• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Putting - How do you protect your walls?

prokebyt

I'm setting up an area in my basement to practice putting and I'm interested in how people protect their walls when they do this? My basement is finished and the walls are drywall. Due to the layout the basket will be in a corner.

The last thread I found on this was from 2016 and had some great ideas: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119804&highlight=indoor

Just wondering if there are any other options.

TIA!

Well, the snarky response would obviously be "just don't miss". :)
But seriously, if you envision something 'tapestry'-like, hung just a few inches out from the walls, it could look good & protect the drywall. Got a cool quilt, or just an old comforter or two?

Quilt is a good idea. Based on the layout the basket is going to be very close to the wall so I was leaning towards a harder material directly on the wall. I'll have some carpet strips left over, so I think carpet directly on the wall with a quilt in front would work, thanks!

Simon Lizotte just used some soft foam from a packaging for some food he got for a training thing to see if they help with energy boost for training during the off season.

The other would be to get old scrap carpet/large rugs the low profile stuff, it will be denser material and attach that to the walls, also easier to attach via the larger staples. Can cover up with sheets or something to hide the rugs like what Simon did in his video.

Last edited:
Use 1" PVC and 90° elbows to build a square frame about 6' x 6'. Get a canvas painters dropcloth of about 8' x 16' and sew a loop across one long edge. Slide that loop onto your PVC frame, so that the long axis of the dropcloth spans one entire edge of the frame, and most of the adjacent edges. Put an eyehook (eye down) into a ceiling joist, and an eyehook (eye up) into each corner of the PVC frame. Tie 2 10-11' lengths of parachute cord onto the eyehooks on opposite corners of the frame, so that you have two intersecting ropes near the center of the frame. Twist a bight in the center of each of those ropes, and put an S-hook into both of them. Suspend the whole system from the eyehook on the ceiling. Odds are it will slump to the "heavy" edge with the dropcloth, so use the twisted bights to adjust how the system hangs. Once you're confident in the placement of the S-hook on the loops you could tie a butterfly loop or similar so that the system won't shift.

Materials:
24 LF 1" PVC, in 6 LF lengths
4 90° 1" PVC elbows
PVC primer/glue depending on how permanent you want to make the frame--PVC will slip out over time, especially as you hit the dropcloth
5 eyehooks (consider small ones for the PVC frame and a larger one to attach to a ceiling joist)
Cordless drill + bits at diameter of eyehook shanks (for pilot holes)
20-22 LF parachute cord
8' x 16' canvas painters dropcloth

Total cost should be around 30 dollars.

Well, the snarky response would obviously be "just don't miss". :)
But seriously, if you envision something 'tapestry'-like, hung just a few inches out from the walls, it could look good & protect the drywall. Got a cool quilt, or just an old comforter or two?

I putt in my apt, down the hall towards the door, and literally use a tapestry. As long as it's relatively thick, and 6"+ from the wall, it slows em down enough to prevent any damage.

But who am I kidding, I rarely actually put it up - my walls have thousands of disc marks on em.

I need to protect me discs from my garage door hinges.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk