• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Innova Beast

That was my general take. The old mold Beast was right out there on the edge of how fast a disc I could actually throw, and it had a good fade/glide combination. It seemed to be a disc that a wide variety of players found a use for. Because it covered such a variety of skill levels, what worked best as a replacement varied.

Orcs faded earlier and harder on me, and since it was already questionable for me to be throwing a disc that fast I got the added bonus of some speed stability thrown in there. It was a disc I just could not throw. Starfires fell into the same range for me, just a bit too fast/overstable for me to work with. The Starfire L was a lot closer to the old mold Beast for my skill level. For players with more power, the SL flipped too easily and the added stability of the Starfire made it a better option. Some must have liked Orcs as well, although I don't know why. :|

So I think our experience with the old mold Beast line up, we just were at different ends of the "variety of skill levels" that could throw the disc. Where you moved on to Wraiths and Destroyers, I eventually just went back to throwing Valks.

Valkyrie was my fastest speed driver until 2014 when I got as well as discovered the Destroyers in Champion. I was always wishing a combo of the Orc top and wing shape would come about, Destroyer is just that. I never fully liked those discs Orc, Beast, or Wraith, settling for keeping the Valkyrie as my fastest disc for a long time. I know the Destroyer in lighter weight like my 167 gram Champion one is at my limit for no wind days. The heavier 170 gram is too much for me but is used in high wind situations.

The original or "x" mold Beast is my favorite driver ever! I'm still waiting for them to produce them in glow plastic, only disc missing from my glow bag!!

The original or "x" mold Beast is my favorite driver ever! I'm still waiting for them to produce them in glow plastic, only disc missing from my glow bag!!

It sounds like people really like the flight of the 'X' Beast. I've got my fingers crossed about the hand feel. There's been comparisons to the Orc and I didn't like the FH grip of that. Hope it's different.

Arrived today. I believe this to be a Beast-X. It's got the current Champion stamp on the front with the Barry sig. Just says Beast though, no X. Got it out for a few throws. 175g. Flew 10/5/-1/2. Great hand feel FH & BH. Really liked it. I may have to order a G* since there aren't apparently any runs of the Beast X in Star.

:thmbup:

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpg
    IMG_1378.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 60
Hard to tell from the picture if that's a Beast-X, might just be my eyes, but I can't see the curve in the wing. You are correct though, they never made a production run of the star Beast-X. The only one I know to exist is the old special blend that I have from the SB Orc era with DD initials on top. The G* are pretty nice though, I use them when I play target golf on the beach, flight is very similar to my old Pre Barrys that I bag, but nothing beats the old pearly plastic!! Do yourself a favor and find a pearly thrower, I might know a guy...

Arrived today. I believe this to be a Beast-X. It's got the current Champion stamp on the front with the Barry sig. Just says Beast though, no X. Got it out for a few throws. 175g. Flew 10/5/-1/2. Great hand feel FH & BH. Really liked it. I may have to order a G* since there aren't apparently any runs of the Beast X in Star.

It would be great if someone could do a side-by-side image comparison of the two Beast molds. Anyone have both?

I live in Wisconsin, so I will always throw a Beast.

The L Version is a great disc for long wooded holes, where you need a low ceiling turnover shot.

I live in Wisconsin, so I will always throw a Beast.

The L Version is a great disc for long wooded holes, where you need a low ceiling turnover shot.

Could you post a rim profile of your L-Beast?

Is it because Barry is from Wisconsin that you always bag a Beast?

Isnt that the L mold?

Isnt that the L mold?

That bottom piece does look L-"ish"...

I have 2 older Beasts. I'll get a picture of them and post them, as soon as I can. I also have an Interia. I've been really liking it lately.

couldn't find anything.

6fb7065f.jpg

be975036.jpg

:D:D:D

VBwN7eV.jpg

new mold vs. old mold

91x6Zob.jpg

old mold vs. old mold

ri18ugh.jpg

old mold vs. something that was sold to me as new mold, but lacks patent #s and looks almost like a mix of the two?

UBsxRM9.jpg

new mold vs. something that was sold to me as new mold, but lacks patent #s and looks almost like a mix of the two?

edit: ugh these pictures do not show the rims very well. i'll try to swap them out with better ones

You think you're so smart don't you? :|

Thanks, I'm certain my Champion Beast is an L. It flies really great. Now I've got to order another online to get a hold of an X. If an X actually flies close to a Wraith in stability I may not need anything faster than a speed 10.

I may not need anything faster than a speed 10.

Wise words we should all apply to ourselves.

It's not easy to tell between an X and an L Beast. I had look at my old one and compare it to a new one to notice anything. Now, it's a little easier but I still bring out my L to compare. L's make great rollers when they beat. Xs are pure bomb-discs.

Latest posts