• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In desperate need of putting advice.

Ive been working on my putting alot lately (yay basket @ home now) and have been concentrating on:

1: developing a putting routine; making sure on each putt i have the same stance, breathing, motions etc
2: getting away from hyzer putting and am now trying to put more snap on my putts and firing them more directly at the basket.

I've only been doing it a few weeks and my putting has improved dramatically. Had a beer at my house with a DGer friend the other day. At one point we stepped out onto my back porch and my friend was shooting most of my bag at my basket (40ish ft away). After his 6th or so miss he hands me a disc and jokingly said 'show me how its done'. I set up just like ive been practicing, shot and drained it. He looked over at me and goes 'ok, you're starting to worry me about the next time we go out on course together...."

Ive had a few longer in game putts that have felt just as sweet, but hitting that 40 fter with no warm up, on my 1st try, after my friend had been struggling... all that made it more fun lol

I now get more putts in in 15 minute of practice than I would through 5 games on course (used to be the only time I 'practiced' was in game). Practice helps:)

Something I've found that helps a lot is to not think too much about the putt. I used to get into my stance, stare at the link I want to hit, practice my swing a couple of times, take a deep breath and then make the putt, only to see it miss by a mile. Now I go to my lie, get into position, find my throwing target and then throw. No thinking or extra swings just throw. I'm now making shots from farther than I ever have.

i really think that it is more of a form issue, a while back i was throwing anhyzer putts and was very accurate, but a lot of the discs would bounce off the chains. I wanted to get a putt that would really smack the chains and stick so I started putting on a more direct line, was a lot less accurate.

That is part of your answer there. The Rhyno is an overstable putter. I used to throw one and the best advice given to me on how I should use the Rhyno was to put just a little anhyzer on it. My putts were more accurate, but I wanted to be able to snap my putts. I couldn't do it with a Rhyno. As much as I liked the disc, I had to move on. Tried several different putters, and like you, I did not like the Avair, Magnet, ect. I now putt with a BlowFly.
It suits me well. My original thought was this thing sux in the wind. However if you put more spin/snap on it the wind is not that big of a factor. From that point I started to apply more snap, and my putting improved. Also make a real effort to "shake the hand".

just a couple things to add.

First, practice. Practice a lot. And practice like it's the real thing. Put pressure on yourself while practicing. Think, "ok, this is for birdie," or, "ok, if i make this i'll win the round for the day/win the tournament/whatever. just put pressure on yourself so that when you're in a round and you put pressure on yourself there, it doesn't feel any different than practice does.

Secondly. Be confident. That video mentioned is a good video, but I would suggest to never putt from the same spot on back to back putts because it's unrealistic. But figuring out how to build confidence is amazing.

and if you need some confidence, just head over to despair.com, where you can find endless demotivators.

I sucked at putting, then got better, then I played Renny in charlotte, nc. My god those slopping greens made my ass so tight. I hate putters(except the pig, rhyno and classic roc), but once I tried the skeeter and the 360 game I improved alot. I am still not good at it, but much better. Everyone has a thing that works for them, so I'll just say sink one, remember how you did it, and practice it with 360. And lastly, just don't think when you putt.

Spin or not to spin

Okay, so there seems to be a difference of opinion on this one. Some have said use the less spin and more push, other are saying to really spin the disc and bang it into the chains. I am just wondering which is more common and which tends to be more accurate. It seems to me that the push putt might be more accurate, or at the very least won't fly as far past the basket if you miss.

Technique is not so important as practice. If you practiced left handed side arm through the legs standing on one foot with one shoe off and wearing an eye patch and pirate hat you would become a great putter with practice.

Once you have practiced enough your brain will take over and do all the work for you. I like to wait a few seconds and look at the link and then let my brain make the putt for me. If I take over and try to force it without letting my brain do all the calculations of distance and trajectory then I almost always miss.

Last edited:
Sounds like my best bet is to buy a basket and start practicing. Thanks for the help guys, gonna try a couple things that i picked up on here, maybe even try a different putter for closer putts.

I would suggest the Perfect putt 360. It really will help your game if you'll take the time to practice. That's the key- practice alot!
I can putt up to about 25ft and do pretty well but when it comes to 30ft or more my putts pretty much go to hell in a hand basket...but at least I'm enjoying the ride..ride..riiihide.
Gotta practice those long putts! I use a Innova Aviar,Innova star gator,and an innova Cro for my long putts(25 ft or so).
usually I will have my right foot planted behind the disc or mini disc and then when I start my throw I focus on one chain link then lean towards the basket and at the same time I start to throw the disc I also push off with my left foot,the right foot stays solid on the ground behind the disc,after the toss the left foot comes back down behind the right foot. Works for me pretty well. Hope that helps ya some. Keep practicing,you'll get there!

If you practiced left handed side arm through the legs standing on one foot with one shoe off and wearing an eye patch and pirate hat you would become a great putter with practice.
you forgot about tying your shoe in a double knot and putting all your change in your left pocket and dont forget some chili peppers for lee janson :confused:

Try a Magnet or a Titanic and your putting will greatly improve.;)

I am kidding, nobody yell at me for this, its just a joke.:D

you gotta putt like you dont give a shi8 that its going go 20+ feet past if you miss because in all probability it will if you do but you gotta not worry about that because your gonna make it and if you miss your gonna make that one too because ur a baddass putting machine sent here from the future to terminate chains .

+1 especially the part about being a badass putting machine send here from the future to terminate chains. You need confidence boarding on arrogance anything less is for pussycats.

I had the identical problem earlier this year. I was never a good putter and would often miss 5 foot putts that other people would just toss in without thinking. I probably cost myself 5 shots per round not being able to putt and more trying so hard to get my approach within a couple of feet of the basket. I purchased a DVD from Innova with Ken Climo and watched the segment on push putting. I purchased a Discraft Magnet 175 (also use an Aviar) and started practicing push putting. I saw immediate results.
I picked a spot that I started to feel uncomfortable with as far as distance and would practice until I was confident from that spot. I started 5 feet from the basket and now have gotten to the point where I feel like I will make every putt within 15 feet and most within 20 feet. I know that's not great but having a confidence ring triple of what it used to be has helped alot. Obviously there are times when I stuggle with some of the mechanics (release mainly) and I need to go back and watch the DVD again, but it is nothing like it used to be. I was close to quitting and now putting is my favorite part of the round. Don't give up.

Last edited:
Technique is not so important as practice. If you practiced left handed side arm through the legs standing on one foot with one shoe off and wearing an eye patch and pirate hat you would become a great putter with practice.

Once you have practiced enough your brain will take over and do all the work for you. I like to wait a few seconds and look at the link and then let my brain make the putt for me. If I take over and try to force it without letting my brain do all the calculations of distance and trajectory then I almost always miss.

You hit it on the dot. I used to worry about what the trajectory of my disc was going to be for the longest time. It worked for a bit, but after a while i stopped seeing improvement. Now I just pick out a single link and throw. The more I think about my shot, the worse I seem to do. Have a consistent stance and release point is important tho...

roadtripstuff,

ive got to be as bad or worse than you at putting. ive tried several different types of putters and havent had much success with any of them. let me know what works for you when you figure it out, b/c i also am in need of a lot of advice/improvement.

The ONE thing that improved my putting the most, was the consistent routine route. Step up to the disc, take a deep breath, focus on one spot in the basket, get into my stance, and throw the disc in. I do this on every putt I throw, no matter how close or far. I find when I don't do my routine, I miss more. So my advice would be to get into a comfortable routine, and do it every time.

As far as discs go, I emptied my bag using everything I had from about 30' and found the one disc that was the most consistent, then borrowed a buddies bag and did the same thing. I then had 2 discs I was really comfortable with, and went from there. Heavier putters don't go as far past the basket for me also.

-walk up
-visualize the line
-remind yourself that you are badass
-smooth weight transfer>release point
-shake your own hand as you walk to your bag, because you pwn souls and you don't have to watch the disc, because you know it is going in
-look at the other people in your group and say "lick my balls and suck on my ass"
-don't litter

Genius!

I find that focusing on my throws and putts both make them worse, which is why my tournament score is NEVER as good as casual score. If I go out to play a quick round myself after work, I find myself just running the course on auto-pilot, sinking putts that in tournament I never hit. I've had times where i got past the basket and then stopped and realized, did I just hit that putt?

I've started to put this into use on less-than-casual play, I walk up. I get in stance. I throw. I don't stand there anymore and mock putt, practice the drawback or any of that long preparation stuff. I've dropped my score substantially in tourney/league since I've started to do this.

That's the confidence portion, and will actually go hand in hand with your form. When you build up your confidence, you will sink more putts. I don't know where the quote was, but someone said "go for it, or lay it up, If you try for both it will do neither" or something similar to that.

I putt both with an inline putt, and a squared up stance (feet perpendicular to basket). Recently I have liked the square stance more, but I use the other for more distance. I used to anhyzer putt like you for a long time, and it worked decently, but with a RHBH putt, it hits the the left side of the pole/chains like a tree and keeps right on going out of the basket. It took me a long time to get my straight putts down, just be confident give it a little bit of elevation to drop, dont' send a drive at the chains.

Practice, Practice, Practice. Also don't think to much about your putts that will just get you nervous and cause you to miss the easy ones. Get your feet set, find your spot rock back and forth a bit and let it fly smoothly out of your hand....then just relax and hear that beautiful sound........"chang".

Latest posts