• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova 150 class plastic

BigAl724

Par Member
Diamond level trusted reviewer
What does the Innova 150 class plastic add to normal champion or star plastics? Can't find much about it.

What do you mean by add? Flight wise it's a little easier to get up to speed and a little more sensitive to form flaws. In terms of plastic, the biggest difference is that they don't use the weighting agent that they use in heavier discs so they tend to be a little more flexible.

It is not a plastic type. 150 is the "weight" class of the disc. My son throws a 150 weight Dragon on calm days, and can drive the **** out of it!

Most 150-class discs are easier to get up to speed, therefore showing their intended flight characteristics easier. However, they tend to not hold up to wind as well and, as mashnut noted, don't hide form flaws (which can be both a positive and a negative). I have recently moved to 150-class drivers, and the biggest benefit for me is that it has taken stress off of my injured elbow. As a result, I can play a couple rounds now without my arm wanting to fall off, and I get comparable (if not better) distance.

Besides Innova, Latitude has some good 150-class stuff in the Diamond and their Air line. Discraft also has a pretty wide selection of 150s.

I had a 150 DX wraith (orange), and throw it LHBH. it turned WAY WAY WAY left, with a gentle fade. Completely different disc from my 168/169 pro wraiths, despite being the "same" mold. That one flipped into a ditch and washed away. Boo Hoo.

I have improved my form and distance a bit during the last month and a half, and I got a new one: same color, same flight path. I was able to adjust for it, and I can rip some big distance, and occasional accuracy. Ha ha.

Being DX plastic, they beat in easily. I got a 150 wraith (white) on credit at PIAS. IT was there, and I wanted to have a spare in case I trashed my new hotness. It flies straighter, less turn. I suspect this is typical, one disc being slightly different from another of the same mold. WIth less mass, differences between them will be magnified when you toss them hard enough.

I have a 150 champ Mamba that beats in like champ plastic, and I can get that one out 300' on occasion, WHEN I THROW IT RIGHT. It flips up from a gentle hyzer, like a 151 g Westside King that I throw. Both of these discs are my favorite! Ugh, too much to figure out beyond that I really like lighter discs for distance, and I need to tighten up my long drives to take advantage of how they perform.

I would LOVE to see 150 class Laces, just because!!!

I can throw a heavy fairway driver about 300 feet on a good drive.

If I try to throw a heavy distance driver, it fades out fast and early and I actually lose distance because of that.

If I throw a 150 class distance driver it doesn't fade out fast and early, and I can get about the same distance as with the heavy fairway driver, but I feel I have less control with it and that it is much more vulnerable to wind. If I had infinite bag space (or a cart) I might carry a 150 blizzard boss just to use on long open holes in big tailwind. But that's it.

I had a 150 DX wraith (orange), and throw it LHBH. it turned WAY WAY WAY left, with a gentle fade. Completely different disc from my 168/169 pro wraiths, despite being the "same" mold. That one flipped into a ditch and washed away. Boo Hoo.
I found a 140 Dx Wraith at our Academy. If I do everything perfect, it's my longest disc. Like you said, it flies totally different than any other Wraith I've ever thrown. Flight was more like a Mamba. Not carrying it now, but should be great for my wife if she ever gets more into throwing.

What does the Innova 150 class plastic add to normal champion or star plastics? Can't find much about it.

The ability to use them in Japan without being a criminal for throwing "weapons". No joke.
Here in the midwest, 150g plastic just means you're at the mercy of the wind.

150 class discs are "pure".

Most golf discs normally weigh in this range, but manufacturers like Innova, add extra chemicals, usually metal salts, to the TPE, to get discs up to maximum weight range.

Most golf discs normally weigh in this range, but manufacturers like Innova, add extra chemicals, usually metal salts, to the TPE, to get discs up to maximum weight range.

Never knew this until today. I had a 150 Shark that I liked to putt with - thing just went in a straight line. It's gone now though:(

Not quite true on the wide rimmed drivers, those need a bigger volume of plastic anyway so it's actually difficult to make them lighter (hence the addition of bubbles).

What do you mean by add? Flight wise it's a little easier to get up to speed and a little more sensitive to form flaws. In terms of plastic, the biggest difference is that they don't use the weighting agent that they use in heavier discs so they tend to be a little more flexible.

^This.

A lot of the champ in 150g that I've personally felt is waay more flexible, and a bit on the gummy side even. At least compared to the heavier runs of champ.

FWIW, I throw all my drivers in 150 champ and I usually get stacks at a time, so I've seen more 150g champ discs than most people, probably.

I can throw the lightweight discs further but as has been stated they are not so good in windy conditions. You really need a mix of weights in your bag.

^This.

A lot of the champ in 150g that I've personally felt is waay more flexible, and a bit on the gummy side even. At least compared to the heavier runs of champ.

FWIW, I throw all my drivers in 150 champ and I usually get stacks at a time, so I've seen more 150g champ discs than most people, probably.

^^^
I challenge you to a 150g disc-off!!!! And so would Vegan Ray!

My current tourney bag includes:
150g Champ TeeBird
149g Star TeeBird
157g Champ Beast
150g Champ Sidewinder
155g Champ Valkyrie
2 - 150g Blizzard Katanas
147g Blizzard Vulcan
157g Star Archon
161g Champ Archon
160g Champ Sidewinder
150g Champ Ontario Cobra
150g Champ San Marino Roc
160g Champ Roc3
162g Star Mako
150g Star Wedge
150g Star Skeeter

And I have a bunch of back-ups for each one. Once I hit 45 yrs old I realized my arm speed was slowing down - I couldn't generate enough speed to keep heavier driver discs in the air long enough to get good distance. Switching to lighter plastic allowed me to get drivers to fly farther, with lots of glide. And unlike Steve's comment above, I have no problem with headwinds or heavy wind (as I'll demonstrate to him later today). If you put enough snap/spin on lighter plastic, it will hold your line just fine.

And I have found that Innova has the best selection of 150-class discs throughout their lineup. They have more models available in lighter weights than anyone else, especially if you check out herodiscusa.com.

^ and I thought I was a lightweight. :p

My fiancee doesn't throw any drivers or fairway drivers over 150, and she handles wind just fine with them. I'd agree Rizbee that you can definitely handle windy days with that kind of bag, Ashleigh shot quite well with her current setup the last few years in Chicago and on road trips to places like Kansas, Oklahoma and Texas. :)

^^^
I challenge you to a 150g disc-off!!!! And so would Vegan Ray!

My current tourney bag includes:
150g Champ TeeBird
149g Star TeeBird
157g Champ Beast
150g Champ Sidewinder
155g Champ Valkyrie
2 - 150g Blizzard Katanas
147g Blizzard Vulcan
157g Star Archon
161g Champ Archon
160g Champ Sidewinder
150g Champ Ontario Cobra
150g Champ San Marino Roc
160g Champ Roc3
162g Star Mako
150g Star Wedge
150g Star Skeeter

And I have a bunch of back-ups for each one. Once I hit 45 yrs old I realized my arm speed was slowing down - I couldn't generate enough speed to keep heavier driver discs in the air long enough to get good distance. Switching to lighter plastic allowed me to get drivers to fly farther, with lots of glide. And unlike Steve's comment above, I have no problem with headwinds or heavy wind (as I'll demonstrate to him later today). If you put enough snap/spin on lighter plastic, it will hold your line just fine.

And I have found that Innova has the best selection of 150-class discs throughout their lineup. They have more models available in lighter weights than anyone else, especially if you check out herodiscusa.com.

Rizbee,
I am curious what weight putter you use. I throw 150 class drivers, and use mids/putters at 165-172. I have recently gotten some 150 class mids to try out, and a couple 150 putters to practice with.

Latest posts