• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

In what ways do you remember your round?

Skins

Par Member
Been playing bell golf since I was 6. I'm 48 now and always remembered my rounds shot by shot, not putting too much emphasis on the score.

Same in disc now. Shot -6 yesterday and remember each shot on each hole, where I was and what I threw.
Once I start the next round though, ...it's gone and can't recall the prior round once another one is complete on the same course that is.

Is the best throw you had or hole, or worst shot that crumbled your round.

I don't dwell on bad rounds, there is always something to be learned even on the worst of days....like patience and understanding that every day, no matter how good you are, you're just not going to be your best.

Strange thing though, playing billards, after running a table, I can't hardly tell you how it happened.

I'm interested in how you folks see your game in retrospect being that I'm a lefty dyslexic and my brain works in different ways.

Last edited:
I play with a guy who not only remembers his game shot by shot, he remembers the whole card's game shot by shot... even months or years later!

I use an erasable scorecard (clipped inside an old, beat up Valkyrie) and jot down score and any interesting notes, then put that in my score book here on dgcr after I get home. Sometimes I can recall details for a while, and it helps to look back in the scorebook if I'm really set on remembering them. But for the most part, after only a few days, I really only try to focus on remembering the really special moments. :p

It is really impressive when you hear a true master at their craft talk about it in an interview though. I once saw Ted Williams recollecting the pitch count, situation, pitch, and location of one of his thousands of hits. Those guys seem to have eidetic memories for what they do well.

I remember my first round on just about every course I've played, but only the drives and some second shots when it was more than a simple upshot. I don't remember putting unless there's a really interesting basket placement or I do something truly stupid and memorable. On courses I play a lot, I remember my best and worst rounds pretty much shot for shot, and I'll remember specific shots from other rounds that were way better or worse than my norm, otherwise they blend together quite a bit.

I went through a period where I started getting really down on myself after a bad round. But I started to realize that there's always at least one memorable shot. Whether it's a perfectly executed tee shot, a long putt, or something in between, there's a highlight in there somewhere.

So now when I walk off the course, I think back through and try to identify the most memorable shot of the round. That's what I carry with me in my memory banks. Most of these highlights get wiped out in the next round or two anyway.

I use an erasable scorecard (clipped inside an old, beat up Valkyrie) and jot down score and any interesting notes, then put that in my score book here on dgcr after I get home. Sometimes I can recall details for a while, and it helps to look back in the scorebook if I'm really set on remembering them. But for the most part, after only a few days, I really only try to focus on remembering the really special moments. :p. .

This... Without the Valk and reusable scorecard.

I played 2 tourneys this weekend and I can tell you shot for shot what I did over all 4 rds.....I have a strong memory if it something I want to remember.....I used to be able to remember every single course and the layout I have ever played but now I can't do that any longer as I close in on 200 courses....but if you show me a picture of a course I only played once I can prob remember it from that point......including how I played the hole and what score I took.

I only remember the really good shots and the really bad shots of rounds played before my last one. Alzheimer's sucks.

I found out that for me if it's a competitive round I'll remember all my shots and what I threw... for a while. If it's a casual round where I'm throwing mulligans then I only remember the really good shots.

Its a per day thing for me. If I play 4 rounds in a day I can recall every shot, and most shots of anyone I played with, but after playing a round the next day, the previous day starts to fade. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell people in my group what they did on a previous hole bc they can't remember.

It is really impressive when you hear a true master at their craft talk about it in an interview though. I once saw Ted Williams recollecting the pitch count, situation, pitch, and location of one of his thousands of hits. Those guys seem to have eidetic memories for what they do well.

I just wanted to mention that Aaron Rodgers is absolutely insane at this. I've seen him in post game interviews recall plays from the 2007 preseason; what play, what the defense was running and who the defenders were, what he was thinking and why he went to a certain spot. Its mind blowing.

After a tournament I can tell you shot by shot for all of the rounds. Including the disc I used, the score I got, trees hit, OB, etc.

I'll often go through each hole in my head after Saturday's rounds and make adjustments for Sunday, which helps most of the time.

So none of you guys drink on the course then?

I just played a round two hours ago and all I can remember is that I'm not happy.

I am not a master at this craft. Except for exceptional shots, I really don't remember specific rounds for very long.
I tend to remember courses... not necessarily in terms of hole by hole descriptions, but more in terms of the look, feel and how they play.

Last edited:
I thought I was the only weird one ;P I remember entire rounds, the shots, discs, tree hits, etc etc for weeks.

I tend to remember all of my shots in a round for a week or two, maybe up to a month. When I'm playing the same course the next time, I always remember the previous shot, up to several months prior. I don't know that I could do that after, say, a year for most courses, but there are always a few shots that I still remember years later from just about every game I've played.

i remember every round, what i threw, my score for pretty much the full day.

after that i could probably still tell you what, but i always play 2-3 rounds whenever i play on weekends so it gets a little difficult.

After a tournament I can tell you shot by shot for all of the rounds. Including the disc I used, the score I got, trees hit, OB, etc.

I'll often go through each hole in my head after Saturday's rounds and make adjustments for Sunday, which helps most of the time.

This. Oftentimes I do that with the first round during lunch and make adjustments for the afternoon. I assumed that everyone did this, and I played for a lot of years before I learned otherwise.

So none of you guys drink on the course then?

I do, but never during competitive rounds. Competitive meaning sanctioned events, league rounds, club monthlies, or even tag matches. I like the competition and I play better without the "Fog of Beer" clouding my "abilities."

Casual rounds I carry at least a six-pack. The top compartment of the DD Ranger Bag I sport was one of the primary selling points in that regard.

I just played a round two hours ago and all I can remember is that I'm not happy.

Drink up! :D

I use the scorebook and reviews on this site! It's a great tool.

I also make notes of which discs I threw on what shots and the results in iNotes.