• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Injury Recovery Wisdom

Penscup

I have been playing for about a year. I am a near sixty heavy set guy. Two weeks ago I suffered a bimalleolar fracture of my left ankle on tee while playing with my son and grandson. I am looking forward to getting back but will need some limitations. My age limits speed of healing and weighs as a playing concern.
Has anyone else experienced this injury? If so how did you go about your recovery and restarting play? Thanks.

I have been playing for about a year. I am a near sixty heavy set guy. Two weeks ago I suffered a bimalleolar fracture of my left ankle on tee while playing with my son and grandson. I am looking forward to getting back but will need some limitations. My age limits speed of healing and weighs as a playing concern.
Has anyone else experienced this injury? If so how did you go about your recovery and restarting play? Thanks.

58 myself, and currently recovering from a quite different injury (ruptured quad tendons).
The only advice I have is:

1) Share your goals with your medical professionals, and listen to them.

2) Listen to your body.

Hope you heal up well!

Last edited:

I am 52 and have always had bad knees (3 surgeries on the left, only injuries on the right) and actually blew my knee out trying to throw it hard on grass. Took a few weeks off and came back with a knee brace for a few months after that.

I started to throw only standstills when I came back, partially to avoid another injury and partially because it was much easier to improve my form from a standstill. Now I throw using the open-to-closed stance and can reach ~300' which is good enough for me. Not sure if I'll add any kind of runup in the future, maybe a Paul Oman walk-up, but for now leaving things as-is since I'm still trying to get my form down.

Latest posts