• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova adjusts speed classifications

How many disc classes?

• 3 - Putter, Midrange, Driver

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 4 - Putt/Approach, Midrange, Fairway and Distance Driver

Votes: 60 63.2%
  • 5 - Putt/Approach, Midrange, Fairway, Control, and Distance Driver

Votes: 29 30.5%

• Total voters

EagleWings

Par Member
With the release of the GStar Teebird3, Innova was forced to either consider this speed 8 version of the Teebird a Distance Driver or to classify their Speed 8's as Fairway Drivers. They chose the latter, narrowing Distance drivers to speed 9-13, and expanding Fairway drivers to 6-8. What is your opinion on this? Has Innova been slow to change their ratings as other companies release their own higher speed faiway drivers?

Should there be 5 classes of discs: Putt/Approach, Midrange, Fairway, Control, and Distance?
Control would be around 9-11, and Distance would be 12-15 (though Innova hasn't released higher than 13 yet, other companies have, including the recent speed 15 Latitude Missilen).
Thanks for your feedback :)

I really don't think it matters either way honestly. Just throw discs with rim widths that are comfortable and do what you need them to.

Innova's the only one keeping it real lol. A speed 10 fairway driver. No.

I really don't think it matters either way honestly. Just throw discs with rim widths that are comfortable and do what you need them to.

yup you could put speed 20 on a driver and ill still use their speed 9s

With the release of the GStar Teebird3, Innova was forced to either consider this speed 8 version of the Teebird a Distance Driver or to classify their Speed 8's as Fairway Drivers. They chose the latter, narrowing Distance drivers to speed 9-13, and expanding Fairway drivers to 6-8. What is your opinion on this? Has Innova been slow to change their ratings as other companies release their own higher speed faiway drivers?

Should there be 5 classes of discs: Putt/Approach, Midrange, Fairway, Control, and Distance?
Control would be around 9-11, and Distance would be 12-15 (though Innova hasn't released higher than 13 yet, other companies have, including the recent speed 15 Latitude Missilen).
Thanks for your feedback :)

13 is the cutoff, it relates to the rim width, those other companies are just using that as a marketing ploy, discs like the Boss and Katana have the legal max of 2.5 cm, the stuff from Latitude, Legacy, etc is really no faster except for the Ninja but you can't use those in sanctioned play.

Remember when the gazelle was a distance driver? Or even the stingray for that matter?

They're always changing, it's just words man.

Or even before that. Stingray was late 80s (86'-88' I believe) and the Gazelle wasn't until 93' or 94'. The Aero and Aviar were around more like 82'.

As for 2014, putter/mid/fairway/distance.

Control drivers are distance drivers that aren't too absolutely ridiculous. They're the grey area. An OLF is certainly faster and wider rimmed than a JLS but I believe it's considered a control driver by most.

I don't pay attention to flight numbers - honestly I prefer to not know them and go by comparisons to other molds:|

The current four classes are fine. Adding speed 8 to the fairway range only make sense because those discs are more like speed 6/7 discs like the traditional Teebird than they are a true distance driver like a Destroyer. Adding a 5th class for 'control drivers' would only make things more confusing for new disc buyers.

I'm on the fence about this one. An Escape is a very long fairway, or a short distance driver. Those speed 9s and 10s seem caught in-between. Also, a speed 10 Beast or PD don't quite seem to measure up to the ultra-long distance drivers like a Destroyer, Havoc etc.

I usually consider 6-8 fairway, 9-10 control and 11+ distance.

If I had to simplify, though, I'd go 6-9 fairway, 10+ distance.

Innova's the only one keeping it real lol. A speed 10 fairway driver. No.

and Legacy :p but yeah this is how i feel as well ... dunno if it bothers me because i dont have the "true" arm speed for some of these speed 10 "fairway" drivers :eek: or just because when i started playing fairway drivers where speed 7ish and thats what im used to but jeez some of the these "fairway" speeds seem insane to me.. to that same point i guess Vipers and Teebirds were also "distance drivers" at one point in time .. but yeah Speed 7 Fairways FTW :hfive:

This. For some people a speed 9 driver may be a fairway driver, for others it's a max distance driver. Whatever works.

13 is the cutoff, it relates to the rim width, those other companies are just using that as a marketing ploy, discs like the Boss and Katana have the legal max of 2.5 cm, the stuff from Latitude, Legacy, etc is really no faster except for the Ninja but you can't use those in sanctioned play.

max is 2.6

This. For some people a speed 9 driver may be a fairway driver, for others it's a max distance driver. Whatever works.

i agree 100% .. the classifications really dont change a thing .. just one of those lil things that erks me a bit lol

Distance would be 12-15 (though Innova hasn't released higher than 13 yet, other companies have, including the recent speed 15 Latitude Missilen).
Lat's speed 14/15 stuff is no wider in the rim than Innova's 13, which is just one more thing that annoys me about them. If you're going to copy Innova's flight ratings then at least copy them exactly so you don't add even more confusion to things.

Given that Lat 14=Innova 13 I wonder if Lat 9 = Innova 7. I'll have to check the PDGA specs page when I have more time.

Lat's speed 14/15 stuff is no wider in the rim than Innova's 13, which is just one more thing that annoys me about them. If you're going to copy Innova's flight ratings then at least copy them exactly so you don't add even more confusion to things.

Given that Lat 14=Innova 13 I wonder if Lat 9 = Innova 7. I'll have to check the PDGA specs page when I have more time.

Trilogy ratings are all over the place. The Saint is a true 9 though, so they got that right.