• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If you were to take a Disc Golf vacation...?

Minneapolis has a few things going for it. First, it has the highest concentration of disc golf courses in the world. If you want to play lots of different holes it's the best place hands down. Second there's lots to do besides disc golf if you want something else to do. There are two cities with professional and collegate sports, tons of museums and parks and more shopping than you'd know what to do with.

Kansas City has several really good coures and lots of stuff to do as well. If you're looking for activities besides disc golf, MPLS or KC would make good destinations.

If you're willing to give up some courses compared to MPLS, but are OK with enough courses nearby to hold both pro and am worlds simultaneously then Des Moines might be worth checking out. There's less to do besides disc golf compared to MPLS or KC, but the city is smaller so it's easier to get around and might be cheaper to stay at, but flights might be more expensive.

Michigan Detroit, Ann Arbor, Lansing, Ludington.
Detroit area has: Riverbends in shelby Twp
Addison Oaks in Romeo
Stoney Creek also in shelby
Ann Arbor Has: Hudson mills 2 24 hole courses, nicest I've played
Kensington very nice 24 hole course
Lansing Has Grand Woods ,Nice but crowded.
Grand Ledge not worth a special trip but cool enough if you're in the area
Ludington Has Flip City (actually in the village of Shelby, not to be confused with shelby twp.)

There are quite a few more but those are my fav's

Lance,

Please let us know where you decide to go. Then after the trip it would also be great to hear your impressions.

My brother and I are doing a week-long disc golf trip in mid-August to play a lot of the PA/NY/NJ/DE courses, many of which are supposed to be just stunning.

We'll get in all 54 holes at Codorus (PA), the 36 holes at Pinchot State Park (PA), all the 2005 Pro Worlds courses in PA (Jordan Creek, Little Lehigh, Nockamixon, Tinicum), Warwick (NY), Campgaw (NJ), Tyler State Park (PA), Brandywine (DE), and Iron Hill (DE).

We're skipping some obvious great courses that should go in that loop because we've been to then before (Seneca and Patapsco in MD, Whispering Falls in PA, The Woodshed and Whipping Post in WV, etc...).

I think that if I could head anywhere, it would be Minnesota, but depending on what your flights and other arrangements look like, it is worth considering what fits your budget and schedule, and its worth having several options depending on where the flights are cheapest the week you want to go.

I would also recommend NC/SC/GA as a great option -- make the short loop from Charlotte to Augusta, and hit up Raleigh as well if you have time -- some amazing courses in all three places, many of which are legendary.

Another option would include a Massachusetts week, with Maple Hills, Pyramids, Buffumville Dam, Borderlands, Barre Falls, and some nearby courses in VT, CT and RI as additional courses.

If you just want a great vacation, then the SF Bay Area is worth considering -- a handful of top-shelf courses there, including DeLaveaga and Golden Gate Park, but also stunning weather, beautiful vistas, wine country, microbreweries, and lots of great camping and hiking. It's not where I would go for a disc golf only excursion, but definitely a place I would consider for an overall awesome vacation. Same goes for Seattle and Portland -- a handful of awesome, awesome, awesome courses, but also a lot of other diversions if you want a break from DG.

The other thing to consider is what your home courses are like. Do you want courses that are similar or courses that are entirely different? Different parts of the country seem to have their own flavor when it comes to their courses. Think about what you want out of your trip.

Also, do you want to go to a handful of courses and just relax, enjoy, soak in the beauty, play the best courses 2-3 times each; or do you want to rush around and hit as many courses as possible?

My favorite disc golf retreat is Paw Paw in WV -- two world-class courses on the same bit of private land. Some of the best camping I know of and some of the friendliest people as your hosts. It's a place you can pitch your tents, leave the car unlocked, build a campfire, play beer-in-hand the whole time, swim in the pond, just r-e-l-a-x. And shoot on two of the best SSA-64 courses I know of, with a crazy mix of woods, open shots, and elevation changes. For sheer enjoyment, I'd plan a trip that started in Pittsburgh, played the 3-4 world-class courses near Pittsburgh (Moraine, Knob Hill, others...), then headed down to stay at PawPaw for two or three days. Then make sure to hit Whispering Falls on the way back up to Pittsburgh, and hit anything else you can to round out your trip. That would be a relaxing week... all the golf you want, but also several zero-stress days with no hotels or traffic to worry about: just you and the discs.

If you are planning for the fall Austin is the place to go. Not too hot and not too cold. I have 28 courses within 67 miles of my house.

Without a doubt, if you're looking for both quantity and quality, Minneapolis is your best bet. There are 25 courses within the metro area alone (the most in the U.S., I believe), and 60 courses within 60 miles of downtown Minneapolis. If you're up for more driving, you could fly into Mpls. or Milwaukee and make a pilgrimage to the massive High Bridge complex (I think it's up to 6 18-hole courses?) in northern Wisconsin. Milwaukee and the Green Bay area have some gorgeous courses, too. There are over 350 courses in MN, WI, and IA alone, so those states should be on everyone's list.

I just moved from MN to Boston, where I only have 18 courses within 60 miles of home... I do miss the unlimited DG options in the upper Midwest!

highbridge sounds amazing and affordable. i think i have my next spring break destination.

The way my family and I did it this spring. We stayed at Sandy Point Disc Golf Resort. Sandy Point is absolutely beautiful the cabins are great and the owners are super cool. The course is 27 holes that even after a week long stay you will not become bored with. One of the days at Sandy Point we made a day trip up to Highbridge, its about 45 min north of Sandy Point and played there and then returned back to Sandy Point for a glow round.

Take a look at the pics of each hole that are linked off the above link.

Last edited:
Memphis, TN

Lance, this may be a little farther than you want to go but Memphis, TN and the surrounding areas offer several great courses for us disc golfers. There are at least 12 courses within an hour drive of the city. Several of those are in state parks where there are multiple courses at each location. Since travelling is an option, you could then go into western Arkansas and northeast Mississippi and middle Tennesse and play at least 15 more courses. These range from long, open courses to shorter, wooded courses, and anywhere in between.
On top of all that, Memphis has a thriving disc golf club that plays as a club every Thursday night in Memphis and every Tuesday night in Millington (just north of Memphis). To the South about 10 miles is the Southave Disc Golf Club that hosts doubles tournaments every Tuesday (I think).
Memphis doesn't have the absolute best golf in the world but it is pretty. Definitely worth a trip.
-Sam

Here are my Top 10 Disc Golf Cities in America:

1. Charlotte, NC
2. Cincinnati, OH
3. Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN
4. Des Moines, IA
5. St. Louis, MO
6. Austin, TX
7. Madison, WI
8. Raleigh, NC
9. San Francisco, CA
10. Grand Rapids, MI
Honorable Mention for Beauty: Boulder/Denver, CO

I didn't want to clutter the thread with explanations, but if you want to read them or tell me why I'm wrong, you can see them here: http://lifelongdiscgolf.com/top-10-disc-golf-cities-in-america/. I've only been to 5 out of the 11, unfortunately, but that's the order I would rank them if I were taking a trip.:D

Top Disc Golf cities, interesting..... Here are my top three.

1. Bowling Green, KY
9 courses, the gem being Kereiakes

2. Louisville, KY
I love Iroquois, Freeman Lake and Radcliff DGC

3. Nashville, TN
Sanders Ferry and Crockett Park are both very nice and Seven Oaks and Cedar Hill are both good courses too though I don't especially like them.

BGKY or Cincinnati

Cincinnati is a great choice. Be sure to hit Idlewild in Burlington, KY, just accross the Ohio River. I live in Dayton, OH, and there are a TON of courses in the greater Cincinnati area, over 20.

I also just got back from a road trip to Bowling Green, KY. A great place to play. Lots of top notch courses within a few miles of each other. Cheap places to camp too. Definately would go back in a second.

My next trip (next year) will be to Charolette, NC.

I just got back from my roadtrip with my brother, and have to say that I would move Allentown, PA, up the list of best places to go. I've played disc golf in more than 20 different states, and I think Allentown is at least the equal of Charlotte for exceptional courses and variety, and Charlotte was my previous favorite.

Within 40 miles of Allentown are ~30 courses, but several of these are of exceptional quality -- courses that in their own right would each be the crown jewel of most other area disc golf scenes -- Jordan Creek, Little Lehigh Parkway, Tyler State Park and Nockamixon. Runners up on the list of courses to play include Tinicum, Hackett's Park, Hickory Run and Francis E. Walter Dam. Those eight courses should keep you busy for a week, since you'll want to play each of them through more than once. If you finish with those, you can start in on the other courses...

I've played most of those courses one or two rounds each now, and can't wait for a long weekend to go back and take another stab at them.

Lance,

Did you make your trip yet? I'm curious to know what you decided.

i would take a trip to Kensington Tobaggon (not sure how to spell) it is a few hours from where i currently live. that is my dream course to play

Oregon. Too many great courses and Micro-breweries to visit. There are disc golf courses in almost every town along the I-5 and after the round you can quench your thirst at the town local brew-pub. That's how my vacation went... 9 courses 8 breweries 3 days.
DSCJNKY