• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you were to take a Disc Golf vacation...?

LanceInTacoma

Bronze level trusted reviewer
...where would you go?

I am trying to set up a trip, sometime in the spring or the fall, preferably (I just hate the heat/humidity of summer and I want to play a bunch of golf. So, I am curious. If you were to fly into some city, rent a car, play 2-3 rounds a day for 5-6 days in the surrounding area, and wanted to play lots of great courses, where would you go?

I started thinking about this while I was reading some reviews of a couple of courses in the Cincinnati area. It sounds like there are at least three really nice courses right there fairly locally, and lots of other decent courses nearby.

Are there any other areas like that? What does everyone think?

Lance in Tacoma, WA

Fort Worth area is loaded with nice courses. Z-Boaz, Bear Creek, 36 holes at Cedar Ceek, Bicenntennial, Jimmy Porter, Greenbelt, Lake Louisville and there are some new courses that I Have never played. My brother and I have done that many times there. You can't even get to them all in 5 or 6 days.

I say go with the Cincinnati or Louisville approach. Lots of good courses within driving distance.

Minneapolis looks like it has a bunch of courses.. I hope to be playing some in the MSP and Eastern Wisconsin area this next week. I'll let you know how it the courses work out for me.
Other plus of Minneapolis- you can get to IOWA and Wisconsin in about 90 minutes. You might be able to get courses in 3 states. :)

• Cinncinatti
  • Charlotte NC. with Rock Hill nearby
  • Minneapolis
  • even Raleigh NC would offer lots of courses

Bay Area................Northern California has it all. Great weather, women, food, beaches, and a nice night life. To be able to play in S.F. AND Santa Cruz would be truely amazing.

Only played 1 Charlotte course so far and that was Hornet's nest. Tough course but had a lot of fun. Rumor has it that it will be the home of the Am Worlds in 2012

I just did a Maine trip and hit up 9 courses in 3 days. Things are spread out up there but the drive time is spent on winding mountain roads so its pretty nice. DG is spreading like wildfire up there and the attitudes are so great. Clean courses, great pro shops, and some good players who are very accomodating to out of towners.

Austin, TX. The disc golf capital of Texas. I am taking a vacation up there in November.

If you don't mind driving a ways, a good place to fly into is Baltimore. You can make a circle through a few states hitting, Seneca Creek, Paw Paw, Codorus In PA, Brandywine in Deleware. Plus as many other courses along your path.

Colorado

We just got back, and let me recommend Colorado. Don't wait for summer to be over go now. No humidity or heat to contend with there. Mountain courses are exciting if you've never played one. We played Colorado Springs, Pueblo, Poncha Springs, Aspen, Leadville, and Vail. All the courses were great. If you want to stay fairly cheap and centrally located, let me recommend Salida. A little driving is required, but it's some great site seeing.

Trust me, the I-35 corridor centered in Des Moines, Iowa, for hundreds of miles north and hundreds of miles south, is just packed with great world class courses, many right off the highway. If I were to hit one spot it would be along that route, even down to Texas, I-35 is probably the best Interstate to play along.

Trust me, the I-35 corridor centered in Des Moines, Iowa, for hundreds of miles north and hundreds of miles south, is just packed with great world class courses, many right off the highway. If I were to hit one spot it would be along that route, even down to Texas, I-35 is probably the best Interstate to play along.

Hmm, so what we are saying here is, to hell with route 66.
Disc Golf has a road of its own....Disc Live I-35! ;)

It's not to far from Tacoma, I'd recommend Portland OR. With top notch courses like, Pier Park, Milo Mciver Park and the up and coming Trojan park, it's a great place for disc golf, and there's great weather all summer. And if you wanted more golf you could take a day to go down to the Eugene area to play the newer Oakway course.

Sorry guys, but its no contest.Fly into Minneapolis, and make a beeline for Highbridge, Wisconsin. Its only three hours away, and home to a Disc Golf Resort with 5 18 hole courses (more being built) and a 9 hole course. All designed by Chuck Kennedy. You even have to option of camping there OR even staying at The giant lodge.

Plus, before and/or after highbridge, you can play in the Twin Cites, which have TONS of great courses like Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, North Valley, Plymouth Creek, Acorn, Lakewood Hills, to name a few.

Not to mention the cities in between the two with multiple courses, like Menomonie, Rice Lake, and Chippewa Falls (also home to Leinienkugels Brewery, the perfect place to tour between rounds)

In both Quality and quantity, you can't go wrong. I've been here almost 3 months, playing several times a week, and haven't even played half of what the Twin Cities have to offer. You will not run out of courses to play here. Its impossible. South Dakota is just 3 hours west, and there are TONS of courses there and in MN on the way there.

For this reason, my friends from Texas are scheduling just such a vacation up here to go to Highbridge. Its gonna be awesome

How about North Mississippi in the Fall/Winter.....

When you guys up North get snowed out come this way. Might I recommend Tupelo, MS where you can stay for $55-$75 a night or really cheap in the state park cabins.

Here is what you will find, all within a two hour drive.

Tombigbee St Park very nice in the fall for foilage(not Tenn type but not bad)
Veteran's Park- 27 holes
Trace St. Park-18 holes with two lakes on the course, very nice.
Tallahatchie Trails-18 holes along the Tallahatchie river
(these courses along with Veteran's hosting the Southern Nationals Doubles Championship this year)
Panther Prowl disc golf course in Amory(my home course)
Lake Lowdes St in Columbus. Could be the most beautiful 20 holes in N. Miss.
Bulldog DGC in Starkville, MS. 18 holes in Miss. St. campus. If you have never seen co-eds at the Miss. Universities you are in for a treat.
Rebel DGC in Oxford, MS on Ole Miss Campus, see co-eds bit.
Two courses at Wall Doxey state park, 36 holes of killer golf.
Two courses at Tishimingo State park, foothills of the mountains in TN. Have some great outcroppings with one of the courses playing through them.
Pickwick Plantation in Pickwick, TN
Almost all of the Memphis courses are within 2 hours drive.

There are at least 20 courses within two hours of Tupelo with most of them accessible by four lane highways for the majority of the trip. It only pains me to say I rarely play any of them except for the one in my home town.

Latest posts