• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm all alone!

jeremyhilss

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I live in an area where it seems nobody plays disc much at all. My local course is a ski hill course that I set up every year when the snow melts, and in my opinion is quite fun.

I have a couple friends that play once or twice every couple weeks or so, and occasionally I'll see some community college students playing. But I feel I'm the only one around who plays regulary and takes the game seriously. The closest course full of serious players is Highbridge, which is about 30 miles away, which isnt bad, but I still cant make it out there all the time.

Anybody else out there in a similar situation? Does anyone have any tips about getting people into the game?

I personally would love to live within an hour of Highbridge.

When I first moved into the subdivision that I'm in now, I got a cooler of beer and a couple lawn chairs and sat by my mailbox one Saturday afternoon. Worked like a charm.

If there is literally no one else around that plays, then you are sort of screwed. If it were me, I'd try talking to anyone I saw out playing (as non creepily as possible) or do a better job talking up disc to friends and family. If that doesn't work, then the only option left is for you to go where other golfers are, even if it means driving.

I'm 30 miles from a course. I find that's sufficiently close. I just don't play many rounds. I do lots of field work during the week, and usually get a round in with people once or twice on the weekends.

I would love to play more. Just that situations have made it difficult to play with serious players, like you jetremyhilss. I find playing with a more experienced players than myself helps my game infinitefold.

Before I get flamed, just kidding! You enjoy one of the highest course per capita rates in the country, so there's gotta be someone around for you to play a round with. :)

I understand your situation. It's not that popular here in NC and not many courses to play.

Not really sure this sentence can be true in the state of Wisconsin.

In terms of living in Wisconsin, I'm in the one little exception I believe. Hurley is a town of about 1,500, and it borders the UP of Michigan, which if you've been here know it's quite isolated (but beautiful). I know I'm truly blessed to be able to drive to Highbridge in about 45 minutes (stupid speed limits around here), but I'm just wishing there were a few people that would be interested in regular league play or something, or someone who is an addict to the sport like me.

I put up some flyers advertising the course around town and at the local Dunham's Sports last year, plan on doing it again this year. I would also love to do a small tournament or something, not too official but just for fun and exposure for the sport.

It only sucks cause I have never been able to play one league or organized event at all since I've started playing DG.

In terms of living in Wisconsin, I'm in the one little exception I believe. Hurley is a town of about 1,500, and it borders the UP of Michigan, which if you've been here know it's quite isolated (but beautiful). I know I'm truly blessed to be able to drive to Highbridge in about 45 minutes (stupid speed limits around here), but I'm just wishing there were a few people that would be interested in regular league play or something, or someone who is an addict to the sport like me.

I put up some flyers advertising the course around town and at the local Dunham's Sports last year, plan on doing it again this year. I would also love to do a small tournament or something, not too official but just for fun and exposure for the sport.

It only sucks cause I have never been able to play one league or organized event at all since I've started playing DG.

If you have vacation time, come spend a week in Superior/Duluth. Camp at Mont du Lac and play leagues with us Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday.
Even better, try to plan it out to be here during a tournament weekend as well.

If you do have a tournament, post it to the Duluth Disc Golf Facebook page. I can't guarantee you will get a lot of people coming over, but we appreciate woods and ski hill disc golf.

Thats a good idea. Ive been wanting to go to Duluth or Wausau for leagues but my schedule makes it difficult.

There will be an event at The Tailings on June 13th. Wish I had the flyer right in front of me. Hurley to Iron River, MI can't be too far is it?

I personally would love to live within an hour of Highbridge.
What he said. Living with an hour's drive of Highbridge and Sandy Point, you're not gonna get much sympathy from this crowd. Some of us would be willing to sell organs to be able to play courses like those on a regular basis.

You may have to travel a bit further than some, perhaps not as fars as others, but you're fairly close to a wealth of high quality courses... the kind some of us take vacations to play.

Last edited:

Latest posts