• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm questioning the usefullness of understable discs

No...you smell understable discs. Teebirds will fly stable farther than a Wraith despite the huge difference in rim width. Starfires will fly pure stable farther than a Nuke despite the speed difference. It's just the way they are designed. Of course there are flippy Teebirds and freaky stable Nukes but we're talking in general here...

I say boy, I wasn't responding to your post, I understand speed stable and stability. I'm saying the OP has oat on hyzer.

I say boy, I wasn't responding to your post, I understand speed stable and stability. I'm saying the OP has oat on hyzer.

And several other people who've seen me throw say I don't. Good job.

I have a beat one that flies understable, but my ones in decent shape fly plenty stable.

I don't have the power.A 167 Sidewinder I can throw 300'.Beast is my most overstable disc for a normal drive.Valkyre with wind. Roadrunner,Sidewinder ,Stalker,Beast in that order. I'm sidearm and 52 years old.I look for understable or super staight discs.The highspeed overstable discs crash hard for me.

I'll quote myself. RHFH,no power,167 Sidewinder hangs left longer before breaking right.Hence more distance.Roadrunners hang left forever,which I need for long hard left shots.Overstable highspeed dics crash right as soon as I let go.I do have a groove in my bag for a hard right shot,but I got a Katana For Christmas,But I'ts understable,high speed,I don't know if I can throw it.

the local pro here just pures leopards under all baskets and i think he is now playing for discraft and replaced those with avenger SS. he doesn't throw over 400 but has most of the local records and just makes the disc more stable with extra snap when he needs it.

really hard to make a firebird flippy or finish right. adding a ton of snap makes those discs more stable. and of course he has the power to flip up a destroyer if he wants to but in the woods those other lines aren't always open/free of obstacles.

man, there's a lot of archetype haters in here!

he can throw his voodoo that far because he knows how the disc flies, and he has smooth form. you should be able to throw any disc that far if you have proper form and are comfortable with the disc you are throwing.

The Voodoo, which ArcheType says he can throw 280', is an understable putter. Just sayin'.

I throw my beat to **** wizard 280+ consistently. Just because a putter is understable doesn't make it go less distance. Also, the voodoo really isn't very understable. The stability for gateway would go:

Overstable ---------------Stable------------ Understable
-------------Wizard--------Voodoo----Warlock---Magic

Also, It's nice to have at least 1-2 understable just to power down on. Less power = more accuracy.

Last edited:
I throw my beat to **** wizard 280+ consistently. Just because a putter is understable doesn't make it go less distance. Also, the voodoo really isn't very understable. The stability for gateway would go:

Overstable ---------------Stable------------ Understable
-------------Wizard--------Voodoo----Warlock---Magic

Also, It's nice to have at least 1-2 understable just to power down on. Less power = more accuracy.

Definately more stable than a Magic, and I can get my Magics up to 250-260' in the field, not golf D. I think Mike C told me he could get them about 300', but thats the guy throwing Wizards 350' for what its worth.

man, there's a lot of archetype haters in here!

tumblr_lga7jtJPXE1qa5yvto1_100.jpg

being a lefty, most of my bag is understable to slightly overstable, except my whippets. a lot of courses are designed by righties and they are of course going to put in more left turning fairways. kind of sucks but i guess i could work more on my sidearm technique.

a lot of courses are designed by righties and they are of course going to put in more left turning fairways. kind of sucks

Hey you got the advantage in doubles matches! I have no idea what the actual numbers are when it comes to dividing up doglegs but in my area it's a pretty even split. Always like playing with lefties though. Gives me a chance to see some different approaches to each hole.

I play with archetype all the time and he can throw the voodoo pretty far. He does have smooth form also for the record. Haters gonna hate though. But I don't agree that understable discs aren't necessary though. You always want to have a nice turnover disc like other people have said.

I say boy, I'm not hating(I throw farther), I just don't think he is throwing pure hyzer which is oat. Its not terrible oat, but still oat. The OP doesn't want to listen to constructive criticism, so whatever. I'm just a loud mouthed schnook, what do I know? I mean Jim Myers only throws a Sidewinder 500' and has 5 world distance titles.

I don't think he's claiming that the only thing he can get out of the box understable discs to do is turn and burn, I think he's saying that he's having a difficult time getting a gentle turn out of them. Many find it easier to use OAT to get a more stable disc to turn than it is to get the exact right angle on an understable (aka squirrly) disc to get any one specific line.