• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injuries

ejlopez

Not sure where this topic goes so i put it in the General Forums. Just wondered what types of injuires have you had or have when playing the game? or even heard of..

From my experience..haha, i threw wrong and injuried just below my shoulder area..sucks but working on it though. So it just hit me and asked this question.

I didn't get this one playing, but rather at work. I forgot to bend at the knees and tried lifting 50lb with my back and it feels terrible right now. I dunno if I can play honestly and that scares me.

When I first started playing, I would strongarm the discs really bad and end up with a sore shoulder for days afterwards.

Also, while I don't think I'd consider this an injury really, last weekend I was making a shot and backed up against a bush to throw from the horrible lie I'd left myself. What I didn't realized was that it was actually a thornbush. I ended up literally velcroing my back and legs to the bush. Thankfully I stopped bleeding from all the little holes in my body pretty quickly afterwards. :doh:

I have a pulled groin muscle from not stretching out. I also suspect I might have a torn ligament in my shoulder from poor technique when first starting out. Cannot emphasis enough a proper warm-up before each round. I would also recommend newbies to work with a good player so as to avoid injuries.

I rolled my ankle really bad walking down a steep fairway. The top of my foot turned black and blue for over a week. I think it took a good three months to heal up. I'm still nervous on that hole.

Tore the calf muscle in my right leg last year while teeing off on #7 at the Herm, took @ 3 months to heal:sick:

joesouthfla, yeah I would also recommand a newbie not to throw so hard to avoid an injury, i also tell them "nice and easy, go with the flow.." (happy gilmore moment:popcorn:)..I guess I threw wrong yesterday caused me to hurt myself of course. So, Im leaving tonight to colorado to play more but...since i injured it, dunno if i'll play as i normally play:|, i live in arizona so cool wether more disc golf!:thmbup:

I have ever-present elbow soreness. I'm on a pretty steady diet of ibuprofen throughout the summer...

To all, be cautious about playing through the pain, and self-diagnosis. You may turn a small injury into a major injury that involves surgery, medical expense, and/or months or longer of not playing disc golf.

torn groin from taking too wide of a stance in a run up, torn bursa sack that required surgery, lack of shoulder cartilage that required surgery, severe contusion to ankle that required hospital visit, sprained knee from playing on bad ankle, currently dealing with a separated left shoulder from reaching for the alarm clock to go to a tournament.

To all, be cautious about playing through the pain, and self-diagnosis. You may turn a small injury into a major injury that involves surgery, medical expense, and/or months or longer of not playing disc golf.

So I shouldn't have started movement on my shoulder immediately after my first surgery? They said I would be down for 6-8weeks. I couldn't accept that. What do they know about my body? Stupid quacks. I won a 3 round, one day event 16 days later. If they knew what they were doing I wouldn't have needed another surgery 5 years later.

I strained my rotator throwing tommies a few months after I started and knocked myself out for a couple of weeks.

Worse: non-DG injury. I damaged both wrists, both shoulders, and my entire throwing forearm when loading a truck at work. The guy didn't set his air brakes, his truck rolled forward, and I flipped. Was out for 3.5 months with physical therapy. Tried to come back too soon, constantly kept straining it. Took the entire late fall and winter off last (and this) year. I do not think it fully repaired. Throwing about 50-75 feet less now.

What I learned is I shouldn't have pushed it. Gotta just walk away. I am just grateful I still get to play. Still hurts occasionally, but feel more like a strong carpal tunnel pain. It goes away after a day or two of rest.

So I shouldn't have started movement on my shoulder immediately after my first surgery? They said I would be down for 6-8weeks. I couldn't accept that. What do they know about my body? Stupid quacks. I won a 3 round, one day event 16 days later. If they knew what they were doing I wouldn't have needed another surgery 5 years later.

Your mistake was going to those stupid quacks the first time. You should have fixed it yourself.

I have played with a serverely sprain knee and ankle before. I didn't injure myself playing DG tho. Put me out of playing for over a two months, tho I tried to played serveral times. Sprained my knee and couldn't walk on it for two weeks and then I rolled my ankle and was bruised from my knee down to my toes. Still have problems from those injuries from back in Jan and Feb.

This ^^ is the best feedback that people can take away from this thread.

For example, just because you have a pain in your elbow doesn't mean that your diagnosis is tendinitis. It just means that your symptoms are being presented as pain in your elbow, but the cause of the problem could be anywhere else in the musculature that is engaged during a throw (which includes any number of interconnected muscle groups). Go see a doc. If you don't like what they tell you, go see a different doc, but medical advice is recommended for any persistent pain.