• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Importance of Stretching

SpikeHyzer

* Ace Member *
I just wanted to give people a heads up about the importance of stretching and warming up before a round. A friend of mine that does not stretch or warm up before he plays is now down for a few months with two hernias and a slipped disk in his lower back. So...remember...stretch out those muscles before you throw.

Ok...carry on...

I sprained my back about 2 winters ago when I rushed out to play one afternoon. It took about 4 months to fully heal.

What I do now is simply throw at 50-60% for 20 minutes in the 60-200 ft range with drivers, which normally gets my body primed.

stretching is for girls... i never stretch. Then again im naturally athletic and i work out.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately. I've always been super tight - even when I was stretching every day for wrestling. I'm an injury waiting to happen now that colder weather is on its way.

I too, throw short shots to warm up. I'll dump my bag at half strength - stretch a little, then repeat at about 75%, stretch a little, then keep raising it until I'm throwing full strength about 15 minutes later.

I gotta look into Yoga or something though.

I just stretch all the time, when I wake up, at work, and before bed. When you get in as bad of shape as I am you gotta stretch all the time or it's hard to move. People at work look at me weird so I just close my door. Just this year the company officials have put up stretching posters in everyone's office. I think I'm the only one who stretches though. Before I play a round I stretch a little better though.

mzuleger said:
stretching is for girls... i never stretch. Then again im naturally athletic and i work out.

Seriously though. I need to stretch before I toss or I can't seem to get any juice on throw. Even still, I probably could do a better job but I'm normally so pumped I just want to get out and start.

This myth may be busted:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/02/sports/playmagazine/112pewarm.html?partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Thorough physical warmup is the key, simply stretching may actually weaken the muscles you intend to use. Since reading this I've made a point of warming up properly before playing disc and it is a big help.

Old guy here, I warm up with some catch, then once warm I stretch, just ask the young guys I out throw regular if it works :lol: