• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mass/NH/Vermont - 2018 Worlds Trip

toddnick

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Here is my initial plan for a week of NE disc golf and seeing Worlds. Any input from those in the know would be appreciated; anything that you would tweak. Note that I chose Borderlands over Pyramids, a little further away from base camp but seems like a more interesting course. Felt like 501 and Maple Hill were must plays. Selected Tully Lake and Otter Brook as options on my drive from Worcester area to Killington.

I'll be heading out from Buffalo, NY.

SAT 9/1 - Drive to Wells State Park (Camp at Wells, Massachusetts)

SUN 9/2 - Golf Maple Hill, Golf 501 (Camp at Wells, Massachusetts)

MON 9/3 - Golf Borderlands, Golf Borderlands (Camp at Wells, Massachusetts)

TUE 9/4 - Golf Maple Hill, Golf 501 (Camp at Wells, Massachusetts)

WED 9/5 - Golf Tully Lake, Golf Otter Brook (Lean-To at Gifford Woods State Park, Vermont)

THU 9/6 - Golf Center Chains (Lean-To at Smuggler's Notch State Park, Vermont)

FRI 9/7 - Watch Round 3 of Worlds (Lean-To at Smuggler's Notch State Park, Vermont)

SAT 9/8 - Watch Round 4 of Worlds (Lean-To at Smuggler's Notch State Park, Vermont)

SUN 9/9 - Watch Round 5 of Worlds (Lean-To at Smuggler's Notch State Park, Vermont)

MON 9/10 - Drive Home

Take a stop through the Albany area if you have any time. Joroloman Park(probably a little out of your way though) is definitely worth the time to play. Minekill state park is a very long layout, but very challenging. Hyzer Creek and Central Park Schenectady are also fun courses.

Those courses are a bit out of the way but I have played Hyzer Creek before and it is a great course.

I've never played any of the courses on my agenda (though I have played the Smuggler's Notch courses where they are playing World's).

Thanks for the input.

It really wouldn't add much to my trip on Saturday to stop at Joraleman, we'll see how tired I am after the first 5 hours of driving.

I'll definitely stop at BT's; looks like great BBQ.

When going to BT either go at little off times or order online if you go at regular dinner hours just be prepared to wait in line for a bit. Totally worth the wait but just so you're aware.

Borderland on Labor Day...that place will be swamped. Granted it's an awesome course and was my home course when I lived up there, but you'll need to get there early if you want to play two. Dacey Fields in Franklin is also a nice course, and is just off 495, perfect for your trip back to camp should you decide one at Borderland is enough.

I'm an early morning guy; so no problem in hitting Borderland at daybreak to beat the crowds.

Dacey Fields sounds like a nice second round if it is too crazy with people at Borderlands after the first round.

Maybe because I play them all the time, but if I were you I would play Maple and perhaps another couple of courses and then head to southern Maine before hitting VT. The courses on southern Maine in that Portland/Lewiston to Augusta corridor are where some of the best golf is right now.

Maple Hill -- Top notch
Pyramids -- meh. Okay and of course MsT is the best but the course is only ok
501 -- same designer as Pyramids. Many holes feel the same. Ok but has much more potential.
Devens -- the Hill and the General all both great NE golf. General is tough but fun.
Borderlands -- most played course for me. Good and many combos of layouts but crowded and not really the most exciting golf.
Dacey -- t-pads on all holes now. Great golf shots. Tree maintenance much improved.

But if I were you I would hit up Maple/501 and then stop at Devens and then up to Maine perhaps stopping at the Hollows in Manchester on the way. Then there are so many great courses up there that aren't Sabbatus.

Borderlands long to long is a damn fun round. Agreed on the "getting there early" thing, though. I played on 90 degree Wednesday, got there before 8am, and by the time I left there was a nearly full parking lot.