• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inconsiderate league players

This is always a debatable topic. There are times I see a couple of people and insist that they pass. Others times, I don't want them to pass. So you said you were with a few friends, how many is a few? How many were in their, group? I personally think it's ridiculous when people play in huge groups, it literally holds up the whole course, and when you are in a huge group, why would you want to wait forever between your throws ya know? I think if you choose to play in a group of 6 or more people, you should be expecting to let most people play through. I usually play in no larger than 4 people. Sometimes if a course is super crowded, you can't let everyone faster than you pass through because you will never finish your round. If there is a small group of teenagers or casuals just coming through and hucking discs and not even playing seriously, then they can wait or skip a couple of holes for all I care. Maybe by getting stuck behind and watching us, they can see how to play the game and that some people take it serious.

Another thing that I personally do, is when I'm playing alone, which is usually throwing 2 or 3 drives and putts, and I come up on other players. I will usually just skip the hole they are on and go around them. I see a lot of people playing by themselves who will come up on a group and get impatient and just expect to play through a group, I think it would be easier for them to just skip the hole. If its thats serious for you, then you can always go back to it.

and this is the exact attitude that the op is talking about. so what if some people take it serious. that does not give said person any more or less right to the disc golf course. I play casual rounds for the most part. yet when someone faster than me comes up, I always offer them to play through. a lot of times they end up joining me. by reading your post ryboy it looks to me as you need a lesson in course etiquette. just because you take it serious you don't own the course. just because you take it serious doesn't mean you have the right to tell people to wait. those people could care less how serious you are about the sport and probably don't want to learn a thing from you.

Like someone has said already, if it is who I think it probably is, then I really can't believe that this is the order of events that took place, and wonder what the other side of the story might sound like.

Like someone has said already, if it is who I think it probably is, then I really can't believe that this is the order of events that took place, and wonder what the other side of the story might sound like.

The other side of the story would be that we need to call the police because at least 4 people have vanished without a trace.

I would bet it's exactly who you are thinking of, which is why the situation rustled my jimmies in the first place.

First off, get thicker skin. If the fact that a group wouldn't let you play through & you had to post ion DGCR, you have some serious issues. Also I bet that the person who said that there was a group of ten people in front of them was just an exaggeration. Many people exaggerate out of habit& I also doubt he/the group was trying to get you of the course. Either you've had previous interaction with this guy/the group or you just have a quick temper. Also just b/c people are in leagues & tourneys doesn't mean that they're talented players or that they have better course etiquette than casual players. Don't pin this on them b/c they are league players, they don't represent league players as a whole. It may have seemed like a dick move to you that they wouldn't let you play through but even if you where in a smaller group than them they could have been better players than you & your friends. That sounds like a bad excuse but I know from experience that a group a three bad players usually takes a lot longer to play a hole than a group of 5 great players. If it takes a person two or three shots to get to the same spot you get to in one shot it will no doubt take them longer to play. I understand that accuracy plays a roll in this also but I'm talking in general.

............................................________
....................................,.-'"...................``~.,
.............................,.-"..................................."-.,
.........................,/...............................................":,
.....................,?......................................................,
.................../...........................................................,}
................./......................................................,:`^`..}
.............../...................................................,:"........./
..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
............./__.(....."~-,_..............................,:`........../
.........../(_...."~,_........"~,_....................,:`........_/
..........{.._$;_......"=,_......."-,_.......,.-~-,},.~";/....}
...........((.....*~_......."=-._......";,,./`..../"............../
...,,,___.`~,......"~.,....................`.....}............../
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-"
............/.`~,......`-...................................../
.............`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....,__
,,_..........}.>-._...................................|..............`=~-,
.....`=~-,__......`,.................................
...................`=~-,,.,...............................
................................`:,,...........................`..............__
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
........................................_..........._,-%.......`

The other side:

- We were playing slowly and trying out a special layout of the course being used in the state tournament (lots of discussion/explanation going on)

- We were asked by a faster group (that is always out playing at the local courses) playing the normal layout to play through.

- We said "no"

- They walked past us, carried on with their day, and played 2 rounds in the time it took us to play one.

That's at least part of the other side. But, inquiring minds want to know! _Why_ did you say "no"?

And, did you, and how did you, characterize the group in front of you?
Sorry. I wasn't in that group. Just reporting what I saw.

The reasoning was something like "there is a another group of 10 in front of us."

"Group of 10" was 5-6 guys.

It seems like natedg is an offended hucker.

Why so unserious?

it is not that i am unserious. i am actually in the process of working hard on improving my game. that is part of the reason i registered here. i am also in the process of learning the rules of the sport so i feel comfortable entering tourneys and getting into a league. imo some people are too serious and it brings down the sport.

The funny thing is: during league play, he has made it clear that we should yeild to rec players since, in his words, "We don't own the course". And, that's during league play! Strange indeed.

It's six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Skip the hole if you can. If not, just take your time and play.

You're entitled to your hole, but don't expect to "play through" on league night. Doesn't work that way in ball golf, doesn't work that way in disc golf.

I feel your pain though. Some league guys can be real jerks and try to force you off the course.

The funny thing is: during league play, he has made it clear that we should yeild to rec players since, in his words, "We don't own the course". And, that's during league play! Strange indeed.
I think it might be a different person. Not the guy who runs the wed league.

You're entitled to your hole, but don't expect to "play through" on league night. Doesn't work that way in ball golf, doesn't work that way in disc golf.

I feel your pain though. Some league guys can be real jerks and try to force you off the course.

Read the op before you post.

I have no problem with a course being held for a set league night. I just go somewhere else if there is an event at a certain course, or if the league has it "reserved" for a certain night of the week. If you are going to run a league proper it is a necessity. I'm not against league in general, THIS specific situation just made me want to say something.

It's difficult to describe the situation without pointing fingers and naming names. At any rate maybe next time people will ask themselves if douching out is their best option, or just be courteous. (and maybe not making **** up would be cool too)

If the league has an arrangement with the park to rent out the course (or if it's at a private course) then they absolutely have priority. Otherwise, they don't have any more right to be on the course than any casual player. I've played in many leagues, and in all of them we let casuals through with a friendly warning that it was going to be a slow day with all the league cards on the course. In golf, the course is actually making money from the league being there, the park isn't benefiting from leagues being there.

I believe that I am the "eliteist douchebag" that the op is talking about. To alleviate any anonymity, my name is Joey Schmit and would take full responsibility for any and all of this if I knew it was going to be as big a problems as this and would create that much tension.

On that day, we were playing doubles on a layout that was not the standard course. I was with a group of 6 on teepad 3. There was a group of 5 ahead of us on the next hole that was playing doubles (2 groups and 1 cali) making for 11 total players. I do not remember 100%, but I believe that when posed the question to play through, all 6 of us had teed off and were just leaving the teepad, heading down the fairway (although I could be mistaken).

True, I did not say anything because another person in our group stated that there were more players ahead of us. We went to our drives, played the rest of the hole and by that time saw the group asking to play through skip a couple holes and go ahead of us. To be honest, I didn't think anymore about the exchange because I didn't think it was a problem.

If this is "elitist douchebaggery", I am sorry. There is no way in the world I would want to piss off another golfer on the course. I have seen my fair share of altercations on the course because of people having an entitlement behavior and it is ridiculous, but I don't believe we had that attitude in that case.

If anybody wants to talk about what happened on that day and needs a face-to-face apology, an explanation or something to prove I'm not trying to be a DB, I would be more than happy to do that over a cold glass of your favorite beverage. My number and e-mail are posted online at the same website as my screen name, or just search my name and Fargo. Let me meet up and prove to you this was not an intentional dick-move.

I believe that I am the "eliteist douchebag" that the op is talking about. To alleviate any anonymity, my name is Joey Schmit and would take full responsibility for any and all of this if I knew it was going to be as big a problems as this and would create that much tension.

On that day, we were playing doubles on a layout that was not the standard course. I was with a group of 6 on teepad 3. There was a group of 5 ahead of us on the next hole that was playing doubles (2 groups and 1 cali) making for 11 total players. I do not remember 100%, but I believe that when posed the question to play through, all 6 of us had teed off and were just leaving the teepad, heading down the fairway (although I could be mistaken).

True, I did not say anything because another person in our group stated that there were more players ahead of us. We went to our drives, played the rest of the hole and by that time saw the group asking to play through skip a couple holes and go ahead of us. To be honest, I didn't think anymore about the exchange because I didn't think it was a problem.

If this is "elitist douchebaggery", I am sorry. There is no way in the world I would want to piss off another golfer on the course. I have seen my fair share of altercations on the course because of people having an entitlement behavior and it is ridiculous, but I don't believe we had that attitude in that case.

If anybody wants to talk about what happened on that day and needs a face-to-face apology, an explanation or something to prove I'm not trying to be a DB, I would be more than happy to do that over a cold glass of your favorite beverage. My number and e-mail are posted online at the same website as my screen name, or just search my name and Fargo. Let me meet up and prove to you this was not an intentional dick-move.

:clap: kudos for trying to mend fences, very standup!

Yet another case of someone crying on DGCR about something they should've either brushed off their shoulder and forgotten about instantly, or handled in person. This isn't facebook and we're not 15 year old girls, handle your **** like a man instead of passive-aggressing it all over the DGCR forums.

Though as far as the "this guy has no more right to play the course than I do" thing.. If he is a prominent supporter and organizer in the area, I have a feeling he has put work, time, thought, and money into the disc golf course or club. While it's a public park/course, anyone who puts that much into a course IMO has rank over people who won't put 10-20$ up to support the club maintaining the courses they play weekly.

I figured this was the case. More and more guys are sensitive these days and doesnt take much for them to get butt-hurt. Thx for the post!

Latest posts