• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illinois/ Iowa Aug 5-14

kevdiv48

* Ace Member *
Silver level trusted reviewer
Making a midwest trip in early-mid Aug for a wedding and to visit family. Will have a significant amount of time slated for DG. Goal is to hit up both new and old courses over the time I'm in the area.
I plan on playing solo but would be pumped to meet up with DGCR'ers at any point along the way. Hit me up if you're local to any and playing the same time as me!

Here is my approximate itinerary:

Fri 8/5: drive from St. Charles, IL to Moline IL. Play Sinnissippi en route. Play Quad Cities course or two in the afternoon/ early evening (Middle Park/ Prospect/ Eastern Ave/ Devil's Glen).

Sat 8/6: wedding. no DG

Sun 8/7: hungover from wedding, head from Moline to Peoria. Play Richmond Hill Park, Baker Hill, Wildlife Prairie on the way.

Mon 8/8:Full day in Peoria. Bradley, Eureka Perm, Eureka Temp, McNaughton, Sunset Hills (at end of day to finish day with beers and food at Mashies in clubhouse).

Tues 8/9:Full day in Peoria. Northwood Blue & Black, Megiddo, Kennel Lake

Weds 8/10: Head from Peoria back to St. Charles. ICC, Washington, Maxwell, Community Park, Shorewood, West Park

Thurs 8/11: Canyons, Highland Park, Round Barn, The Oaks

Fri 8/12: Links at Wheeler Park, Manville Oaks, Jericho

Sat 8/13: Eagle Ridge, Knoch Knolls

Sun 8/14: Rolling Knolls, Walnut Hollow, Fell Pro, Fairfield

New courses (9): Devil's Glen, Richmond Hill, Baker Park, Eureka Temp, Northwood Black, Maxwell Gold, new West Park, Round Barn, Fell Pro

Not sure if you've played either Nims or Joshua Park over by Sinissippi but they're both 18 and probably the two shortest 18 hole courses I've ever played. Literally 30 minutes apiece to play.

Fun fact: I've been to Davenport twice now, mainly to play Camden II. Got stormed out both times. I won't be anywhere near there for your trip so the weather over there should be amazing. :|

I played Sinnissippi regularly 2012-2015 when traveling between IL and IA for college, not once did I stop at either of those 18 holers. The poor reviews there and my love of Sinnissippi kept me away haha.

^We always treated Nims as a warmup for Sinnissippi. Quirky little course. Like Wolf says, it's a super quick round, so it's probably worth experiencing at least once.

Let me know what you think of Fel-Pro's new layout.

In my opinion, I think it's one of the best Chicago area 18ers right behind The Canyons, Fairfield and Highland Park.

This might be a bad time of the year to play Walnut Hollow as there are a lot of corn fields and high rough during the summer because it's mostly a golf-style DG course.

Shorewood and West Park are old school courses so you'll probably only need a putter and mid-range but both are fun as hell and are big confidence boosters. Rolling Knolls is another underrated really good 18er.

I am excited to check out Fel-Pro, I have relatives in Crystal Lake and Cary (my grandparents' neighborhood borders Walnut Hallow, sweet course but a disc swallower for sure).

Shorewood was a fun old school course and I've yet to play new layout West Park. Easy enough to knock both out when in the area.

I really enjoyed Rolling Knolls the one time I played, look forward to going back.

^2nd!! Love Camden II

Be prepared, Northwood Black is really long with plenty of elevation. That's an ambitious day you've got planned out for 8/9. More power to you. Just want to make sure you know what you're in for.

Revised itinerary based on travel changes (will be attending a work training in Kalamazoo):

Fri Aug 5
5:40-8:05 HOU to MDW
9:00-11:00 drive from MDW to Normal
11-12:30 maxwell
1-2:30 Northwood Blue
2:45-5:00 Northwood Black
5:15-7:00 Megiddo
stay night in Peoria
Sat Aug 6
7-8:30 run

10:00-11:30 drive from peoria to wedding
1:00-11:00 wedding
Sun Aug 7
9:30-10:30 drive from moline to geneseo
10:30-12:00 Richmond Hill Park
1:00-2:30 Baker Park
3:30-5:30 Wildlife
stay night in Peoria

Mon Aug 8 Peoria all day
7:30-8:45 Bradley
9:30-11:00 Eureka Perm
11:15-1:30 Eureka Temp
2:30-4:30 McNaughton
5:00-6:45 Sunset Hills
stay night in Peoria

Tues Aug 9
7-8:30 Kennel Lake
8:30-10:30 drive to chicago area
10:30-11:30 West Park
12-2:00 Canyons
2:30-4:30 50 acre park
5:30-6 trade cars at MDW
6-9pm MDW to KmZoo

Fri Aug 12 & Sun Aug 14 are mostly open for Chicago area courses, haven't built a full schedule for that yet.

I am originally from Peoria. I would skip Kennel Lake and play McNaughton. If you want a shorter easier course, then play the original Eureka course. Wildlife Prairie Park is awesome when maintained e.g. before or right after a big tournament. But has cost to play and if not maintained is full of bugs and bull nettles.

Latest posts