

...aaaand that's the vibe the DD guys give me.

You know the stamp or logo with the two D's on it and the crown. I've bought stuff from them before but avoid those stamps. It really cheesed me off with a bunch of their supercolor runs where they had it in there. Good artwork except for the logo. If there's a Disc I really want like my 177 flx Buzzz from a Marshall street tournament I'll buy it but its not my preference unless I was at the tourney...

4) You don't think how a disc feels in hand is a real thing? You're saying all the people who talk about how a disc feels good/comfortable in their hand are just spouting nonsense and making it up? Okay, here's a random shoe that is in your size. Oh, it doesn't feel good on your foot? You have high/regular/fallen arches and it doesn't feel supportive for your foot, but may be better for someone with a different arch characteristic? Nonsense, you're making that up!
I don't think there is anything different about DD vs the other two that would justify your comment. Yes, I think you made it up. If they were that different it would be truly revolutionary.

Oh, and you are arguing with me over something I never said. Saying that there is some bizarre bias out there does not mean there are no people who have honestly tried the discs and not liked them.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything different about DD vs the other two that would justify your comment. Yes, I think you made it up. If they were that different it would be truly revolutionary.

Let me break it down further since it seems like it was hard to understand. When comparing different discs within the same "slots" in the lineup, I find DD discs, especially drivers, generally to feel more flat and shallow and therefore less substantial in my hand. This is even before looking at specs/stats, which make it apparent why this can be: there are varying combinations of height and rim depth. Based on Keller's comment:
Most if not all of their drivers are too shallow for my meat hook fingers.
it seems like I am not alone in feeling that DD drivers are shallow. Like if I were to hold a Convict and a Culverin, both are speed 9 and in similar spots on the Trilogy flight chart. But a Convict and Culverin do not feel the same, and it is a fact that they have different dimensions, so it makes sense that they do not feel the same. It isn't made up. They are demonstrably different even though they are both speed 9 drivers.

Let's look at another comparison: Trespass vs. Sword, sitting right next to each other on the Trilogy flight chart as speed 12 stable-slightly OS distance drivers. The two discs have different rim depths according to their specs, with the DD disc again being shallower. Wouldn't this account for a different feel?

How about putters? The Shield and Marshal are both 3/3/0/1. The Shield has more height, so this physical difference translates to a different feel in hand. Again, the DD disc feels shallower than a similar disc from one of the other companies.

Is this scientific across the board? No, but I never claimed that. But I have thrown a lot of Trilogy discs, and I have noticed that the DD discs feel shallower because of their combinations of height and rim depth. So that is the trend that I have perceived in my experience with Trilogy discs. And the FACTS of the different disc dimensions support my perception that was initially based on feel in hand.

Does this not make sense? How discs within the same category can feel different because they are physically different?

I play multiple musical instruments and can palm a basketball, so I have larger than average hands and fingers that are used to feeling differences. Combine that with the FACT that discs have different dimensions, and is it still so hard to believe that I found that the DD discs I tried have felt shallower?

Oh, and you are arguing with me over something I never said. Saying that there is some bizarre bias out there does not mean there are no people who have honestly tried the discs and not liked them.

That may be a part of it, but how big a part is it really?

So while there may be bias, how big of a part does bias actually play in people rating DD third out of the Trilogy?

I didn't say that you said there are no people who have tried the discs. You stated bias that has nothing to do with the product is part of the reason DD is rated lower. You did not state anything about people trying the product. Since you only stated bias as part of the reason, it begs the question: other than bias, what are other reasons why DD is rated lower? In response, I gave another part of the reason why people would rate DD lower (experiences with trying the product, holes in the product line.) I also acknowledged your point about bias, and then further asked (twice) how big a part does bias play. So if anything, you have dodged my question twice.

For the third time: DD is (currently) rated lower; how much of this can be attributed to bias vs. people trying the discs out and simply liking them less?

I like the DD mid lineup. I think if I couldn't throw Rocs, I could cycle eMac Truths book-ended with a Verdict and be okay (although I would miss Rocs and I'd probably have to throw premium plastic mids which I wouldn't love). For that reason, I would be tempted to pick DD, although I've never thrown their drivers except a FR Trespass and FR Escape a long time ago, so that could be a big mistake as well. Then again, I don't have much experience with all that many drivers from any of the Trilogy companies. Back when my bag was less well setup, I messed around with a Flow, Giant, World, and Bolt, but I only ever had one of each and didn't use them much. I would miss my Daggers, but the Judge seems like a putter I could probably live with.

I don't really like DD's marketing. They seem to think themselves much cleverer and much funnier than they actually are, and Bobby kind of annoys me. Still, they are a US-based company, and getting tour support from them would probably be easier than trying to hit up someone in Sweden anytime you needed something (though I could be totally wrong about that). And they support some other pros I like such as Paige Pierce so there's that.

No wonder Paige Pierce went to DD. ;) :p

Just kidding. And wasn't it Drew Gibson that left them because of that?

^^^ not sure. "I didn't quite fit in with the team that well." I read into it as less a company culture thing, and more individual personalities.

^^^ not sure. "I didn't quite fit in with the team that well." I read into it as less a company culture thing, and more individual personalities.

I don't disagree with you, but I wonder if that company culture didn't contribute to the clash of personalities. If Drew didn't buy in to that culture, then that might be part of "didn't quite fit in..."

I would use the brand that has the most Magnet like disc in feel and the Valkyrie like disc in flight. I think that is Westside and then use that as a bargening chip to go to Discraft, a reverse of what Eric McCabe did. Try to tell Discraft you could do a opposite of Eric MCabe and convince me to go to Discraft, they would be pissed Plus I will tell Discraft I would stay on long enough to swipe the how to do the Video stuff and transplant that to Discraft/DGA but less garbage more quality. ;)

Discraft has picked up the slack a bit in 2018 for upgrading it's Company site and having Numbers on the discs. Still keep the old system on the discs that have the Flight Numbers.

Last edited: