• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm old and I throw...

Sounds like we need to start a 50 Something Postal league. Well it works for pistol matches but don't know how we could make it work for Disc Golf.

I am 41. Not terribly old, but no spring chicken. I have degenerative discs in my back and a hurniated l-5..... Some days I can't even walk due to bad back, but I love playing disc golf and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I throw lighter and under stable for the most part. My favorite disc is prob my 180 kc roc that's in a dead straight happy place right now. I also bag a wraith, but it's a star light 150 g. . I recently started throwing my 168 dx tee bird again and loving it also. Another disc I am starting to like is the Viking.

I am 41. Not terribly old, but no spring chicken. I have degenerative discs in my back and a hurniated l-5..... Some days I can't even walk due to bad back, but I love playing disc golf and don't plan on stopping any time soon. I throw lighter and under stable for the most part. My favorite disc is prob my 180 kc roc that's in a dead straight happy place right now. I also bag a wraith, but it's a star light 150 g. . I recently started throwing my 168 dx tee bird again and loving it also. Another disc I am starting to like is the Viking.

Doh! Sorry to hear about the back trouble, Bank!

Glad to hear it isn't keeping you of the course though!

That 180g KC Roc is pretty bad ass, isn't it!? I love mine and it's getting all beat to hell cuz I keep trying to thread through trees. Such a tank!

I turned 50 last year and since then I have won 25 PDGA events in either Pro Masters or Pro GM. Do you know what that means? It means old guys don't like me and i'll probably start playing more Open events so the kids can make fun of me. Last weekend when I played open I was one stroke off the lead after the 1st round and faded to last cash. It's time to step it up a notch. Getting old is not a death sentence, it is an opportunity to share your experiences with the younger generation.

I turned 50 last year and since then I have won 25 PDGA events in either Pro Masters or Pro GM. Do you know what that means? It means old guys don't like me and i'll probably start playing more Open events so the kids can make fun of me. Last weekend when I played open I was one stroke off the lead after the 1st round and faded to last cash. It's time to step it up a notch. Getting old is not a death sentence, it is an opportunity to share your experiences with the younger generation.

So you're telling me there's a chance... ? :)

Love that last sentence... "Getting old is not a death sentence, it's an opportunity to share your experience with the younger generation."

I'm gonna write that one down!

Thanks, Chrishysell!

At least I feel old whenever I'm out on the course!

Anyway... Looking forward to getting in on some of the conversations.

My home course is Elm Creek Park Reserve in Maple Grove, MN.

My bag consists of the following:

174 Wraith
180 KC Roc
180 Ti Buzzz
173 Buzzz SS
174 Champ Tee Bird
175 KC Aviar

There's no rhyme or reason to any of the discs in my bag... I just like the way they fly. :D

Any question, feel free to ask!
Yes! I'm always looking for suggestions... What are your thoughts? I'd love to hear! :)
Seems to me you have a decent range of mids from understable (Buzzz SS) to moderately overstable (Roc), and that Ti Buzz should fit in between (depending on condition)...it's possible a beat Roc will fly with less high speed stability than a fresh Ti Buzzz, but either way, you should have a loto of situations well covered with those 3 discs.

I don't know what your Tee Bird is doing for you, but it's a somewhat overstable mold (particularly in Champ plastic), so you might want to supplement it with something with less stabilitity that easier to turnover (like an Xpress or Leopard).

And unless you're really cranking them 400+ ft down the fairway, the Wraith is a fairly overstable mold as well. If there's no way you can turn it over, you might want to supplement it with a lower stability mold as well, such as a Sidewinder or Avenger SS.

The above possibilities are subject to condition of the discs and how you throw. I'm just making some basic recommendations to round out your bag to cover some shots you may have trouble covering with that set up (then agian, you may be adjusting your shots pretty well, so that you can actually throw that TeeBird and Wraith and get them to go left, right or straight as needed. Just learning to throw those discs both FH and BH can help cover those slots pretty well.

You might find Marshall Street's Flight Guide easy to use in terms of finding something of similar speed that's more or less stable than a given disc.

Just my $.02 worth.

Seems to me you have a decent range of mids from understable (Buzzz SS) to moderately overstable (Roc), and that Ti Buzz should fit in between (depending on condition)...it's possible a beat Roc will fly with less high speed stability than a fresh Ti Buzzz, but either way, you should have a loto of situations well covered with those 3 discs.

I don't know what your Tee Bird is doing for you, but it's a somewhat overstable mold (particularly in Champ plastic), so you might want to supplement it with something with less stabilitity that easier to turnover (like an Xpress or Leopard).

And unless you're really cranking them 400+ ft down the fairway, the Wraith is a fairly overstable mold as well. If there's no way you can turn it over, you might want to supplement it with a lower stability mold as well, such as a Sidewinder or Avenger SS.

The above possibilities are subject to condition of the discs and how you throw. I'm just making some basic recommendations to round out your bag to cover some shots you may have trouble covering with that set up (then agian, you may be adjusting your shots pretty well, so that you can actually throw that TeeBird and Wraith and get them to go left, right or straight as needed. Just learning to throw those discs both FH and BH can help cover those slots pretty well.

You might find Marshall Street's Flight Guide easy to use in terms of finding something of similar speed that's more or less stable than a given disc.

Just my $.02 worth.

This is awesome advice! Thanks, Bogey!

You have me pegged with the TBird. I rarely reach for it unless i'm dropping Hyzer that I need to turn hard... other than that, it doesn't play much. I'll look into your recommendations there. I really appreciate it.

The wraith I'm using is a DX, so I can get it to turn over some, but not as much as I need. Funny thing is, I asked at my local DG store for an under-stable driver and that's what he recommended. :wall:

As far as distance is concerned... I'm inconsistent at this point. I've thrown the Wraith over 400 once. I throw it consistently about 330-360, and every time I throw it I'm surprised at what it does. But I guess I'll learn more and my consistency will increase as I gain more experience.

Either way. I'll be sure to pick up some of the molds you mentioned and give em a shot.

Thanks again!

Bunch of youngins.

Welcome to the madness.

I completely agree with those who suggested the Leopard. Especially the 150g Champion Leopard. I've had one in my bag for going on 7 years. And it would b e the disc I would choose for a 1 disc round.

I turned 59 a month ago and have been playing for just under a year. Wish I would have started long ago, but it's exciting to see my progression over the last year. I hope I have another 20 years of DG in me because I love it!!

Yeah old guys! I'm 51 and love my 150 champ t bird. Was listening to some 20 somethings while looking at the scorecards at a tourney a few years ago and one of them said to another, "Masters doesn't mean they're good, it just means they're old".

I turned 64 (cue the Beatles) last week. Most of my drivers are 150-165.... Like the mids to be heavier. I received an MVP Inertia 155 for my birthday and I love it....with my arm it's straight as can be with long glide and just a bit of fade at the end. Pre flight #'s champ Leo and a Starlight Valk are in heavy rotation right now.

The OP's bag looks "normal", but I'd add at least 1 really over stable driver (so he can fight a BIG headwind). And no a Wraith is not REALLY OS. In addition, that's assuming he throws predominantly bh. If he also flicks, he DEFINITELY needs something(s) more OS. And don't even get me started talking about overhands ;) !

Word to the wise - stay flexible! At our age, it not so much a case of we can't do it because we're "old", it's we can't do it because we hurt ourselves and heal so blasted slowly.

Karl

49 here.
if you like your wraith, you might check out the valkyrie. my daughter got me a 175g champ valk for
my birthday a month ago, and it's become my " go to " disc. FH or BH , it's a straight shooter w/ a mellow fade.
i picked up a 150g starlite roadrunner for low wind hyzer flip shots.
my son in-law and his " 20something " yr old friends were having WAY too much fun with this....
" LOOK OUT, old guy on the tee with a kids disc " i just smiled and ripped a 375' straight as an arrow
flip parked 10' from the basket. for paybacks: ( wouldn't do this w/ any other group ) i walked on ahead to my truck in the parking lot near this basket... when they finally came out of the 20' ditch w/ hip high brush... i was in my lawn chair in the shade drinking a beer... yelling " hey, let me know when it's my turn to putt"

I'm almost 50 and just started playing a couple years ago. It's a great lifetime sport!

One thing I've learned is to try different plastics to see how they work for you. My releases were pretty inconsistent until I found Vibram rubber discs. For me, the grip is just right and comfortable to throw. Now that my bag is all Vibram my releases are much more consistent and I don't wonder what the discs will do.

I'm not saying that you have to change brands. I'm just suggesting that you try some different blends of plastic/rubber to see what feels the best for you. Find your happy place.

Have fun flinging!

I'm turning 40 this year and no Spring chicken myself. All the guys I throw with have barely gotten out of their 20's with the exception of Cyclops who's in his 50's. I'm in decent shape, a little extra around the middle but in the process of trying to lose that so I can enjoy playing like I still have my youth. I have some hip problems due to wrestling in high school and college and a bum knee from the same. But I still fight the good fight and refuse to stop playing. It's too much fun and I enjoy the constant beating I get from those damn pesky trees. As of now I don't throw anything super light. I think the lightest disc in my bag is 167g Rival. Even though I'm not throwing light weight discs I do like throwing understable discs as I don't have the hip turn to really throw the hard high hyzer like the young guns around me. I throw the following:

174g Judges (3x)
172g Z Zone
180g 8x KC Pro Roc
180g ZD Ontario Roc
175g 10x Replica Glow KC Pro Roc
175g DX Roc
180g Champ Stingray
174g Sentinel
167g Rival
172g Rival
170g GL River
172g SE Banshee
172g 11x Champ Banshee
170g Avenger SS
170g CE Valk
175g ESP Predator
169g DGA Rogue
171g GL Bolt

I max out at 400' on a great rip. Most days I'm right around 365-375'. I tend to still strong arm the disc but there are moments when it all falls together. Then the hip goes out and I'm sidelined for a week or two. Then I have to struggle to get back to where I left off. It's like the more I play the better I get and my distance increases . I get hurt and then have to start from scratch all over again. This getting older stuff is for the birds. I just wish I had learned about this great sport when I was younger. At least I have my two young sons involved and the one really loves to play. Any chance he gets he wants to go throw with daddy. I cal always live vicariously through him as I get older and less physically sound. But in the meantime I'm going to start trying to work out and keep my body as fit as possible.

Bunch of youngins.

Welcome to the madness.

I completely agree with those who suggested the Leopard. Especially the 150g Champion Leopard. I've had one in my bag for going on 7 years. And it would b e the disc I would choose for a 1 disc round.

I am 54 and I agree. If I could only throw one disc, it would be my 150 Champion Leopard.

You may want to try the TeeBird in Starlite plastic in weights under 150 grams. Then you can experience the true beauty of the TeeBird in flight. Keep the stable one for windy play.

I noticed you didn't have anything with some "beefiness" (overstablity). I would recommend you add a Champion Firebird in the bag. It's a great utility disc to have for forehand, thumbers, and shots that require a heathy amount of hyzer. They fly pretty much the same at any weight. Distance drivers can get a little squirrelly in base plastic, so I'd recommend coughing up a few extra bones for a higher grade plastic. You'll find the flight to be more consistent for sure. I agree with others and think a Star or Champion Valkyrie in the mid 160s, or another brands equivalent, would suit you better than the Wraith you have.

I'm 53, old on the outside, like a kid on the inside. I dropped the weight of my discs this year. 150-160g works the best these days. I never try to go more than 300 feet. Location rather than distance works very well for me.

Latest posts