• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A very Bogey X-mas...

BogeyNoMore

* Ace No More *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Every couple of years, I take the week between X-mas & New Year's to play my way down to So Fla to visit my family... and back. Here's what this holiday season looks like:

Day 1, Sat, Dec 23: Carrollton, GA Hobbs Farm; Griffin, GA Tyus
Day 2, Sun, Dec 24: Orlando, FL Bill Frederick Park (I hope to finish all 3 courses there).
Day 3, Mon, Dec, 25: Hialeah, FL Amelia Earhart (I know it's nothing special, but it's the closest course to Mom's house).
Day 4, Tue, Dec 26: Miami, Family & Friends
Day 5, Wed, Dec 27: Ft Lauderdale, Family & Friends (might replay a Broward County course)
Day 6, Thu, Dec 28: Palm Bay
Day 7, Fri: Dec 29: Jacksonville, FL New World DGC
Day 8, Sat, Dec 30: Burnettown, SC Langley Pond
Day 9, Sun, Dec 31: Fall Branch, TN Harmon Hills
Day 10, Mon: Jan 1: I'll be waking up between Idlewild & Lincoln Ridge... 15 min to either course.

Considering Richmond Hill in the morning before Harmon Hills. But Harmon's 27 holes, with rolling hills.... I'm thinking I might enjoy Harmon more if I don't try to squeeze another course in that day. :\
Might depend on what time I wake up and how I feel... Richmond looks pretty good.

I'm undecided about NY Day ...already played Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge. The bagger in me wants to play something new, but it doesn't look like there's anything relatively close to I-75 worth skipping those for. What a dilemma, right?! :D Recently played Mt Airy a 2nd time, and already played Osage Grove.

Would like to hear from people who've played Harmon; how much time should it take, and how physically demanding it is?

Last edited:
Harmon is a hike with the up and down hills. I was exhausted but it was hot when I stopped there. I'd skip holes 19-27 and play the original 18 again.

I'm in Cincy almost yearly, Lincoln Ridge is always the most enjoyable to play in that region.

Langley Pond is about 15 minutes from my parent's house; if you want a guide for the course I'd be down to catch a round. I oughta be in town as well for New Year's with my parents.

Also, between Lincoln Ridge and Idlewild, Idlewild wins hands down (I spent this summer interning in Cincy). Don't get me wrong, Lincoln Ridge has some good throws, but there's just something about Idlewild that's special. Plus there's discatchers now, which is even more fun.

Leaving from work, Fri. Get's dark early, so who wants to play a new course on the dark? I'd rather drive in the dark, play in the day.

Plus, the courses further north are more accessible to me, and I'd rather focus on hitting the truly destinatin worthy courses in the south. I should be able to hit 4 courses rated above 4.5 , and another two or 3 above 4.0 ... all of which are among the highest rated in their states, (or the country, for that matter). That's some quality DG.

If you're looking for something new semi-close to Cincy near 75, Sycamore Trails in Dayton is not my favorite course, but it's probably the next highest rated course you haven't played. If you want fun, Englewood MetroPark is just that. If you want ace run city that still manages to be super fun and somewhat challenging, the two Twin Creeks in Germantown is great. It also affords you the chance to play 45 holes in the same time it takes to play Idlewild and has a wonderful "back" 9 on the black course that will give you some distance. It also gives you two new courses played...not that that is important by any means.

That said, Idle does have new baskets from when you were here last, and, as Russell said, Osage Grove now has concrete tees. Two on each hole. The course has also evolved very nicely from when you were in town last so you won't feel like it's a total repeat.

How close are you wanting to stick to Cincinnati? There's some good courses an hour north, in Dayton, might be worth looking at.

Richmond hill is my home course and i love it. I love Harmon more. Great course to end the year on.

Have you played Orangebrook in Hollywood yet? It's on a golf course...that week might be slammed as far as ball golfers but you can probably get on the course in the afternoon. Most of our courses are back to normal since Irma but Heritage in Plantation is still closed as of today. Okeeheelee or Commons are worth the drive if you're already starting to head north, they are in West Palm.

Thanks for all the responses!
Harmon is a hike with the up and down hills. I was exhausted but it was hot when I stopped there. I'd skip holes 19-27 and play the original 18 again.
That's kinda what I'm thinking. May not be hot, but 27 holes worth of hilly (and hopefully epic) disc golf might be all my 52 yr old legs can handle. Don't want to ruin that by playing a course earlier. I hear what you said about skipping the last 9 and replaying the middle 9, but I don't know if I'll ever get out there again... at least want to play all the holes. If I'm not wiped and it's laid out in 9 hole loops, maybe I'll replay 10-18 (in lieu of playing a 2nd course).

Langley Pond is about 15 minutes from my parent's house; if you want a guide for the course I'd be down to catch a round. I oughta be in town as well for New Year's with my parents.
Might take you up on that. :)

If you're looking for something new semi-close to Cincy near 75, Sycamore Trails in Dayton is not my favorite course, but it's probably the next highest rated course you haven't played. If you want fun, Englewood MetroPark is just that. If you want ace run city that still manages to be super fun and somewhat challenging, the two Twin Creeks in Germantown is great. It also affords you the chance to play 45 holes in the same time it takes to play Idlewild and has a wonderful "back" 9 on the black course that will give you some distance. It also gives you two new courses played...not that that is important by any means.

That said, Idle does have new baskets from when you were here last, and, as Russell said, Osage Grove now has concrete tees. Two on each hole. The course has also evolved very nicely from when you were in town last so you won't feel like it's a total repeat.
Thanks Teebird... will definitely consider those possibilities.

Have you played Orangebrook in Hollywood yet? It's on a golf course...that week might be slammed as far as ball golfers but you can probably get on the course in the afternoon. Most of our courses are back to normal since Irma but Heritage in Plantation is still closed as of today. Okeeheelee or Commons are worth the drive if you're already starting to head north, they are in West Palm.

I might get out to Orangebook on the way from Miami to Ft. Laud... depends on what I'm doing with my family. Already played Okeeheelee and Commons; both solid, but not worth replaying instead of a new course.

Any volunteers to guide me at Harmon Hills?

For a mountain course, Richmond Hills isn't that taxing. It's a ton of valley shots so while you're going up and down a lot, you don't throw up the hill a lot unless you drop mid fairway into the valley. It's certainly not the hike that Ashe Co. is.

The tertiary nine @ Harmon is the only real strenuous stretch. The first 18 are pretty hilly but it's not that bad (would be a lot worse in the heat and humidity with all the field holes). It takes a good while to play though to navigate and there are some spots that can hide a disc (thick rough, sinkholes, etc).

If I were you, I'd scoot up to Harmon first and depending on how you feel/time, play Sugar Hollow in Bristol instead. It's arguably as good as Richmond and certainly going to be less crowded. Not as scenic as Richmond maybe but still fairly pretty and not as taxing.

Thanks for your insight BroD! Sugar Hollow wasn't on my radar, but might fill the bill nicely, given that it's only 30-40 min from Harmon.

If you're gonna be in Cincy on New years day, how bout hitting the Winton Woods New Years Day tourney? Cheap unsanctioned event run by the local club. One of the funner events of the year, on a small somewhat wooded ace run course, originally designed by Steady Ed. If you like playing on courses once used at a world's, it does have that going for it also.

ALso, if you're wanting to play Osage, it's not really that much farther to drive around to that side of the 275 loop than it is to drive straight up thru the city. Maybe an extra 20 min of just the highway and another 20-30 to get to the course and back from the highway.

Revisions:

I like Dave's suggestion of Sugar Hollow... and quite frankly, I trust the man.

Sun 31st: Harmon in the morning, grab a bite to eat.... and if I still have legs: Sugar Hollow in the afternoon.

Mon 1st: I'm thinking Monroe Community... seems to be a very solid course considered to be very good by many people whos opinions I trust. I also like Tee bird's suggestion of Englewood for a fun round afterward.

Brutus: Thanks for the heads up about the tourney at Winton Woods. Even if it's unsanctioned, I'm probably not going to be in the mood for playing at a tourney pace. When I'm in bagging mode, about the only thing I like to slow down for are courses that are so nice, they kinda demand it.

My rationale for not replaying Idlewild, Osage, or Lincoln Ridge: My son hasn't played them, and Cincy's not that far. There's a very good chance we'll do a Cincy trip and hit all those + Mt Airy again. I think it's more a matter of when we'll do it, rather than if.

Thanks everyone or your insight and suggestions!

Monroe can feel really repetitive but has its moments. Having played both several times, I'd drive to Englewood personally because it's more fun (at that rating fun is top priority for me). Either way you choose, I could probably meet you for another round if you're interested.

I just played the three at Bill Frederick a couple weeks ago. The Woods is a somewhat odd course, but still fun. The original course is a very good park course. T2 (Turkeynator) is awesome. Play the blues.

Your going to Love Hobbs.

I don't get down there much, but it's great!

Latest posts