• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were pretty damn low energy by the time we got to 15 and 16 White.

15 seemed to have a really awkward right hand turn after a short tunnel shot...definitely didn't see a good landing zone, but then again I suck so who knows what top players can do there. ;)

16 was awesome.

You're thinking of the wrong hole, 15 and 16 were the ones out in the picnic area. 15 is downhill with the pin tucked off to the left, 16 tees off down by the lake and goes back uphill with some small trees along the left side toward the basket. Neither was terribly exciting, but I didn't think they were all that bad, I didn't like how close together those two fairways are.

Yeah but with the longer arms you'll see at worlds I think it's probably reachable going around those little trees.

You're thinking of the wrong hole, 15 and 16 were the ones out in the picnic area. 15 is downhill with the pin tucked off to the left, 16 tees off down by the lake and goes back uphill with some small trees along the left side toward the basket. Neither was terribly exciting, but I didn't think they were all that bad, I didn't like how close together those two fairways are.

You are correct, sir. Sun addled my brain. ;)

Update from RLAPD

Anne has her staff working on clearing some of the last of the trees from the last time Chuck was here and we need to clear the stumps that are in all of the new wooded areas. I can't really give a time line yet, but we are hoping to start pouring the "T" boxes in August during the driest time of the year. The first area of new "T" boxes would be getting the ones done in the open area since we will need to rent buggies to transport the concrete to the wooded areas from the trucks. The hardest part we are having trouble with is all of the signage for the site. There are a lot of signs for the two courses and the site in general with the bike trail on the site and everything else we need to do in that area.

Eh, Round Lake was fine without signs up til now! ;)

Can't wait til this is done!

By signs they mean they're getting fancy stencils to paint the numbers on trash cans. :|

I do not blame the Round Lake Park district one bit for the lack of tee signs or the tee pads. The individuals involved with getting many of the courses initially installed in the area are to blame. They did a good job of getting courses installed but did a terrible job of making tee pads and tee signs a priority. They sold the park districts on the fact that is was cheap and all they had to do is throw the baskets in the ground. If you take a look at the initial courses in the area that's the case for all of them. Round Lake, Crystal Lake. Streamwood, Highland Park, & Buffalo Grove. As time has gone on they've all started to address the problems.

I do not blame the Round Lake Park district one bit for the lack of tee signs or the tee pads. The individuals involved with getting many of the courses initially installed in the area are to blame. They did a good job of getting courses installed but did a terrible job of making tee pads and tee signs a priority. They sold the park districts on the fact that is was cheap and all they had to do is throw the baskets in the ground. If you take a look at the initial courses in the area that's the case for all of them. Round Lake, Crystal Lake. Streamwood, Highland Park, & Buffalo Grove. As time has gone on they've all started to address the problems.
When it went in, the only time Fairfield was a problem was when it snowed and you had to play it from memory. :p When it snowed there was no one out there so we could safari it when we forgot. That was probably more fun anyway.

When I got to Chicago the tee situation was no different than St. Louis where I came from. We put in courses and threw off dirt. Concrete tees came much, much later. The priority in the 90's was baskets to throw at. Nobody really expected concrete tees back then; they were a luxury. We were cheap disc golfers, so we were used to not having the luxuries. Times have changed.

Fairfield was weird in that there were no signs but all you had to do was follow the mowed path so it was impossible to get lost. It didn't bother me as much as Shady Oaks. Shady Oaks was (is?) a swamp so the tees were mud all the time. After having Sioux Passage as my home course, playing Shady Oaks all the time almost made me sad enough to cry. I still loath that swampy misquote-infested place. Fairfield with all the wide open shots made me laugh more than anything.

So I don't think there really is anyone to blame. It was what it was. Times have changed and the course is now improving and will get caught up with the changes. It's all good.

three putt said:
...misquote-infested place....

yeah no one gets their quotes right in a swamp... prob all them pesky mosquitoes biting constantly :rolleyes:

:p pfft

When it went in, the only time Fairfield was a problem was when it snowed and you had to play it from memory. :p When it snowed there was no one out there so we could safari it when we forgot. That was probably more fun anyway.

When I got to Chicago the tee situation was no different than St. Louis where I came from. We put in courses and threw off dirt. Concrete tees came much, much later. The priority in the 90's was baskets to throw at. Nobody really expected concrete tees back then; they were a luxury. We were cheap disc golfers, so we were used to not having the luxuries. Times have changed.

Fairfield was weird in that there were no signs but all you had to do was follow the mowed path so it was impossible to get lost. It didn't bother me as much as Shady Oaks. Shady Oaks was (is?) a swamp so the tees were mud all the time. After having Sioux Passage as my home course, playing Shady Oaks all the time almost made me sad enough to cry. I still loath that swampy misquote-infested place. Fairfield with all the wide open shots made me laugh more than anything.

So I don't think there really is anyone to blame. It was what it was. Times have changed and the course is now improving and will get caught up with the changes. It's all good.

Shady Oaks got concrete pads and many new pin placements in the past 2 years. No more swampy tees. The local club is very involved in maintaining and improving the course.

Shady Oaks got concrete pads and many new pin placements in the past 2 years. No more swampy tees. The local club is very involved in maintaining and improving the course.

ya shady oaks has had alot of work done and is really a nice course now. and not just new pin placements, but redesigned holes on a few. and even with the swamp land around, the bugs are surprisingly not bad right now.

but ya 3putt you are definitely right, when i first started playing a course with concrete teepads was not only a luxury but a rarity. and no one cared what they teepads were back then, there was a course AWESOME! thats about what our attitudes were.

yeah no one gets their quotes right in a swamp... prob all them pesky mosquitoes biting constantly :rolleyes:

:p pfft
*bans Noill*

Anyone else want to bitch about hastily typed posts where I hit "submit" when I hear my boss approaching?

I went back to Shady Oaks after it got tees and new baskets. No doubt there are people putting in a strong effort there. No disrespect meant to them. The place still makes me sad. Nothing will erase that overwhelming sadness that came over me when I realized I had traded away weekends at Sioux Passage and Jefferson Barracks for bug spray-coated rounds at Shady Oaks. That and the memory of the flash flood that came up that one day when it started raining really hard that made me run for my life. :\

Whatever, I just hate the place. My hang up totally. Carry on.

Sure!

When you said 'loath', you meant 'loathe'. Loath means reluctant, loathe means despise.

:eek: :eek:

*takes advantage of Mashy moving to Cali and GDBP being banned by 3Putt who must be on the rag is a really nice guy and great father* :|

*flexes mid-west Diamond TR status muscle*

:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts