• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In between XD and Wizard

sheaD

Bogey Member
Ok I told myself I wasn't going to do it b/c I usually hate threads like this but...Can anyone think of a disc that is somewhere in between an XD and a Wizard? I currently use both to putt with and some days I am better with one than the other. I like the small profile of the XD but love the grip of the Wizard. Is there anything that is in between the two?

I like the magic. The plastic is similar to Wizards and they are a little flatter. You may want to try a Ringer; the base plastic is a little slick until broken in.

i've always thought that if gateway made a low profile putter similar to the xd that it'd sell pretty well.

By in between, do you mean depth or stability? And just putting, or also for approaches/driving?

Spike is a nice disc. I use mine mostly for approaches but also putt with it a lot. Very similar flight to an XD but a little more stable at first...rim is a little deeper, but not as deep as most putters, and it's still a small diameter. It also tends to glide less and stick to the ground better at putting speeds. CFR Champ XDs are more stable than the dx and have less glide. I've started using one for windy days when I don't want to wrestle with a Pig. Anode is another one to consider, both in depth and stability. My favorite for most days is a SSS Magic, but it's neutral to understable to start out with and the standard deep putter profile.

By in between, do you mean depth or stability? And just putting, or also for approaches/driving?

Mostly the depth and this would only be for putting. Some days I can't miss with my XD and some days I can't miss with my Wizard. I'm not a big fan of the big beefy putters. I gave the Anode a try in soft and medium and it wasn't really my thing. I guess what I'm looking for is if the Wizard and the XD had a baby. It sounds like the Spike might be the closest thing.

So basically you're looking for a lower profile Wizard? I'd probably try a Voodoo with the smaller bead, Magic for no bead. The r-pro XD and Classic Roc suggestions are good too. I think most of the Lat 64 putters are lower profile, Spike and Pure.

Yeah...Pick up a Spike in zero line and you'll probably really like it. Might take a little beating in to get it where you want it but out of the box it'll be close. Another very similar one is the Lightning Upshot #2...larger diameter but a shallow Spike-ish rim depth. The base plastic is cheese but it's a nice disc and drives well. I think GGGT has them in x-outs in both base and pro plastic for like $4 right now. Between the two, I like the Spike better but they're both nice.

So basically you're looking for a lower profile Wizard? I'd probably try a Voodoo with the smaller bead, Magic for no bead. The r-pro XD and Classic Roc suggestions are good too. I think most of the Lat 64 putters are lower profile, Spike and Pure.

Yeah basically. I think if the Wizard was just slight lower profile or the XD was slightly larger profile (somewhere in between the XD and Wizard) with a Wizard grip then I would have my perfect putter! Sounds like I'll have to give the Spike a try.

Also, if beads matter to you, the Spike is bead-free, very similar profile to the XD. Upshot #2 has a small bead.

Latest posts