• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you owned a disc golf store...

TNDiscGolfer

Par Member
I was just wondering if you guys own/could own a DG store, what would you have in your store and what would the store look like inside and outside. I have been thinking recently of opening one in my town and looking for ideas and just basically want to know what creativeness you guys could come up with. Unique things but lets not get too crazy. I already know I will provide the discs no one around here carries, just same 'ol Innova and Discraft around here with occasional Discmania and ABC discs. Also was thinking of having a driving range beside the store so you could try any disc before you by limiting special discs, limited editions, etc. Also thought about having a small area for ball golf things like whole sets of clubs and apparel etc. Just to bring the two golfs together and hopefully get some people turned to the awesome sport of DG. Any thoughts help guys. Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure about the merger of yuppy golf and stoner golf, but I would offer clinics.
If you have any local pro's give them a nice discount on plastic to host weekly clinics for your shop. I think that would help a lot in building long term customers.

1. Offer all the extras: instructional videos, tournaments, towels, markers, bags, straps, clothing, shoes, skateboards (draw in the kids, mix of people).

2. Used section..... I don't know how to work it exactly, but how about a Trade Board - - for people to trade discs for discs. A "wanted" board for merchandise requests.

3. A "What's new" section; a "What's to come" section....

4. Miscellaneous: Cool funky '80's carpet for that alternative ambience lol, and music blaring all the time. Also, gumball machine in front and hot, "alternative" women with colored hair and those too-short t-shirts working inside.

5. Also: Paint the outside something funky, it'll become a hang-out and you'll make a bundle.

6. Community Announcement board for clinics, tourneys, and maybe try to be a local hub with connections to tourneys so that they can sign up beforehand at your place (if that's possible).

7. Information about how to sign up for a PDGA member.

8. Literature on form, technique, etc...

9. Videos playing all the time.....

Skateboard-ify the whole place in terms of style..... If it's fun to go to I think more people will feel inclined to go.

Last edited:
Do basket Raffles, a store near me Raffles a basket every couple of months. Still have not won yet. He keeps doing it so it's making a profit for him.

Sponser or host, leagues/tournaments, this will get your name and business out there.

Also offer shipping and online shopping.

Something more than Innova, Discraft & Gateway.

WIDE variety of weights & colors.

Contact some folks who market disc disc golf stuff like t-shirts, hats, towels, lighters, water bottles, etc and become a distributor. Hopefully someone local. Or better yet market your own paraphernalia.

Try to get some pros stop by for a meet & greet & clinic.

A driving range.

Good luck.

1. Offer all the extras: instructional videos, tournaments, towels, markers, bags, straps, clothing, shoes, skateboards (draw in the kids, mix of people).

2. Used section..... I don't know how to work it exactly, but how about a Trade Board - - for people to trade discs for discs. A "wanted" board for merchandise requests.

3. A "What's new" section; a "What's to come" section....

4. Miscellaneous: Cool funky '80's carpet for that alternative ambience lol, and music blaring all the time. Also, gumball machine in front and hot, "alternative" women with colored hair and those too-short t-shirts working inside.

5. Also: Paint the outside something funky, it'll become a hang-out and you'll make a bundle.

6. Community Announcement board for clinics, tourneys, and maybe try to be a local hub with connections to tourneys so that they can sign up beforehand at your place (if that's possible).

7. Information about how to sign up for a PDGA member.

8. Literature on form, technique, etc...

9. Videos playing all the time.....

Skateboard-ify the whole place in terms of style..... If it's fun to go to I think more people will feel inclined to go.

you should move to my area, you would love the fact that the local skateboard shop is also into disc golf, snowboarding, bikes, and more.

Keep them comin' guys! Awesome response so far! I have thought of a few of these things like definitely having clinics and the funky paint scheme on outside. I like the idea for the used/trade board, that's definitely something that would keep me as a disc golfer coming back to see whats up for trade. The raffle idea is awesome I just dont know how you would make money off it really to keep doing it every month. Maybe a Christmas raffle and a few holidays throughout the year. I like the idea of having skateboarding equipment to bring in different types of people but I just don't know much about skateboarding to do it right off the bat. Yeah I could hire someone to just answer questions and sell them but why pay extra money for something that may or may not be a profit? I was also thinking about doing the online shopping website for the store but with all the other DG websites out there selling things I would have to look in to it and have to get a bangin' deal from the manufacturers of the discs to be able to beat any of the competitors prices online. Like I said though all of these are great ideas just some have to way more thought about and looked at on a loss to profit side. Keep them coming guys!

Putting league. Depending on how big the shop is, you could have a regular putting league either in our around your shop. If you're located up north, this could be a cool substitute to weekly dubs leagues during the winter months. There's lots of ways to do it; organize it like HORSE, match play, etc. Best part is, it brings real golfers off the course and into your shop.

Also, maybe you could offer on-course lessons.

I think aside from some of the great ideas mentioned above, location would be key. Here in PGH there's a bicycle shop that also sells some discs. I've yet to make it there yet because it's in the other side of town. (bridges and tunnels make a traffic nightmare so it's annoying to cross town) I also think you would be wise to align yourself with the local club. I.E. Custom stamps for local courses, events, tournaments, etc.

I really like the driving range idea, also the used/trade idea would be awesome.

I wonder could you use trade-ins in a similar fashion to places like gamestop? I.E. I trade in a 8/10 star plastic disc and you give me $x.xx in store credit, less if I want straight cash. Better deal for me if I want to trade used for used.

And I definitely agree that the selection has to include as many manufactures as you can. From my experience people love to buy and try out new plastic. But buying online can be a craps shoot. And going to the sporting goods store and only having Innova discs to choose from stinks. Thus it would be awesome for you to run the gamut on manufactures.

People have probably seen me compare disc golf to skateboarding in terms of product development and history but here's another example. There are skateshops out there with discs in them. That's Utopia's deal in CT from what I understand. That cracks me up because in the late 80's there were a lot of bike shops selling skateboard products in one corner of the bike shop. This was in the days when skatebaording was too small to justify many pure skateshops outside of city centers and disc golf is the same way now.

The driving range/net idea is great but you should really deedicate a tester disc for each model. It can really rub players the wrong way for them to think that every disc in your shop may have been thrown already (even if it is just into a soft net). I recommend an in-store putting league. Lots of retail space shops do this with great success. I'd also say to add MVP to your product offering. They have a small number of models so it is easy to carry their entire line. They are a real conversation piece when showing customers different types of discs including existing players who have not seen MVP. Oh, and they sell like hotcakes. Trust me. I often have trouble keeping them in stock. I have a shed shop at a private course and I vend at a lot of tournaments (as opposed to rented retail space) so I can comment more on products than retail merchandising.

The number one thing is to keep your customers' experience unique. Someone touched on examples earlier. You're competing with online shops who might be selling for less than you and won't be charging sales tax. There is a huge advantage to buying discs in-person due to dome/flat variation but that is not #1 in every customer's mind. The most important thing is to get customers into the store so yes, pay to get the pros in when they come to town and offer things online shops can't like used discs, trade-in deals, etc. Now more than ever retailers have to sell their customers an experience, not just a product.

Adding to the advice of others, the rent is too damn high for you to support a permanent retail building selling disc golf equipment alone. You just can't sell enough discs, at a few dollars margin apiece, to pay for the rent on a decent retail space. Whether it be skateboard equipment, golf equipment, or whatever, find out what activities in your area overlap demographically with disc golf and make space for them in your store. And make sure your store is as close as possible to a disc golf course. Otherwise, you may be better off driving your discs to the park in a pickup truck or a small trailer.

Also, unless you have major investors ready to cut you loans and a capable web developer ready to build you a smashingly high quality online store, stay out of the internet sales business. It's probably more trouble than it's worth to you, unless you're really organized and set up to do BIG volume very quickly.

If you do decide to set up shop in a permanent retail space, make sure you keep the inventory well organized and keep the space well lit. You will sell more discs if people don't have to work to find what they want, and it's amazing how much difference a clean, clear, well-lit space makes in sales volume.

Also don't be surprised if you sell most of your discs to casual and recreational players. You definitely want to attract the serious locals by keeping variety in your inventory, but they're likely to be the minority of your customers. Don't sacrifice your stock of Aviars, Leopards, and Stingrays just because you want to squeeze a few more Boatmen and Secret Weapons onto your shelves. The discs you want on your shelves are the ones that sell the fastest. If 9 out of 10 customers ask for the same model, make sure you keep it well stocked, no matter how much you may not like the disc yourself. In other words, you may have to sell Grooves to keep the lights on. Whatever you do, don't neglect your bread and butter. You're there to please your customers, not to tell them what they don't want to buy. ;)

Last edited:
I would never own a disc golf store, I just don't see it making money....I don't know how Dynamic Discs does it. What I would do is open a convenience store close to a park that had 2 aisles dedicated to DG! One aisle would be nothing but the top selling discs and the newest ones, and the other would be a basic bag selection, minis, score pads...etc.

Oh and if someone lost a disc to a water hazard and they come in wet, I would give them 10% a new disc.

Be the first to actually open on in the city for starters...Sell lots of lats, innova, discraft, and other major and minor brands.
Offer used section and so on
Bags, gear, and other stuff.
Baskets
stuff

I would never own a disc golf store, I just don't see it making money....I don't know how Dynamic Discs does it. What I would do is open a convenience store close to a park that had 2 aisles dedicated to DG! One aisle would be nothing but the top selling discs and the newest ones, and the other would be a basic bag selection, minis, score pads...etc.

Oh and if someone lost a disc to a water hazard and they come in wet, I would give them 10% a new disc.

This. GGGT has displays in some Super Americas around here and the sell well. I think a C-Store with a load of discs would be awesome, especially if it was near a course.

A section for disc artists to display their work and perhaps sell them on consignment.

Picnic tables and benches outside with shade. Sell fountain drinks.

spinner's on the green

right next to a course.
right next to a sports bar.
sells pretty much every manufacturer.
gives you credit for found discs.
lets you buy back your discs you lost for $2.
used rack.
owners run leagues at vista.

rents bicycles to help with expenses.

idk though unless you have a ton of foot traffic a storefront will suck money like no other.

Latest posts