• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Disc Golf?

The last time the lottery was over 500 million, obviously the ideas of how to spend it ran rampant in my mind on my ride home from work (I drive 90 minutes each way). In that time I figured out exactly how I could make it feasible, most of what was already suggested here with artifical elevation, using existing beams as "trees", carpeting the floor, netting the fairway and ceilings, having lit corridors and obstacles for "night" rounds, and making everything movable so the course could be completely modified in a matter of hours.

Some of my wilder ideas included:

1) Security cameras that film your round and you can purchase it afterward.

2) If the building is multiple levels, the top floor would have an OB hole in the floor (netting to keep it from going downstairs), and on nicer days have a top of the world shot to a basket outside.

3) Have a fully stocked Pro Shop that could compete with any online retailer, thus making it a destination whether you are there to play or just purchase.

4) Have "after hours" reservations for parties where lights can be turned off or some netting is removed to make a 6 hole course instead of 9, but the holes are exceedingly challenging.

5) Have a ton of rubber plants that are resilient to damage so it can act like schule.

If there was any real problem, it would be from the abundance of positive response. These type of courses can only hold so many people at a time. You would either need to establish tee times and or charge a higher price to make up for only having a few people capable of running the course at a time. Being rich and not caring about the bottom line helps, but it would still be a business.

I think in a place like Minnesota this would be totally feasible, but during the summer time you'd want other things to help make-up for lost revenue due to players actually playing outside...like batting cages, etc.

^When you win. PM me and I'll help you work on it.

Sounds like a lot of fun.

I think in a place like Minnesota this would be totally feasible, but during the summer time you'd want other things to help make-up for lost revenue due to players actually playing outside...like batting cages, etc.

DG is not my only activity. I would likely include an archery range and maybe an inflatable dome for indoor soccer/ batting cages/ football/ tennis/ distance driving with my fairway drivers and mids. During the summer I am still hoping that I would have traffic because of my pro shop being so well stocked. It would not be as busy in the "thunderdome" during the summer, but I bet I could get a few people to play a round after their purchase and before they depart.

Of course money is limited, even at 500 million. I would take the annuity (approximately 300 million after taxes spread out over 20 years, or 15 million a year) because it would keep me from blowing it all in one shot. I would still live modestly because I love the area, but I would buy the following luxury items:

Fully decked-out cabin up north with no less than 100 acres. On this property would be a championship level 27 hole course.

Two airplanes, because I have a passion for flying even though I cannot currently afford it. Both would be replicas of World War II aircraft (P-51 for personal use and a B-25 as a passanger plane). Being custom built means a few million dollars right there.

The faculities necessary to have a runway and hanger at my cabin.

Two nice cars, one being a modified Mustang and the other being a fully-decked out familymobile.

And there is the money for everything my wife WANTS and my kids NEED.

When I drive and I am not carpooling to school, I actually prefer not to have the radio on. I like to have my mind wander, especially when I am really enthusiastic about writing my novels, but there are times I can definitely let my mind wander in regards to what I do with a lottery win. There are quite a few buildings and some nice land that I pass daily between Maple Grove and Mille Lacs.

.... Love the idea just not sure how viable it is, specially at this point in the games growth and what else would be needed on-site in order to generate positive cash flow.

Few Questions for some feedback:
How much would you pay for an indoor course?
Could it be like a "Mini-Golf" course where you mostly work on approaches/putts?
What do you expect to get as a player from the concept?
Would you go there when it is nice out?

Have you considered pitching it as a course for mini discs?

Having gone through the whole thread, Lewis seems to be the only one thinking outside the box.

To expand on Lewis....indoor could be really nice with scaled down discs. Something between a mini and say a Magnet or Aviar or Roc/Buzz. Predictable flipping, hyzers, etc, but with a much lighter disc...yet something thats a bit easier (larger) to grip than a mini. But smaller than a Roc.

Of course that in between disc size doesn't exist.....except maybe in Whammo World and who would bother to produce midsized discs. Except maybe places like mini putt/putt, go kart type places.

Just throwing this out there to the internet masses.

Few Questions for some feedback:
How much would you pay for an indoor course?
Could it be like a "Mini-Golf" course where you mostly work on approaches/putts?
What do you expect to get as a player from the concept?
Would you go there when it is nice out?

If you look at the business model created by indoor mini-golf, that would give you the best buy if you are going for a straight-up course indoors. If you are going to try more trivial or unique approaches like black-light golfing or urban golfing, you can look at how laser-tag arenas or indoor trampoline parks are run. My guess would be 5 dollars per round (assuming a round lasts an hour or longer) or 10 dollars for multiple rounds.

I do not think a mini-golf would work unless you put enough obstacles in there so it does not become a pitch and putt. Fairways are going to be tight enough, I do not think you will have much room to work with in regards to your greens. If anything, a place like this would be a time to work on those putter and mid drives because most putts will likely be 25 feet or less just because of the room you will have to work with around the basket.

I place like this would thrive if it were near courses that have some tight, wooded holes. Most experienced players are going to treat a place like this as practice for a real course. Well designed gaps, tunnels, and low ceilings are a most to make this place interesting.

Otherwise, a good draw would be because of the novelty of it. More than anything I really want to play that underground course that is an abandoned mine. The course is listed here on DGCR, I am just too lazy to look it up right now. I love that concept because of the novelty of it. Without making this too gimmicky, the novelty of playing in a dark buidling where black-lights, Avator-style lit-up plants, and maybe some dry-ice mist would be fun to play once a month or so, especially in a tournament or league setting.

Otherwise, a good draw would be because of the novelty of it. More than anything I really want to play that underground course that is an abandoned mine. The course is listed here on DGCR, I am just too lazy to look it up right now. I love that concept because of the novelty of it. Without making this too gimmicky, the novelty of playing in a dark buidling where black-lights, Avator-style lit-up plants, and maybe some dry-ice mist would be fun to play once a month or so, especially in a tournament or league setting.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5055

Cooolll!!! Definitely added this to my Wiish List! Thanks for mentioning it!
:thmbup:

When you're ready to buy the property, I have160 acres 7 miles north of Aitkin. Mostly flat. It's the farm my dad grew up on and came to him in his inheritance. Will be passed on to me one day. I can say once my parents pass, i cant see spending a lot of time in Minnesota....no more than a couple of weeks a year.

Even in Minnesota, I think disc golf (outdoors) year-round isn't a big deal. This year was tough...as we got a fair amount of ice before we got our snow pack. But even then, you just throw more with your upper body (no X-step) and/or move the tee over to a spot with no ice for the Winter.

That said, it does get really old/tiring having to worry about injuring an ankle/knee on every tee shot. I'd love to play indoors at least once to say I did it. But as a business model? I think someone would eventually be filing bankruptcy if they ever gave it a serious try. As even in Minnesota, nobody'd play it between March and October/November. Steve West's event idea though is gold. Rent a place like Metrodome once a year between December and February, and you'll get your participants. Without tens/hundreds of thousands in overhead/mortgages for your trouble.

Would a large tent (think circus or revivals) be cheaper than an actual building?

Apparently someone is building an indoor 18 hole tiki course with some other activities in Lancaster PA, supposed to open in spring.

Latest posts